LegacyGT.com

Amsoil European Full-SAPS 5w-40??

I'm changing the oil on my 05 GT. I bought the car last November with ~65k miles. It's stage 2 with 300whp on a VF52 that has a larger oil feed line. Owner was running M1 0w-50 racing oil - he said the thicker weight would help with the reduced pressure of a larger oil line. I replaced it in late November with RP 5w-30 cause there was an great deal on it at Pep Boys and it was the OEM recommended oil. I've heard of people running German Castrol in their turbo Subarus and the thicker weight oil theory checks out so I was wondering if the same concept could apply to the Amsoil version?

From what I've heard SAPS is essentially a measure of the protection of the emission systems on the car based on the metallic anti-wear additives. My car has no catalytic converters so I figured I could run full SAPS to get the maximum add pack possible. I saw that Amsoil recently came out with a full SAPS 5w-40 and wanted give it a try. I finally broke down and got a case of 12 with 2 Amsoil filters instead of the 5w-30 Signature Series. (The 12 quarts and 2 filters were cheaper than just the 12 pack of the SS alone!!)

Does anybody see possible problems running this oil in a modified non-Euro car, granted there is no emission system on it? I will be getting a pre OA and post OA at about 3500 miles since this oil is so new to the market. I'm interested to get your guys opinion...

Rally,

The Amsoil "European Formulas" are specifically intended for use in multivalve, turbocharged engines so this oil will work well for you. It's less expensive than some of Amsoils other products because they can use higher levels of ZDDP and calcium instead of pricier, ashless anti wear additives and oxidation inhibitors. From reviewing the MSDS, the base stock looks to be a mixture of Group III, PAO and Esters. This is typical for synthetics that meet the more stringent European OEM lube requirements.

I'd expect running a 7500 mile oil change interval shouldn't be an issue. I run the Amsoil EAO-12 oil filter in my non turbo, 2.5L Outback; changed every 15k miles. It keeps the oil looking fairly clean even with these long service intervals.

TS

Both my cars are now on this oil, I have been using the previous 5w-40 European for all most 2 years now.

HAMMERDOWN is also using the new SAPS formula. He got me into the Amsoil

I use thier E15K13 filters on Mike's recommenation.

I you want to keep using Amsoil, you should join as a member and use http://www.AZPinstalls.com as your sponsor.

You can also buy most of what you want for your car from Mike at AZPinstalls.com just email him and have him give you a price.

I have bought lots from him, and had great customer service.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'd normally recommend the less expensive WIX filters from Amsoil for a 5000-7500 mile service interval. However, since these engines have the potential turbo screen, plugging issue, I think the higher efficiency, higher capacity EAO is preferred in this application.

TS

Rally,

If you need something even more robust than the European Formulas, I'd recommend the Amsoil 10w-40, High Performance Motor oil (product code "AMO"). It's about 15% thicker - specifically in terms of high temperature, high shear (HT/HS) viscosity. It also uses a heavier, base stock blend, which helps both thermal & shear stability. Finally, it has even higher levels of antiwear (ZDDP) and detergent/dispersant additives (12 TBN).

TS

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking about doing the 10w-40 in the summertime but I'm just worried the 10w cold weight wont distribute to the seals/gaskets quick enough to get them properly lubed.

Anyway, interesting find on the virgin 5w-40 OA -- an actual TBN of 11.2 vs. the Amsoil claimed TBN of 10.1!! I guess this is pretty good stuff.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/themadtestpilot23/AMSOILEURO-011913_zps4c04375d.jpg

There's no significant difference between a 5w-40 and 10w-40 synthetic in terms of cold pumping characteristics, until you get down below -20F. It's completely a non-issue. The Amsoil 10w-40 is a PAO/Ester based, 100% synthetic oil with a lower pour point (-47F vs -38F), then this 5w-40, which uses some Group 3 base stock.

The Virgin analysis looks fine, they may have tweaked the formulation since the spec sheet came out. Flashpoint tests are only accurate to +/- 15F, hence some variance in the test data is to be expected. Blackstone also performs their TBN test different from everyone else. The boron (borate ester), you see here functions synergistically with the ZDDP as a complimentary anti-wear additive and corrosion/oxidation inhibitor.

TS

I should add that the silicon(e) seen here is an additive to prevent oil foaming at high rpms. So when you're evaluating air filtration in a used oil sample you have to keep this baseline level of the additive in mind....

TS

Yes the PAO/Ester, blended base stocks have even better, high & low temperature properties compared to Group III, "Hydroisomerized" synthetics. At low temperatures they don't require Pour Point Depressant ("PPD's") additives and they're more resistant to high temp oxidation & shearing. They also have higher viscosity indexes, so they require relatively less polymeric thickener to achieve a specific SAE grade. They are however, a few dollars more per quart. So you have to decide if the application requires an even higher performance oil, and/or a more durable oil for running extended service intervals.

Most of Amsoils top tier synthetics, including the Series 3000, 5w-30, are PAO/Ester based. The latest European oil and the less expensive OE and XL product lines are mainly Group III based. However I believe the 0w-20's in those product lines have a fair amount of PAO to achieve the low temperature properties required for the 0w grade.

TS

Archived