LegacyGT.com

Leather Conditioner

What are you all using for leather conditioner, and how do you like it?

I bought my car used, so i am operating under the assumption it was never done (2005 model year).

I started with two applications of meguiar's gold class premium leather care, but the leather still wasn't as supple and soft as i wanted, so i did it again after a couple days, then got some spray conditioner (turtle wax something or other leather conditioner) so i could get the perforate sections done without having the thicker paste / lotion style fill the holes.

I went nuts with it and applied it over and over again. The seats are clean and softer, (and slippery...) but the leather still isn't as soft as i could get my last car's leather.

Is this the nature of the beast? If so i'm okay with that, as it is still nice, just not... soft.

Thoughts?

What are you all using for leather conditioner, and how do you like it?

I bought my car used, so i am operating under the assumption it was never done (2005 model year).

I started with two applications of meguiar's gold class premium leather care, but the leather still wasn't as supple and soft as i wanted, so i did it again after a couple days, then got some spray conditioner (turtle wax something or other leather conditioner) so i could get the perforate sections done without having the thicker paste / lotion style fill the holes.

I went nuts with it and applied it over and over again. The seats are clean and softer, (and slippery...) but the leather still isn't as soft as i could get my last car's leather.

Is this the nature of the beast? If so i'm okay with that, as it is still nice, just not... soft.

Thoughts?

Leather in my 05 is not what I would call supple. I posted a review a while back with the links below. Hope it helps. I use Lexol.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31471&d=1170557909

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31472&d=1170557944

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31473&d=1170557977

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31474&d=1170558006

Do a search in the interior forum on "leather conditioner". You'll find a few people who've had success softening up their leather using brands such as Wolfgang, Pinnacle, and Leatherique (which is considered by most to be the best, but requires a bit more time and effort in application).

• 2 weeks later...

I use Lexol, usually. It doesn't make leather much softer, but it does seem to do a good job of preserving it.

Mink oil will soften leather, but it's greasy. I've used it on stiff boots and other leather, and it softens it right up. I'm not sure I'd put it on seats, though...

Ben

Lexol smells like rancid Yak urine. I don't care how well it works... if my car is going to make people ill (which has been reported by Lexol users on other forums) then it isn't getting near me.

Here's the thing... If your skin were dried out and cracking, would the product you chose to repair your hands be in a spray bottle or a lotion bottle? A spray just won't do the same thing that a lotion will do. Definitely keep that in mind as you care for your leather.

Wolfgang is one of my favorite leather conditioners due to it's effectiveness and the smell. :) However, with our perforated seats you may find value in using a gel conditioner instead of a lotion. Lotions can get in the perforations if you aren't careful. It isn't a problem if you watch it, but products like Danase Leather RX or Poorboy's Leather Stuff are gel products that clean and condition in one step. You'll never make the leather any softer than it already is, but you can preserve it from cracking sooner than it needs to. Subaru leather is actually very poor quality stuff compared to even Honda or Nissan leather. They didn't do us any favors with what they put in the Legacy, so be sure you keep it conditioned. I maintained the hell out of my leather and I still couldn't keep it from wearing much more rapidly than any other leather seat I have had. It's just the nature of the beast I guess.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Lexol smells like rancid Yak urine. I don't care how well it works... if my car is going to make people ill (which has been reported by Lexol users on other forums) then it isn't getting near me.

Here's the thing... If your skin were dried out and cracking, would the product you chose to repair your hands be in a spray bottle or a lotion bottle? A spray just won't do the same thing that a lotion will do. Definitely keep that in mind as you care for your leather.

Wolfgang is one of my favorite leather conditioners due to it's effectiveness and the smell. :) However, with our perforated seats you may find value in using a gel conditioner instead of a lotion. Lotions can get in the perforations if you aren't careful. It isn't a problem if you watch it, but products like Danase Leather RX or Poorboy's Leather Stuff are gel products that clean and condition in one step. You'll never make the leather any softer than it already is, but you can preserve it from cracking sooner than it needs to. Subaru leather is actually very poor quality stuff compared to even Honda or Nissan leather. They didn't do us any favors with what they put in the Legacy, so be sure you keep it conditioned. I maintained the hell out of my leather and I still couldn't keep it from wearing much more rapidly than any other leather seat I have had. It's just the nature of the beast I guess.

I will say that the Leatherique stuff made my leather softer...
:spin:

Ok, let me put it this way... The leather can't be made to be softer than it came from day one. What may have happened is it restored it, but it didn't make it any softer than the day the car was made. That isn't how leather conditioners work and it isn't how treated automotive leather works.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Usually just get the girlfriend to a dark lot under a bridge somewhere and get it on without any protection. The natural oils/liquids keep it nice and soft! :lol::lol::lol:

But seriously the black leather is tougher than the beige one. Not sure which one you have.

X

---

The leather probably isn't the best quality stuff in the first place. Go to a local car dealer or two and see if any of their recon teams get Malco products, I have used there products alot and they are great. You can buy a gallon of their Leather & Plastic cleaner and used it on everything inside and it works well for door jambs too. They have a lotion style conditioner too that is the best stuff i have got my hands on. I think the last time i bought some, 3 years ago?, they were like $10 a piece or so and they last forever. I have detailed the inside of atleast a dozen cars and still have half a gallon or more of the cleaner left.

Ok, let me put it this way... The leather can't be made to be softer than it came from day one. What may have happened is it restored it, but it didn't make it any softer than the day the car was made. That isn't how leather conditioners work and it isn't how treated automotive leather works.
Well, I did the leatherique process less than a month after I got the car. I went through the full process twice. I thought it was MUCH softer (more like a nice jacket) and I had 3 different folks who had ridden in the car before comment on it with no knowledge that I had done anything...
:spin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I found this "alcantara questions - there is no product that should be used on it for cleaning purposes. It can be vacuumed and cleaned with a damp cloth if necessary. There are also procedures for spot removal."

Here's a link to their site and their is a PDF document towards the right with details

http://alcantara.com/en/experience/manutenzione/manutenzione.shtml

yea i bought my 98 and it already had leather that you could tell has been worn some. it isnt ripped at all but its creased and on the verge of cracking in some spots over the next year, will these products help keep it from falling apart or is there no hope. is there a product to make it get itself back together??

leather conditioners will restore supplness if applied correctly

I've only used Spinneybeck (a fav among the BMW crowd) and Leatherique's 2 step rejuvinator and conditioner, I prefer the Leatherique which can be sourced directly.

If you do get it, don't get the smaller containers get the mid size since leather thats in bad condition will need generous + repeat applications to get into decent shape again.

Whatever product you use, I recommend this applicator. It installs on a PC 7424.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/76-810lr.jpg

Grey Ultra Soft Upholstery Brush: This brush is designed for your most delicate carpet and upholstery. Works wonders on lush, leather interiors! Each bristle is split in to multiple fine tips, making it the perfect brush to use on headliners, leather upholstery, natural fibers, and carpets.

http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-brushes.html

I don't work for autogeek, just a consumer. I like this brush, because you can use less conditioner and get great results. Especially good for perforated leather.

I no longer have a leather interior but on my old car (VW Passat) I used this:

1Z Einszett Leather Care

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-leather-care.html

This stuff smells awesome!

In fact all of the 1Z Einszett interior products smell great and leave your car smelling like new. My friend even commented one time that my car always smells new.

Archived