LegacyGT.com

Competition Clutch Stage 3 review

I will attempt a review of this clutch. I am no mechanic so this review will be simply my thoughts and experiences.

History: My stock clutch lasted up to about 50K miles running a BNR18G turbo for about 30k of it. At that point I needed an engine rebuild :redface: and since they were pulling everything out, I figured I'd save a bit of labor and install a stronger clutch. Now my stock was fine at that point, I just figured I was on limited time with it. I originally headed down the path of a Clutchmasters FX300, but then started to sway to the FX350 after doing a bit of reading reviews from various car forums (EVO, Nissan, NASIOC, this one, etc..) Since I was getting the car worked on by Cobb in Plano Tx, I wanted their opinion as to which of the Clutchmasters they suggest based on what my setup would be like. In my discussion, they highly suggested going with a Competition Clutch instead. I took their suggestion and had a C.C. Stage 2 installed.

CC Stage 2: The break in was "fun". A bit of chatter and shakes as I wandered thru the first 1000K miles learning especially first gear. But after that it felt very much like the stock clutch - pedal pressure and engagement was just fine. Every once in a blue moon would it not connect and I'd shake for a bit. But overall - Great clutch. I really enjoyed it. I did run it hard, did my few necessary smackdowns, and just drove my car like I set it up to be driven :).

At about 45k miles on the Stage 2, I started slipping in the high gears. Figured I had a couple of months to start looking and getting ready to replace it. By the time I got around to dropping it off, it was so bad that I only really had a good grip in 1st gear. To get to 70 mph took quite awhile as I gingerly put pressure on the gears. Many times I'd shift into 5th but the display would still register 4th :eek: I was planning to throw in another CC Stage 2, but wondered if I should go up one more as I hope to have an E85 tune soon. I ordered the CC stage 2 clutch from my drug dealer Infamous Performance, but had to wait as CC was out of stock. During that wait I hunted down info/reviews on their stage 3 - which is VERY LIMITED! After chatting with them a couple times on my situation, they suggested that I just order the Stage 3 pressure plate (Segmented Ceramic) and swap it out with the one in my Stage 2 kit (Brass Plus). Done, a quick call to 'El Mike again and the disc was sent. I also purchased a Transmission Sleeve Kit (TSK3).

Instant review (first 100 miles): Right off - I killed the car four times trying to drive home:redface::redface: Felt like a massive noob. The first thing I noticed was that my clutch pedal was VERY easy to push - I was actually expecting the opposite. I would argue that it is actually easier than the Stage 2! The grab - INSTANT! holy cow. Totally lock on. BUT!!! no chatter what-so-ever! I actually checked to make sure they put in the right disc. I can "feel" a really good connection.

Update so far (as per requested).

Miles put on since: @20k

Clutch is fantastic. Easy engagement still - I still miss the sweetspot every once in a while on the engagement of 1st gear - I just reengage the clutch and redo it - when easy driving or in traffic. I have done my share of WOT and no problems what so ever on the instant grab. I will again state that I am really enjoying this over the original Stage 2.

HOWEVER, I have only put on 20k.... I am hoping to get to the end of the year with it - which at a rate of about 2500 miles/month would give me around 50k on it.

If I don't update this about May (which would be at about 35k on it) Someone bug me.

Very nice! I was also debating on the stage 3 kit, but I don't make alot of power yet. Also being a daily, felt like it was going to be harsh. Went with the stage two! Only 150miles on it and what you describe with your experience is the same for me!

I will attempt a review of this clutch. I am no mechanic so this review will be simply my thoughts and experiences.

History: My stock clutch lasted up to about 50K miles running a BNR18G turbo for about 30k of it. At that point I needed an engine rebuild :redface: and since they were pulling everything out, I figured I'd save a bit of labor and install a stronger clutch. Now my stock was fine at that point, I just figured I was on limited time with it. I originally headed down the path of a Clutchmasters FX300, but then started to sway to the FX350 after doing a bit of reading reviews from various car forums (EVO, Nissan, NASIOC, this one, etc..) Since I was getting the car worked on by Cobb in Plano Tx, I wanted their opinion as to which of the Clutchmasters they suggest based on what my setup would be like. In my discussion, they highly suggested going with a Competition Clutch instead. I took their suggestion and had a C.C. Stage 2 installed.

CC Stage 2: The break in was "fun". A bit of chatter and shakes as I wandered thru the first 1000K miles learning especially first gear. But after that it felt very much like the stock clutch - pedal pressure and engagement was just fine. Every once in a blue moon would it not connect and I'd shake for a bit. But overall - Great clutch. I really enjoyed it. I did run it hard, did my few necessary smackdowns, and just drove my car like I set it up to be driven :).

At about 45k miles on the Stage 2, I started slipping in the high gears. Figured I had a couple of months to start looking and getting ready to replace it. By the time I got around to dropping it off, it was so bad that I only really had a good grip in 1st gear. To get to 70 mph took quite awhile as I gingerly put pressure on the gears. Many times I'd shift into 5th but the display would still register 4th :eek: I was planning to throw in another CC Stage 2, but wondered if I should go up one more as I hope to have an E85 tune soon. I ordered the CC stage 2 clutch from my drug dealer Infamous Performance, but had to wait as CC was out of stock. During that wait I hunted down info/reviews on their stage 3 - which is VERY LIMITED! After chatting with them a couple times on my situation, they suggested that I just order the Stage 3 pressure plate (Segmented Ceramic) and swap it out with the one in my Stage 2 kit (Brass Plus). Done, a quick call to 'El Mike again and the disc was sent. I also purchased a Transmission Sleeve Kit (TSK3).

Instant review (first 100 miles): Right off - I killed the car four times trying to drive home:redface::redface: Felt like a massive noob. The first thing I noticed was that my clutch pedal was VERY easy to push - I was actually expecting the opposite. I would argue that it is actually easier than the Stage 2! The grab - INSTANT! holy cow. Totally lock on. BUT!!! no chatter what-so-ever! I actually checked to make sure they put in the right disc. I can "feel" a really good connection.

I'm glad this set-up is working for you :). CM FX 350 I just destroyed made my life miserable. I'm actually glad its done so I can move on to a much better clutch.

• 7 months later...
Update so far (as per requested).

Miles put on since: @20k

Clutch is fantastic. Easy engagement still - I still miss the sweetspot every once in a while on the engagement of 1st gear - I just reengage the clutch and redo it - when easy driving or in traffic. I have done my share of WOT and no problems what so ever on the instant grab. I will again state that I am really enjoying this over the original Stage 2.

HOWEVER, I have only put on 20k.... I am hoping to get to the end of the year with it - which at a rate of about 2500 miles/month would give me around 50k on it.

If I don't update this about May (which would be at about 35k on it) Someone bug me.

So tell us about those miles? percentage freeway to city? Any true stop and go (stop and go a little, stop and go...)?

So tell us about those miles? percentage freeway to city? Any true stop and go (stop and go a little, stop and go...)?

About 60 percent is country driving/city. Stop signs, stop lights, One lane traffic...etc... We use the LGT anytime the family wants to go somewhere - eat, movies, shopping, or whatnot - hence the amount of mileage. :redface:

Other part is all interstate - and in texas, we drive fast :) I do get caught in miserable Houston traffic every once in a while - and those are the days I wish I had a CVT. Long distance trips - I have driven about 4 times up and back to Cobb in Plano (@600 miles round trip) A drive to Memphis and back, and a trip to Arkansas (8 hours drive to get there) to grab our new pup.

• 1 year later...
still no complaints it sounds like - i'm at the moment heading this direction with a clutch replacement and your review has me feeling good about the recommendation from my shop - the original rec for me was the s2, but it wasn't in stock and s3 was - and so ....

• 1 year later...

Hhhmmm...I’m replacing at about 35k miles - did last a while - I don’t drive hard on it at all - never launch it - just some highway pulls here and there - but I do drive about 90miles daily and some of that is in traffic - not sure what my expectation was - when it was working it held power well - initially I thought there was a lot of chatter but after upgrading all motor mounts everything felt much stronger - it then just in the last week just deteriorated quickly with nothing extraordinary to cause it

Not sure what’s next yet - I’m not sure a clutch every 35k is what I’m after - I think a more stock feel will benefit me given my driving style and power requirements - I am up around 300hp and tq levels - but am not needing a clutch to hold it while launching and racing either -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived