LegacyGT.com

225/55/17 Snow tires of stock 05 LGT rims?

B2

Fucked up one of my blizzaks last night driving on it with low air. A brand new one is 200 from the local tire shop. Someone locally is selling 4 barely used ones for 300 but they are a different width. Wondering if i could fit a 225/55/17 blizzak on a stock 2005 lgt rim or will it be too tall/too wide.

It should fit. That's the OEM Outback size.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The tire would fit on the rim, but the tire won't work, or work well on the car.

The outback has different gearing to accommodate a larger tire.

a 225/55-17 is over 2 inches taller than the legacy's 215/45-17

that's an 8.6% change in gearing. Speedo says 60? you're actually doing 65.

That'll dramatically slow your acceleration and impact gas mileage.

The tire would fit on the rim, but the tire won't work, or work well on the car.

The outback has different gearing to accommodate a larger tire.

a 225/55-17 is over 2 inches taller than the legacy's 215/45-17

that's an 8.6% change in gearing. Speedo says 60? you're actually doing 65.

That'll dramatically slow your acceleration and impact gas mileage.

But they'll fit on the car, and in the snow the extra inch of clearance won't be a bad thing.

You'll almost definitely notice a decrease in acceleration, though you may not actually see any hugely negative impact on highway fuel economy (relative to a properly sized, but still snow tire).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'd be cautious.. Without the additional ride height of the forester, you may actually bottom out the tires on the fenders. 2" is a pretty big difference.

Either way, i think we can settle on less than optimal solution.

It's only a 1" radial difference, and it will not bottom out on the fenders. My car was about as low as you could go when it was on coilovers, and I never had issues rubbing/bottoming out on the fenders.

The only potential issue is offset. That size fits on a 17x7+48 rim. It might not fit with a +53 or +55.

$300 for a set of near-new snow tires isn't a bad deal, ESPECIALLY if the set he has now is somewhat worn and he'd have to shave the new one.

I'm less concerned about acceleration and gas mileage and more concerned about whether the tires will bottom out in the wheel wells or wear unevenly over the course of driving. Realistically I'm only going to need snows for another two months and then I can swap my summer tire/wheel setup back on. I can get the tires for about $250, figure another 50-75 to get them installed. If i buy a single tire its probably 155 or so mounted but then I have uneven tread and older tires.

I can deal with a little rubbing on harsh turns, but if it's going to be an issue just during normal driving then I want to avoid it.

Archived