LegacyGT.com

Tire Pressure Monitoring System questions

Mookem

Just picked up my 07 LGT MT5 this weekend and have a bunch of questions regarding the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). I was planning on getting dedicated snows on their own wheels or putting snows on oem wheels and getting new summer wheels/tires this spring.

I did a forum word search on TPMS and it seems that every time the tires are rotated the TPMS must be reset by Subaru. I also read that new wheels require the purchase of 4 TPMS valve stems from Subaru – which my dealer said were $92 + tax each.

My questions are:

If I buy new wheels for snow tires then not only do I need to buy new valves (approx $400) but will I also need Subaru to reset the TPMS codes each time I change winter/summer wheels?

Assuming the above is true – are Subaru service departments charging to reset the TPMS if you rotate/change the wheels yourself?

If Subaru Service departments do the tire rotation do they charge additional $$ for TPMS equipped cars (due to required reset)?

Is there an OBD tool that we can purchase so that we can reset the TPMS ourselves?

Can the TPMS low light be disabled – maybe by sending OBD codes?

I guess I could compromise and go with UHP A/S tires (PZero-Nero A/S or Bridgestone 960’s) and not need a second set of wheels - but having to pay extra for Subaru service to reset TPMS codes each time the tires get rotated would be a really maddening.

Any of you that have had experience with Subaru TPMS please let me know.

I changed the stock wheels out from my car and the stupid TPMS warning light is already flashing on my dash. I thought something was wrong at first, now i'd like to know how to disable it as well, totally useless for my needs since i actually CHECK my pressures with a guage.

Ed

psucaptionkickass: Guess I wasn't too clear on the low tire pressure light constantly flashing if you don't have or use the TPMS.

I sure don't need it as I check my tire pressure all the time. I bet the majority of LGT buyers are educated enough to know to check their tire pressure - hence the TPMS is worse then useless due to the flashing low indicator.

I sure hope someone figures out how to disable the dash idiot light for it.

edkwon: I hope we find the cure - I can't believe Subaru wouldn't have a disable code option.

That doesn't help with season changes between two sets of wheels.

I think it is ridiculuous that the dealer is required every time you want to swap wheels. What a scam. I am very glad my 05 doesn't have TPMS.

That doesn't help with season changes between two sets of wheels.

I think it is ridiculuous that the dealer is required every time you want to swap wheels. What a scam. I am very glad my 05 doesn't have TPMS.

I agree. Having to pay the dealer twice a year to reset the TPMS is stupid. Why not have a reset button somewhere. Sheesh.....

I also read somewhere that it's not necessary to reset anything when you rotate tires as there is a single receiver under the drivers seat (so it really has no idea which tire is where).

Flash: I have also read that the OBD codes record which tire is low even though the diashboard display doesn't display this info and hence a reset is required. I am hoping some 07 owner who has rotated their tires can give some feedback.

psucaptionkickass: Manual says nothing about resetting/disabling the TPMS. I briefly spoke with my service department the other day and the service manager said it would have to be reset with the Subaru OBD tool. I asked if I can buy a third party tool and they said not to their knowledge. That is when I asked parts department to give me a price for the TPMS valves.

If I can't get positive info on disabling then I'm going to take it up with SOA. This probably would have been a show stopper in my purchase of this car if I had known that I'd be forced to buy $400 worth of tpms valves and have to pay Suby techs whenever tires are changed and/or rotated. If SOA has fubared the implementation of TPMS like this then at a minimum they should have the service departments doing the rotation resets for free - otherwise my being forced to pay Subaru every time I rotate tires or change wheels is a rip-off. :wub:

I know the webmaster moved this post to the Wheels/Tires forum - but I think maybe this info should be on the main Legacy forum where it may get more exposure and then allow people condering purchasing LGT's and SpecB's to be aware of this matter.

Don't know if this will help..but I'm going to call SOA and ask if I can get some techinical info on the disabling/resetting TPMS and if the resetting is NC warranty work when done by Subaru service departments - I did buy a 100k 7yr extended warranty.

Just got off the phone with SOA - it's as bad as I figured.

No way to disable dash light and tire rotations WILL require TPMS resets by the dealerships.

SOA gave me the required by law by 2009 story - which I told them is true but not allowing a user reset and forcing us to pay dealerships every time a tire rotation is done is just poor design by Subaru. I mentioned that every aftermarket system I've seen allows for user reset and multiple sets of tire valves. They said they all they could do is log my complaint into the "system". Wish I was an attorney - has to be some sort of consumer protection regarding this.

SOA said it's up to the dealers if and what they will charge to reset the TPMS - but obviously they have to charge for their techs time to hook up obd and reset codes. They also said gold warranty only covers defective tpms...not code resets. I'm sure when I ask my stealership how much I will be charged to reset the TPMS I will even more upset.

I think anyone considering purchasing a Legacy GT/Spec B should be aware of this. I am going to post this under the General Legacy forum with the title - Know this before buying 07 models - let the consumer make an informed decision - wish someone had told me.

LongHiway: I traded in my beloved Audi for my LGT - man I hope I didn't royally screw up. I would have thrown Audi allowing reset in my SOA phone discussion had I known that - not to mention I would have added some more pluses to buying another A4.

This wonderful piece of technology is brought to you courtesy of the federal Government, it iwll be on all new cars in 2008 model year.

Want to read all 118 pages of the the rule?

http://www.tipstool.com/download/Final%20Rule%2004.08.05.htm

Here is some info on the Subaru system:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiremonitor.html#start

This promises to be very annoying. I am certain there is a way to disable the system (although for a shop to do it appears to violate the law unless they are installing new , non-stock wheels), I don't know how to do it on an 07 Subaru.

You still did better with a Legacy over an Audi, just wait a few months when the lack of going back to the dealer starts to sink in.

I gotta believe with all the clever folks on this board, someone will come up with a mod or work-around.

I say take all four of them and put them in your spare tire. Drill some hole and just make sure they all read whatever the number is. No CEL and use whatever stems you want. I am sure there is an easy way around this thing.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

The cars 101 link (http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiremonitor.html#start) says the monitoring re-sets itself after driving a few miles, no mention of needing to go back to the dealer. The dealers may not be up on this yet and giving out bad info or, it's true (which even for a quirky car like a Subaru seems really dumb).

No way to disable dash light and tire rotations WILL require TPMS resets by the dealerships.

snip....

I'm still not convinced this is accurate. I believe you heard what they said but I think the person you talked to might not have the whole skinny. If the owners manual is correct in the fact that the antenna is below the drivers seat I see no way that "antenna" could tell which corner of the car a specific tire is located. From what I've read the TPMS systems that can tell which tire is at which corner have an antenna at each wheel.

Then again I've been wrong in the past... :lol:

snip....

I'm still not convinced this is accurate. I believe you heard what they said but I think the person you talked to might not have the whole skinny. If the owners manual is correct in the fact that the antenna is below the drivers seat I see no way that "antenna" could tell which corner of the car a specific tire is located. From what I've read the TPMS systems that can tell which tire is at which corner have an antenna at each wheel.

Then again I've been wrong in the past... :lol:

You are both right. The more complex systems (Honduh and Acuruh) "know" where the signal is coming from by its location. The Subaru system recognizes a sensor's signal when it is "learned" by the Select Monitor. If you move the wheel or replace a transmitter, it must be "re-learned".

Kinda farked if you ask me.

Anybody got an '05-06 OB with this system that can chime in?

-- Steve

rotation of the tires does not affect the sensors. once the sensors are "awoken"---basically turned on by the computer----the only reason the system needs to be reset is when a sensor is replaced. they can be very fragile, they're made of aluminum and are not very sturdy. the main isssue with breakage is due to tire techs breaking the tire bead by the sensor---and BAM----broken sensor.....

i managed an independent cooper tire shop and we spent $350. on the sensor tool used to wake them up......or you can use the poor man's sensor tool which consists of a big magnet and nothing else.....simply turn the key to the on position and put the magnet on the TIRE near the valve stem and when the horn beeps, sensor is reset........easy....

i'm not discounting what SOA told you, but i doubt they've changed many tires, so don't sweat it....and if you ever do get a set of aftermarket wheels, you can transfer the sensors to the new wheels, just use the magnet to turn them on....no prob.......

SOA gave me the required by law by 2009 story - which I told them is true but not allowing a user reset and forcing us to pay dealerships every time a tire rotation is done is just poor design by Subaru. I mentioned that every aftermarket system I've seen allows for user reset and multiple sets of tire valves. They said they all they could do is log my complaint into the "system". Wish I was an attorney - has to be some sort of consumer protection regarding this.

SOA said it's up to the dealers if and what they will charge to reset the TPMS - but obviously they have to charge for their techs time to hook up obd and reset codes. They also said gold warranty only covers defective tpms...not code resets. I'm sure when I ask my stealership how much I will be charged to reset the TPMS I will even more upset.

I think anyone considering purchasing a Legacy GT/Spec B should be aware of this. I am going to post this under the General Legacy forum with the title - Know this before buying 07 models - let the consumer make an informed decision - wish someone had told me.

Here's another thing to know about owning a Subaru instead of an Audi - many people consider an Audi to be more prestigious than owning a Subaru. You will have declined in Status with these people by being seen in a Subaru. You probably already know the German car status pecking order so I won't belabor the point. You may want to reconsider your purchase. Of course, the mechanical reliability and durability of the Subaru - the simplicity and toughness of Subaru systems - will save you a lot of money, and your over 6' tall friends can now ride with you!:lol:

I changed the stock wheels out from my car and the stupid TPMS warning light is already flashing on my dash. I thought something was wrong at first, now i'd like to know how to disable it as well, totally useless for my needs since i actually CHECK my pressures with a guage.

Ed

It comes on 15-17 minutes after starting the car. It flashes once every four seconds. I've been ignoring it since March 9th when I took my snows off. I'm waiting for mine to burn out. But less than 1" of black electrical tape will cause it to diappear until you mount the old wheels again.

I say take all four of them and put them in your spare tire. Drill some hole and just make sure they all read whatever the number is. No CEL and use whatever stems you want. I am sure there is an easy way around this thing.

You are one creative Mo Fo! I'm not going to do it but I love the idea!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

i actually dont think the system has to be reset by subaru--

i have an 07 and swapped my old 17 inch oz wheels off my wrx to the lgt, the gauge started to flash as soon as i hit 15 miles exact. i put the stock wheels back but i know for a fact it was placed in the incorrect order but the cluster light never came on again. (tpms)

i think the system is a " pita " but if all else fails i guess i'll be pulling out the tpms bulb :icon_mrgr

20lgt06: That is good news. You are the first owner confirming that rotation does NOT need the reset. I'm hopefull I won't need to $$ dealership just to rotate them.

ur a bus: What you said is what SOA told me..but that conflicts with what 20lgt06 said.

Be nice to hear from other owners that have rotated tires so that we can be 100% sure of the TPMS.

Post on another thread pointed out http://www.otctools.com/newcatalog/products/3833_165.pdf#search=%22tire%20pressure%20monitor%20reset%22

which looks to be around $400 on Ebay but thats still an expensive option just for swapping winter/summer wheels.

One69Chev: Thanks for tip to make sure the wheels shop has the reset tool and now I know to remind them to be very careful when working near the valve. If someone can confirm that magnet trick working with our subies that would be the ticket.

VVG: I understand the German Country Club pecking order - but those folks aren't my friends! I'm impressed by the fun/performance/value factor of a car. In fact, the other car I was considering was a "CIVIC" si.

Sister has a 05 OB VDC (which has TMPS), rotated the tires a few weeks ago and I haven't heard anything about the TMPS light coming on. Govebox manual doesn't say anything about needing a re-set but the vacation picts do.

You might try finding where the TMPS receiver(s) are in the car and unpluging them, I seem to recall some issue on cars without TMPS having a CEL when the plug got grounded.

Archived