LegacyGT.com

What are Your Thoughts on Trading my 08 Spec B for a 08 Forester XT

So I am looking for the community's thoughts on my potential decision to swap my 08 Spec B with 135k miles for my brother's 08 Forester XT with 80k miles.

Here is some background of both the cars and my situation:

I bought my 08 Legacy SpecB 4 years ago after selling my 4EAT bugeye WRX wagon. I am the third owner of the car. I bought it "stock" (who knows if they modded and put it back to stock) and kept it that way. It now has 135k miles on it, but my short block did get replaced by a dealership about 25k miles ago after a cylinder wall was found to be scored when I threw a misfire code and failed compression tests. I wish I could say my head aches ended there, but other than that, I have a continuing torque binding OR CV axle issue that I have repeatedly tried to have diagnosed and fixed without any luck from 2 independent mechanics and 1 dealership. But in general my Legacy drives good, with the occasional issue that my mechanic friend helps me fix (BPV hose came off last week, this week my power steering is whining...). Most of my miles are highway miles, but I do drive in the mountains regularly.

The 08 Forester XT has only had one owner, my older brother. He got a truck and now his Forester sits unused mostly. It's a 5MT. It has 80k miles on it, most of those miles are more aggressive mountain miles compared to my highway driving. It is completely stock except for STi springs and a STi hood scoop.

I currently commute about 100 miles on the highway everyday, and will do trips into the mountains most weekends to do things like mountain bike, camp, and snowboard, so the 5 door car is very appealing...

Three things that I like about my Legacy that the Forester does not have is: 6MT, Bilstein front shocks, and the LSrD.

Things I hate about my Legacy compared to the Forester: SI Drive, it's a sedan (I'm ruined from having the bugeye wagon I think).

So I have a decision to make whether I want to sell my car and buy his (and maybe make out with an extra couple thousand) or just keep mine. My mechanic friend said he would absolutely, without a doubt, make the swap....

So with all that said, what would you do? Should the LSrD and other features of my SpecB outweigh the fact that I want a 5 door Subaru that is in a "Sport#" driving feel 24/7? What am I not thinking about that I should be? Any thoughts on the subject is really appreciated! And even though this is a Legacy site, try not to be TOO biased ;)

When I totaled my lowered '08 2.5i earlier this year, it really got me thinking into what I really wanted in a car. I got into XC MTB the last couple years and installed a hitch for my bike rack as I didn't like the idea of a roof rack. I also did some road trips in it fully loaded with 2-3 adults and was scraping here and there which irked me. The stiffer suspension didn't help either (Koni + EE springs). I almost got high-centered a couple times during the blizzard this past winter in NJ (I work in a hospital and need to get to work) so decent ground clearance was a must.

So I started looking at Foresters and Impreza hatchbacks and toyed with the idea of lifting them an inch or so with KING springs as I didn't want to lose ground clearance with stiffer springs. I also ruled out turbos as I don't have the budget for those 'rainy days' like you have/had. So, long story short, I got back into a 2006 Outback 3.0R VDC and haven't looked back.

TL;DR: So you like to camp, MTB, and snowboard? The cargo space alone would tempt me. Plus, rooftop tents! Definitely getting one myself when budget allows.

What I'm saying is, without all those problems, I would think twice. But WITH those problems, and considering your active lifestyle, I would switch in a heartbeat.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Tito - Thanks for your thoughts! We put my lady in a 05 LL Bean Outback 3.0 when her 2003 legacy blew up and we haven't looked back either (aside from a couple suspension components going bad)! Love the clearance and space in it...

My mechanic friend has a 5th gen Outback that is lifted and the thing is bad ass!

Holla - He is just looking to sell his so I would have to commit to buying his then sell mine and give him (some of) the cash.

Appreciate the feedback guys!

Depending on the condition of both cars, id say go for it. The forester has less miles and will probably be more comfortable during your commute

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Never thought the SI Drive could be considered a negative. I don't switch mine to Sport# until after the car is well warmed up-- not as soon as it lets me.

I find myself using Sport most of the time driving around town and Sport# on the highway and faster roads.

Sounds like you'd rather have the versatility of the Forester though, plus with less miles and maybe making a couple thousand $ I think it's a no brainer.

Never thought the SI Drive could be considered a negative. I don't switch mine to Sport# until after the car is well warmed up-- not as soon as it lets me.

I find myself using Sport most of the time driving around town and Sport# on the highway and faster roads.

Sounds like you'd rather have the versatility of the Forester though, plus with less miles and maybe making a couple thousand $ I think it's a no brainer.

And given that "Sport" is just the same throttle mapping as the default in non-SI drive LGTs, you could just never touch it and get the same experience as not having it.

Archived