LegacyGT.com

Kumho ECSTA ASX tires...and the trials I've put them through

subaruowner840

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the best All-Season tire for LGT owners. I did a lot of research on this site and others before buying my Kumho's. I live west of Denver and bought my tires mid December '06 - about a week before out first big blizzard. I have driven these tires through it all - deep snow, heavy wet snow, thick & slick ice, and recently (due to melting and re-freeze) nasty potholes. I'd have to say they hold up great. My only disappointment is that I have not had the chance to drive them on a nice hot day to see how sticky I can get em.

In the snow - they have been great. I'm not saying they are dedicated snow tires - but they make me feel safe. They will corner, accelerate, and stop for you with little fuss. During a decent snow I had some fool in an older Blazer do a "my car is 4WD so I can pretend there is no snow" spin-out right next to me. I was forced to put those Kumho's to the test. Thankfully I Subaru TV commercial style swerved out of the way while some other car hit the Blazer.

Potholes - low profile tires give me a heart attack when I see a big pothole I can't avoid. I just hit it and get ready to pull over and look at my shredded tires and dented rims. But so far, no dents, bruises, or blown out tires.

Overall I would recommend these tires to any LGT owner looking for an all-season. They do well in the snow, ice and slush. They seem to be durable when it comes to taking a beating. Plus they are cheap and have low noise at hwy speed and seem to handle great.

Please keep in mind the following - I have the 5EAT with the electronic (and more advanced?) AWD system. Plus I have lived in Denver all my life and know how to drive in our weather conditions. No tire, car, or traction system can substitute for careful driving. Don't get me wrong, the call of an empty snow covered parking lot will get me doing doughnuts all over the place. And the Kumho's will still let you do that.

Archived