LegacyGT.com

Wrong Expectations or Bad Example of a Spec.B?

docsmitty

Note: I am looking for honest feedback about my experience, not bashing of one car or another. Please don't post anything insulting.

I'm currently searching for a LGT Manual / Spec.B to trade in my 08 WRX for. However, I test drove my first Spec.B today and I didn't fall in love with it like I hoped to. I own an 08 WRX, and my gf owns an 09 Legacy 2.5i. I was test driving a 2008 Spec.B with 3500 miles.

The best way I can describe it is to say that the car didn't feel as... honest... as my wrx. Not the handling or the suspension.. I like the feel of the Legacy suspension more than my wrx. Rather I think it was the computer getting in between me and the car. I had a hard time knowing how the car was going to react to throttle inputs, and the clutch didn't give me nearly as much feedback as I'm used to. Overall, I was disappointed. I wanted a more luxurious version of my WRX, and instead I felt like I was driving a mediocre sports sedan. (and yes I the car was in sport#)

So... was this just a bad example of a Spec.B? The car was listed as a Subaru exec model. Are these typically abused? The exterior of the car seemed to be in pristine condition, but the interior looked a little abused. Spots on the leather that hadn't been cleaned, scratches on the finish... when my 08 had 3500 miles on it, it still smelled new. Hell, I still get people asking about the new car smell at 10k miles.

Or, are my expectations off? I really want the WRX powertrain plus a refined, quieter interior. Do I need to be looking at an 06, before the introduction of SI drive? Would a non-Spec.B LGT be more what I'm looking for? Please give me your feedback!

Thanks!

Im not really sure what you mean by clutch feedback?

and what was so mediocre about the sports sedan?

What about the spec b drive by wire is the problem? I know when i first got my 05 it was a difficult transition from my MR2.

I know from my time in a WRX/STI that they "feel" a lot more sporty than my car, whether its due to the cabin feeling smaller, or increased road noise..

But when we go out driving i have nearly the same capabilities.. so it cant really be that bad.

Did you put the car into Sport #? If not the map will reduce throttle response and you won't get the same performance feeling.

Also, the car weighs more so it won't be as agile (not that the WRX is a auto-x king).

The car was probably not taken care of like a car you own. An exec car is a company car, that is treated basically like a rental. So don't expect the same quality, that is why it is cheaper.

06 Spec.B is a 5MT just so you know.

Interesting take. I am currently looking at the 09 Spec.B models, and will be testing driving one this week, it too is an executive car. I have been watching the Spec.Bs since 06, just absolutely love the subtle styling, great interior, and the 4-wheel drive reliability of a Subaru. I hope my impressions are a little better than yours coming away from the 1st drive. I had a stage II 07 WRX, but I will not be expecting that level of power and torque. I let everyone know how my experience goes.

I appreciate the feedback. Right now I'm hoping that it was just an abused example of a Spec.B, and if I can find another LGT or Spec.B, I'll give it another shot.

After comparing it to my gf's legacy, I noticed a few more things that make me suspect it was harshly abused (or possibly in an accident, not reported). The interior door handles (not the lever that opens the door) were loose and squeaked, the shift knob was missing (the salesman told me they remove it so kids don't steal it... when I asked him to get it for the test drive, he said "we'll have to order a new one"), there was a scratch on the air bag cover on the steering wheel, and there was a LOT more wind noise from the windows. Her car has 9xxx miles, the one I drove only had 3500. I really just hope it's a single bad car.. I really want to love an LGT and trade in.

what was your impression of the different modes?

The few times I've driven an LGT, I've disliked SI-drive. It was surprising how slow I mode felt. Putting the car into Sport Sharp really improved response. At constant throttle, the car instantly accelerated harder. I do understand that the "slower" modes pretty much just reduce throttle. I think I would probably end up leaving the car in Sport Sharp all the time. However, my wallet might argue in favor of I mode during my daily commute if it's substantially better mileage. Does the 6 speed improve highway mileage as well?

In fact, two of the reasons I'd consider an 06 Spec.B are the 5 speed and lack of SI-Drive, but how do you current owners feel about them? Does the 6 speed help your highway mileage? How about SI-Drive? Are the slower modes better mileage? Does it annoy you? How often do you use it to change modes?

based on what i have seen and experienced yes the 6 speed does increase mileage. there is almost no way it wouldn't increase mileage especially on the highway. having driven my spec b for awhile i see a time and place for each mode. but i never test drove my car i knew what i wanted and made my purchase. i thought i would never take mine out of sport sharp but sometimes it feels better in I to make my friends happy or cruise around town and sometimes i want the smoothness of Sport because its more linear like a rx7. I have more to say i just am not that good with words so i try to be brief.

It sounds like the example you drove was beat on, but I wouldn't expect it to be considerably down on performance than any other stock lgt/spec b. It felt decent to me during the test drive, but I quickly became fairly disappointed with the power output. Only other complaints deal with interior quality and poor brake response when slowing down from excessive speed.

My spec b was a demo also but it didnt feel that bad coming from a stock 07 wrx. Actually to me it felt better, power and handling. I didnt even know bout the si drive till after i took it out for a spin.

Only a few things were "bad"

cabin filter not changed

intake filter not changed

I was actually missing the rsb

and some weired green marks in back seat.

^ Yeah and he drove the car for a year before he realized the RSB had been RIPPED from its mount! The damn car never had a RSB the day he bought it. So take his advice with a grain of salt. :lol::lol::lol:

I had an 05 LGT 5EAT, currently have an 08 LGT 5EAT and an 08 Spec B. The 6 speed gets 4+ mpg better than the 5EAT under all conditions. I would imagine it does slightly better than the 5 M/T as well. With a 50/50 mix of freeway and city driving my 5EAT gets approx 21mpg. The SpecB gets 25mpg. Even better when its all freeway driving.

Well I went for a test drive tonight, I can say I came away very impressed, yet not suprised. The car lived up to all the expectations i had going into the test drive. I am looking at an 09, Black, w/ 7500 miles on it and they are asking $29,640 for it. Is this a fair deal or should I really be looking at a lower price? This was one of the executive demos. Thanks for any replies.

Kevin

I think if you could find a new one for close to that price. I paid 32 for my 08, and 09s weren't out when I purchased. With 2010s being out, I would think you could get a better deal. That said, they're not that easy to find new, so if you really want one and it's in great shape, go for it.

I would think you can talk them down a little. I got my 08 in April of this year for $28,995 and it had 82 miles on it. I know mine is an 08 and the one you are looking at is an 09 but with 7500 miles on it I would say you should be able to get it much cheaper. Remember the dealers are hurting and they will want to sell you the car. Talk them down and they will go down.

When I went to look at mine they started at $34,995 and I talked them down to $28,995.

The car should sell for $27-28 with less than 200 miles on it. If its got 7500 miles already they are nuts. I know of an '09 DGM SpecB with STi short throw, 200 miles on it, at a local dealer, internet price is $28450. You could talk them down a little and cover the shipping cost.

Yea that's the one. I am going to sit down with them tomorrow. I have also been looking at the ones in UT and MA, also exec demos. If I can get them down a little more and my trade in goes well I think I will go for it. Although the one in UT is priced much better with the same options and about 500 less miles.

For sure. Good luck on your end as well. I let you know how tomorrow goes. It's good to know what they quoted you for the car shipped. They are still much higher than the other two dealerships and I didn't have good luck with sommers when I bought my wrx, they just wouldn't budge on the price. Got my fingers crossed. :)

Docsmitty,

Please locate another Spec-B. That said, you should also consider driving/riding in someones Spec-B that is lightly modded so you understand where you can get the car to.

When I first test drove my car I liked everything about it. It was very quiet, 6spd is fantastic, interior looks/feel awesome for a low 30k car. The suspension floated too much and way too much body roll. Other than that I still hate the seats. I really need side bolsters that aren't two miles apart from one another. This is coming from a 2002 WRX.

The car is also heavier and not as tossable. Even after suspension modding it will never be as tossable as my WRX but just as capable over all.

Now that suspension is done, tires/wheels, brakes, and Stg2 tuned it's a completely different animal... Completely!

Now it's all the WRX was but, more luxurious, much quieter, better looking, and faster.

Now if I can get the seats altered then I can keep this for a very long time.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Archived