LegacyGT.com

harmonic balance

hello guys ( and girls).. i am new here so i am sorry if this is in the wrong placce..:cool:... my son has a 05 legacy gt turbo 2.5.. over the weekend he had to order a new harmonic balance but what i would like to know is ... what tools are needed and how hard of a job is this to replace... thank you for the help.....:confused:

22 or 23mm socket, long 1/2" breaker bar, pipe over the bar. rest the pipe on the ground and bump the starter. that will break troque on the bolt.

Check the DIY timing belt replacement threads. I posted a picture when I did mine. Put a piece of plywood between the radiator just in case.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Subaru's don't have harmonic balancers...
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

. rest the pipe on the ground and bump the starter. that will break troque on the bolt.

1) Make sure you have the bar on the correct side of the car before you bump the starter.

2) Pull the fuel pump fuse, start the car and let it die. Make sure it won't restart before you put the breaker bar in place. THEN, and ONLY THEN, should you bump the starter.

The very last thing in the world that you want, is to accidentally start the car while trying to remove the crank pulley.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm confused reading this thread. If there's no harmonic balancer (I know there isn't, boxer engine and all, right?), then what are the directions Max giving for? :confused: Crank pulley?

Correct on both counts.

Boxer engines that are properly configured do not have vibration modes that can be solved by any kind of balancer. The rubber in the crank pulley is actually to protect the accessories.

yes it is the crank pully i just know it as the harmonic balance pully... but yes it is the the crank pully.. never worked on a subaru before always had a camaro ever since high school... and working on my 2010 camaro ss is alot different than my sons subaru... thanks for all the help nice web site and very helpful people good job admin's

See post 27, picture is there I believe, sorry can't view pictures from work.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replacing-timing-belt-94193.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I get what BAC is saying about the fuel pump for safety, but you BARELY have to bump the starter. Just clarifying that you only have to engage the starter enough to hear it begin to turn and the job is already done. It takes less than a second.

I replaced mine with a lightened crank pulley. I took me longer to get the damn fans and hoses out of the way than replace the pulley itself.

thanks for all the help .... i will be doing this job this afternoon... from what i have read shouldnt take too long to do... and shouldnt be too hard i will let you all know how things go ... thanks again for all the help.. this site rocks.. keep up the great work ...

Correct on both counts.

Boxer engines that are properly configured do not have vibration modes that can be solved by any kind of balancer. The rubber in the crank pulley is actually to protect the accessories.

BAC is 100% correct that this is not a harmonic balancer.

The one thing I would add is that I have heard and read that the purpose is mainly to reduce NVH.

Took my stock one out years ago, but confirmed with an engine builder that it wasn't necessary first.

Also if you don't use the starter method to loosen the bolt, for autos under the tmic there is supposedly a dust cover/hole where you can put in a screw driver to prevent turning. For manuals put the car in 5th gear. Then use a very long breaker bar and put a lot of weight on it.

All the short blocks have a rubber plug by the turbo under the tmic that you can get to the FW teeth.

But its a PITA to get to.

BAC is 100% correct that this is not a harmonic balancer.

The one thing I would add is that I have heard and read that the purpose is mainly to reduce NVH.

Took my stock one out years ago, but confirmed with an engine builder that it wasn't necessary first.

Also if you don't use the starter method to loosen the bolt, for autos under the tmic there is supposedly a dust cover/hole where you can put in a screw driver to prevent turning. For manuals put the car in 5th gear. Then use a very long breaker bar and put a lot of weight on it.

The purpose of the rubber in the pulley is to insulate the accessories from the impulse of the non-uniform rotation of the crank. The crank does not have a constant angular velocity, and v-belts tend not to damp these changes. The rubber in the pulley absorbs this impulse, and provides a relatively constant (or significantly damped) angular velocity to the alternator, PS pump, and A/C. This extends their life, and improves their efficiency.

The purpose of the rubber in the pulley is to insulate the accessories from the impulse of the non-uniform rotation of the crank. The crank does not have a constant angular velocity, and v-belts tend not to damp these changes. The rubber in the pulley absorbs this impulse, and provides a relatively constant (or significantly damped) angular velocity to the alternator, PS pump, and A/C. This extends their life, and improves their efficiency.

Hard to argue with that...;)

Win

ok update.... i want to thank all of you for all your help crank pully came off with no troubles and the new one went on just as easy... had the job done and car back up and running in 45 min... this site rocks and you guys are very helpfull... thanks again for all your help ...

Archived