LegacyGT.com

Front End Noise: AHHHH!

I've got a new noise in my front end, and I'm usually able to tell what it is, but not this time -

It is rotational, you hear the noise once per rotation, I thought it might be brake related but i have no pulsing in the pedal - :redface:

And you only hear it at low speeds, turning left does nothing, turning right makes it go away.

Apply the brakes or gas, it goes away.

It is not a clicking, like a CV joint generally makes when it is going out, I am guessing that it could be a wheel bearing.

Of course, when I lifted the car and spun the wheels, I could not hear a darn thing!

Hoping to have the wife drive it while I run beside it, listening ever so intently.....

Any common issues that I should be aware of???

Thanks in advance!!

Probably a wheel bearing. Jack up the front, then put hands on top and bottom of tire, move it back and forth. See if it wiggles. Also try left and right sides of tire using same wiggle test. Should all be tight. If it wiggles or u feel any movement then you know somethings loose or warn.

• I Donated

Grab the wheel while its jacked up and see if it has any play. As well grab the spring on the strut and spin the wheel. You may not hear it, but you can feel it if you do it this way if its a wheel bearing.

As well, just because your brake pedal isnt pulsating doesn't mean its not a brake problem. Check to make sure the dust shield behind the rotor is rubbing on the rotor.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Thanks for the replies - When I lifted the car earlier, everything felt "tight". I'm with you in thinking wheel bearing, just wish I could replicate the sound when the car is off the ground or "feel" what is wrong.

I need -

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~reynard/la_caco/prank_flyers/flyer6.gif

:lol:

OK, now I should go lift it again and recheck - good thought on grabbing the spring, thanks!

The low speed part seems inconsistent with a wheel bearing, while the turning part does. I would think that a high speed turn to the right would bring it out. As mentioned above, it could literally be on the very beginning of failing and as you drive it more, it'll worsen. Keep us posted.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I've got a new noise in my front end, and I'm usually able to tell what it is, but not this time -

It is rotational, you hear the noise once per rotation, I thought it might be brake related but i have no pulsing in the pedal - :redface:

And you only hear it at low speeds, turning left does nothing, turning right makes it go away.

Apply the brakes or gas, it goes away.

It is not a clicking, like a CV joint generally makes when it is going out, I am guessing that it could be a wheel bearing.

Of course, when I lifted the car and spun the wheels, I could not hear a darn thing!

Hoping to have the wife drive it while I run beside it, listening ever so intently.....

Any common issues that I should be aware of???

Thanks in advance!!

Yeah, watch out for the wife running you over! hehehe

sorry, couldn't help it.

The wheel bearing would be suspect mainly due to the fact that the change in load when changing steering direction results in a change in the symptom. Although wheel bearing noise is more commonly noticed at a higher speed than you will ever be able to run, I have heard noises as you described when a car was going less than 10 mph. If you had access to someone with an electronic ear ( [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Diagnostic-Combo-Electronic-Stethoscope-Chassis/dp/B004Y6NBAC]Amazon.com: Auto Diagnostic Combo Electronic Stethoscope & Chassis Ears: Home Improvement[/ame] )you should be able to determine the source of the noise without throwing parts at your car.

Good luck

OK, I'll take a idiot of the week medal.

Shop called, only thing wrong was loose lugnuts.

Just had new tires put on, I should of checked/retorqued them like I always have on every other car!

They did find one bad tie rod end, getting it replaced and a alignment.

Asked for a price on belts/waterpump/tranny service and repair a leaking power steering pump, $1200.00

Maybe later......

• I Donated
OK, I'll take a idiot of the week medal.

Shop called, only thing wrong was loose lugnuts.

It happens to the best of us from time to time.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I was going to say check the lugs but looks like you found out. Had a wheel coming off on a Sentra I was driving once (some idiot at the Walmart tire center put all four nuts on backwards). Luckily I caught it before they backed off all of the way. Same thing happened though, would stop making noise when turning a certain way.

Well, the steering does feel a little tighter thanks to the new inner tie rod end and alignment.

Nice to have the car back, not nice to hear it could use a power steering pump (leak). The shop estimated $1200.00 to repair that, replace the timing belt (w/rollers) and water pump as well as a transmission service.

Not really needing those repairs right now, the timing belt was done 30K ago, but I may start on those "projects" when time allows.

I do want to see what it up with the power steering pump....

Thanks for the input everyone!

Archived