LegacyGT.com

Questions about the site

ams

Not sure if this is the right forum or not? Someone please move thread if not.

With the search is there anyway to get it to match multiple words (AND match, not OR match as it seems to do). Othewise, it's damned near worthless :(

Also I gather that the forum does not host images for use in posts, correct? If so, then does anyone have a good suggestion for a place to upload images for posts?

Uh... I think I had more, but I don't recall them now :D

Thanks!

With the search is there anyway to get it to match multiple words (AND match, not OR match as it seems to do).

could u give an example?

Also I gather that the forum does not host images for use in posts, correct? If so, then does anyone have a good suggestion for a place to upload images for posts?

u can upload images (up to 800x600 pixels :rolleyes: ) for your post. u can also try places like http://www.imagevenue.com/ and http://www.imagedump.com/

This Space For Rent

Agreed w/original post author - as the Forum continues to grow in size/population, and increase in number of posts/threads, an "and" search function would be nice, as that would increase the signal-to-noise filter.

I tried running a couple of searches using both "and" and "or" as well as with and without the "+" symbol (including putting spaces between either end of the symbol, and they all returned with the same results, which is to say results where "or" seems to be the logic operator.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Basically, what it means is that you can't complain about people posting without searching the forums first -- since the search basically doesn't work for most topics. Sure, you could search "AccessPORT" and get something reasonable back, but you can't search something like "engine oil filter" because all the individual terms are too damned common.

I can't seem to figure out how to upload images :rolleyes:, just link to them. Advice?

Scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" and click it.

^^^^^^

Use the "Go Advanced" option that's immediately to the right of the "Post Quick Reply" radio buttion.

Scroll down to "Additional Options" - the second set is "Manage Attachments" - clicking on that radio button should bring up a pop-up screen that allows you to browse for an upload images.

:)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 10 months later...
With the search is there anyway to get it to match multiple words (AND match, not OR match as it seems to do). Othewise, it's damned near worthless :(

Haven't seen any response on this except "be more creative" with the words being used... is there any way to tell the search engine to ensure that all of the noted words are in the thread (or title)? I agree with ams; some of the things I'm looking for have very common words in the phrase, but are unique as a group.

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

Searching LGT, when looking for a specific group of words sucks. I want to look up posts on "boost gauge". The search will return all pages containing boost, ad all apges containing gauge. The pages containing the string "boost gauge" will be returned, but will not be given preference due to their proximity to each other.

What I've taken to doing is to use the search here when I'm looking for something in general, and using google with the "site" flag set for exact matches.

For instance, you want to look up any instance of "Big Pant Hustler", go to google and enter the following phrase:

site:legacygt.com "Big Pant Hustler"

That will match the exact phrase, but only on legacygt.com.

--james

Pretty sure its 1024 x 768 for file size. I can up it if people think we need.

Searching: Searching could be improved in some case by moving to MySQL's Fulltext search option. However we tried this in the past and it received a number of complaints. Its a better search engine, but its limitation is it can only search on 4 letter words or greater.

The VB Search engine can search 3 letter terms, but its limitation is lack of AND OR functions.

What I've taken to doing is to use the search here when I'm looking for something in general, and using google with the "site" flag set for exact matches.

For instance, you want to look up any instance of "Big Pant Hustler", go to google and enter the following phrase:

--james

That's pretty dang cool!! Thanks for the tip! :icon_mrgr

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

So maybe we should have the google search bar on top as well? Not to mention it will generate some revenue for the site?

Google always seems to find what one is looking for.

X

---

click this

http://legacygt.com/forums/images/editor/insertimage.gif

copy and paste URL (

and you get this..

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachments/site-suggestions-questions/8601-questions-about-site-131.gif

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

This did not work for me...it should have found THIS thread, right?

It is still ugly.

Just be more creative with your search terms.

Like using the very very common LGT phrases 'AP', 'UP', or 'DP'...?? Oh wait, none of those work because they're too short. Doh!! I'd like the search to allow those three terms, myself. :)

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Well, no Scooter. The problem then is "AP" is probably in 50,000 posts alone. It makes searching moot. I actually have to filter popular terms out to not have VB search timeout.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived