LegacyGT.com

Accessport Requirements/Questions

dabetic

I am thinking about getting a Cobb Accessport and had a few questions.

1. is it dumb to get one without exhaust/additional perf items
  2. are they easy to use
  3. what type of increase in power should i expect
  4. are they dangerous
  5. I drive a lot (300 miles a week for work) will have have any adverse implications to getting the AP?

I currently have a close to stock 07 LGT MT and would like to get a little more nuts out of it without going overboard. Thoughts/suggestions???

1. not dumb, but they perform best with a downpipe minimum

2. very

3. for your car, from as little as 2%hp/8%tq stage1/91oct to 6%hp/22%tq stage2/93 oct - stage2 requires downpipe minimum

4. not at all if used properly

5. potentially voids powertrain warranty depending on the dealership

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

for what i want, is an accessport ($650) the best way to go? 2% for stage 1 (i have an intake on my car now) the price seems pretty steep. Would it be better to find someone to flash my ECU to allow more boost/advance the timing/etc? I was thinking about tracking down an additional ECU and having that one flashed. All said and done, it would be roughly around the same price as an accessport.

Opensource tuning might be a better route for you, you won't need the AP, and you can get a great tune for $150 plus the cost of a tactrix cable.

check out

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8084 or

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103997&highlight=infamous1 or

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116935&highlight=infamous1

How much power are you looking for, and how much are you willing to spend? Once you figure those 2 things out the rest becomes easier!

GL!

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

You can find a used accessport for your car pretty easily for about $500-$550 if you're willing to wait. Opensource also seems to be a pretty good option. If you are not going stage 2, then spending a little on an opensource tune and the rest on brake and suspension upgrades might be a bit more satisfying. Just depends on what you want out of the car. Just one warning. Once you start in with the performance upgrades, you can't stop. :eek:

i am hoping to get enough power so that i can see a jump in boost on my gauge and so that i can have a little extra nuts. nothing too crazy, but something that i can easily smoke some nice cars.
Sounds like you want stage 2 type power to me.I'd buy an AP and get a downpipe and get a flash to stage 2 for a noticeable power increase.

Total Cost new:

Downpipe $400-$600 (diy install for most people)

AP $695 (diy install)

--------------------------------------

= $1100-$1300

Used: will still pay about 75% of new, but these are easy to find parts

Before you need any more power than that, I think you will need/want to spend $$ on suspension upgrades. Personally, upgrading shocks/springs was a higher priority for me than going to stage2, but now that that's done.....

If you eventually want more power than a basic stage2, the upgrades will necessitate a custom tune.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

AP was one of the first things I got for the car. I ended up getting an up pipe and down pipe off the forum for $200. I installed both myself and went stage 2 for under $800 including AP.

I say do it. I have been very happy with mine, although the maps are pretty tame, I just ordered an Infamous tune to load onto my accessport. We'll see how much that wakes up my stage 2 set-up.

If youre concerned with cost, Open source may be the way to go. Its a fair amount of work though if you go through an E-Tune process. First, you got to buy the cable, about 150-160, and then 150 for an infamous e-tune. Then you have to log and log and then log some more. Get your first map and then guess what? Log some more. And then get a revised map and then................log some more. You get 5 or 6 revisions so you can see where this is going. Lots of logging.

AP? Plug it in and go. The OTS tunes are safe and they cannot be adjusted by the enduser. Only a tuner with a contract through Cobb can adjust anything with the AP. But as mentioned above, 600 bucks for new, 450-550 used.

At stage 1, both should smooth out accelleration but not a lot in the way of a massive power increase. AP is very easy to use. Opensource is easy to use in terms of just flashing the ECU and logging. Just seems like a lot of work.

Good luck.

Archived