LegacyGT.com

Passenger Side metal noise

1996 Subaru Legacy L

I replaced both my CV axles yesterday. Now when I drive on the passenger side I hear a metal on metal noise. It gets louder as I drive faster. Anyone know what I should look for when I take it apart? It sounds like maybe something rubbing on the rotor.

Also the clicking noise when turning has stopped of course. Both boots were torn. But when I drive straight the wheel kinda shakes and it makes this knocking noise in the left front tire area. It did this before I replaced the CV Axles I thought the reason it was doing it was because of the axles. Anyone know anything about this? Or the cause?

srry i cant really help much on this issue as im stumped as well, double check each side and see if there are any irregularities with each other, I want to say something is spinning. Maybe the metal clamp that holds down the boot but not too sure

could be a dust shield rubbing on the inside of the rotor, look for shiny metal too close to the rotor. Also could be a wheel bearing but that would be more of a grinding noise, check for play in the wheel bearing.

I will have to jack the car up tommorrow. It's been bad here. I hope its the dust shield. If it's the wheel bearing :( I have had one thing after another this past week with the car. I had the CV boots ripped on both sides. Battery died last night. Has a knock noise like something is loose in the front left tire.

knocking. CHECK the lugs. i swear if i would of lost a front wheel today i would be dead right now. does anyone know how these handle without a front tire.

i know how it is without a rear tire. lost one today. in fact. if you were death you would barely notice a rear tire come off.

knocking. CHECK the lugs. i swear if i would of lost a front wheel today i would be dead right now. does anyone know how these handle without a front tire.

i know how it is without a rear tire. lost one today. in fact. if you were death you would barely notice a rear tire come off.

I did. I torqued them. There is another boot of some sort ripped. It's the boot more towards the front of the car. I can't figure out what that is and if it's the culprit. If you're facing the left side of the car dead on. And look where the CV boot is just to the left of that.

• 9 months later...

When you get a CV boot replaced, assuming they did the job right, could something have gone wrong or could they have messed up and now it's the wheel bearing going?

Put another way: when doing a CV boot repair, is it possible that the wheel bearing could have been damaged in the process?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, don't knock it. The responses made you come back and reveal the original problem, which may answer my front-driver-side-only-when-going-forward-metal/metal-contact-whine question.

Resurrected thread ftw.

When you get a CV boot replaced, assuming they did the job right, could something have gone wrong or could they have messed up and now it's the wheel bearing going?

Put another way: when doing a CV boot repair, is it possible that the wheel bearing could have been damaged in the process?

the answer to this is yes, you can damage the bearings when replacing the axle half shaft. if you leave the wheel on the ground when you remove the axle nut you can mis-align the bearing. have the wheel off the ground when you remove the nut.

or if you beat on the axle TOO much when trying to remove it from the hub you can damage them.

...and then it went away.

When I went to move it so I could get the wheel off today, there was no noise. At all.

It appears the dealership gave me the wrong lock back, so I couldn't check the brake, but I drove a few miles today and it's back to no sound at all.

I guess, maybe, something was stuck against the rotor that came out when I reversed into a parking spot Monday morning.

(shrug)

Archived