LegacyGT.com

Wheel Bearings

Hi guys -- 1st just a quick thank you, everyone has always been helpful and offered some great advice. So here goes --

I have an 05 Legacy NOT GT with 157K miles...yea I know a lot but I commute, I take good care of my car, always rotating tires, oil changes, etc....BUT i have this HORRIFIC problem keeping wheel bearings. Thank GOD my husband was a mechanic for 25 yrs so the labor is almost free :lol:

but this is my replacements:

I purchased the car new Aug 05

Jan 07 76K left rear OEM from dealer

May 07 105K right rear OEM from dealer

Sep 07 118K 2 front bearings OEM from dealer

Purchased a full set of new tires in Oct 08 and things were quite for a bit, now we have a hum again. Husband says its the right rear, found a Timken online for $95 free shipping. Haven't tried this brand, so I am hoping for better results.

Subaru did start a case for me and there was a refund to me of $367 for 2 of the wheel bearings that I had previously replaced, but I can't keep getting wheel bearings on a regular basis. Seems to me they should be lasting a little longer than this....I was curious if anyone else had something similiar with their Legacy.

thanks, have a great new year

• 2 years later...

Timken is one of if not the best bearings out there.

Though I'm not sure you can buy just the bearing for these cars. I'm sure your going to read the other post here lately about wheel bearings. Lots of threads here in the past week.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hi, is the hum always there when the car is moving, or just when the gas is applied?

Are you asking the person that started this thread 2 YEARS ago?

If it's the wheel bearing it will be there all the time and the pitch will increase as your speed increases. If you only hear the hum when you step on the throttle I'd wager it's a transmission bearing that's dying. Yes, I'm speaking from experience as I've had to replace both.

Cheers!

Archived