LegacyGT.com

Cracked dash on '05 LGT?!?! WTF?!?

Kingfisher

So the wife and I were just cruising home from an appointment across town when she spots two hairline cracks in the dash. They're on the passenger side, on the bend/curve running vertically right up the center of the bend just up and left of the glove box. Has anyone else encountered this? I'd like to have the dash rattle fixed anyway. Am I just going to have to source another dash and then have it all done at the same time?

The car has been armoralled in it's life but not often. Who knows, maybe that's the problem. It's garaged more than it's outside I'd say, but the windows aren't tinted so it does get hotter'n'hell inside.

Yes, I know there's no pics but how hard is it to visualize two hairline cracks in the dash? lol I'll see if I can get a few. Even if I can, with the black dash and the fact that their so small, I might not have the resolution to get them to show up.

Sounds like maybe it's the panel over the pass side airbag..? I believe there's an outline there where the plastic is very thin so that the panel can break away when the airbag deploys. If the lines are straight it's probably those thin areas that have cracked through.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I don't have a camera or the car at the moment since I'm at work, so I unscrupulously stole a photo and paintbrushed it to show the location. Here it is. The cracks are there. Running top to bottom, and I mean they're tiny hairline cracks but they're there.

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz198/thenry25/Misc/Subdash.jpg

Have a hairline crack in my dash as well, though not in the same place. Mine's in between passenger side vent and windshield.

Only used 303 aerospace on dash (never use armor all), and car is always garaged. I was mad when I first found it, but have ignored it since.

Understood. I'm trying to run down another dash presently, as that's not something I want to have to live with long term. Looks like they run $300-$400 non-dealer. Sucks, but it's a number I can live with. Plus I need to get the stupid dash rattle fixed anyway.

From what I've heard, armor-all is no longer the stuff of the devil. Apparently the formulation that cracked dashboards, is no longer in production.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I thought that was the case as well. Fortunately the dash that I found appears to be in perfect shape and wont completely ruin my bank account however I don't know the first thing about taking the original out. May talk to the service guy at the dealership today and see what kind of deal they can work me. Ugh.

Get a bunch of Dynamat and do the firewall while the dash is out!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived