LegacyGT.com

Increasing torque in a 3.0r

Hey there,

I know it is extremely difficult to increase power and it will be extremely expensive. However, I am just gathering information and doing some research.

I have been reading a lot from various sources. So far I have concluded that dropping in a KN filter will somewhat help with the performance. Also, an intake arm will help to produce more power. Lastly, will be a lighter pulley but there seems to be some contradictions going around this as it might affect the reliability plus the gains aren't exactly "real".

I am trying to balance between power and reliability. Money wise, I do not really care but that doesn't mean I am going to go for a raptor supercharger.

I am not looking for extra gains. Maybe 10-30lbs of torque and 10-15 horsepower will be enough for me. :)

It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction to purchase a KN filter and intake arm that is meant for 3.0r.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like you got it covered from my internet research. There's really not much, if any, aftermarket support. But you do have an amazingly awesome engine note when coupled with a large muffler can :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnuj58lFQI]‪EFI Logics Track Car‬‏ - YouTube[/ame] (granted, it's slightly modified)

The car above is pure SEX...

No on to the topic of your EZ30R Legacy. There is no KN intake made for this car there is a KN drop in filter which is the same for the LGT and 2.5i models. Some folks have made custom intakes for their Tribeca's and Legacy 3.0Rs which work very well.

As far as performance there are NO cheap options mechanically but you could get a simple tune for your 3.0R which would provide some nice gains. There is a Tribeca that got got tuned (same engine as your Legacy) it produces around 25hp and 40lbs respectively. You should look for Perrin cans

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urEwaXm4V40]‪2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R Perrin Exhaust‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

SEX

Thanks for the reply.

I agree that there isn't a cheap way to draw out more power from the 3.0 engine. However, I really love that engine. I believe it is way too underrated by a lot of people. Just because there's no aftermarket support for these engines, I am not going to give up.

About the muffler cans, it isn't really my style. I am not the "all show, no go" kind of guy. I would rather spend some money tuning the engine.

In theory, I know it is possible to tune the engine. I believe it is called mechanically tuning. While the GT is turbo tuning. However, like many people have mentioned, there isn't a big market for these engines.

I am interested to hear more about the tribeca and who tuned. It will be really helpful. :D

I have heard of people in europe tuning the 3.0 on e85 with decent gains. I haven't had a chance to play with one yet but am kind of interested once the opportunity arises locally. Just something to look into.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I also heard of people in Europe tuning their Spec.B without the E85. They were talking about something about the factory tune seems too lean or something. They manage to unlock some horsepower and torque.

I am not an expert in tuning. So I am not sure if the factory tune in Europe is the same as the one in United States.

Here's a tune on a 2006 tribeca that yielded 15whp / 15 wtq using 93 octane. Scarily the wheel hp and torque were in the 140s.

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv90/stiguy11/TRIBECA.jpg

http://www.sb9t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428

and

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1996741

The amount of power it is putting out seems bad.

However, I think the problem is with the weight of the tribeca. Not trying to be biased here but I don't think my 3.0r is going to be outputting 140s while doing a 6 second sprint to 60miles. :lol:

I did some looking on romraider and it appears a ticket was opened to examine a 3.0R's ROM and see how to tune it. This could be interesting. I am curious what engine management EFI used on their EG30 (3.3L built motor).

I am kinda new to the whole romraider thing. How does it works actually? :redface:

open source Subaru engine management tuning software. Basically some geniuses figured out how to read the ROM on the Subaru ECU and created hex editors to go into the data tables and change the tuning parameters.

Where did you find the open ticket about 3.0R edu? I am interested in reading it.

The amount of power it is putting out seems bad.

However, I think the problem is with the weight of the tribeca. Not trying to be biased here but I don't think my 3.0r is going to be outputting 140s while doing a 6 second sprint to 60miles. :lol:

I don't think weight has any affect on the dyno. Something must have gone wrong in order to lose over 100hp from the engine to the wheels.

Hey guys,

I spoke to a tuner and he said that there will be 7-8% throttle response improvement, gas mileage will probably improve by 1-2 and 17-19 wtq/whp.

I will let you guys know if I ever tuned it!

Hey guys,

I spoke to a tuner and he said that there will be 7-8% throttle response improvement, gas mileage will probably improve by 1-2 and 17-19 wtq/whp.

I will let you guys know if I ever tuned it!

hmm... how much for a tune? i wonder what the dollar/hp is for that

Archived