LegacyGT.com

Price point for quality wheels

jacob

I have to replace my stock 17 inch 2.5 Legacy Limited wheels/tires because they were stolen from my garage. I'm currently running 16 inch with snow tires. I've been looking around and wondering how the price/quality relationship holds for aftermarket wheels. There are a lot of options on Tire Rack or Discount Tire for rims and I'm just not sure at what price point the quality would be equivalent to the OEM rims. Lots of brands, too--Konig, Drag, Momo, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions as to the price range I should pay for quality, vs. just for show? I'm not looking for anything flashy; I just would like something roughly equivalent to the wheels that were stolen.

Thanks.

price doesn't necessarily translate to quality

big brand websites doesn't necessarily mean good quality as well

Stick to bigger/major brands like Enkei in their Racing and Tuning series (not the other stuff)

Be prepared to spend at least $1000 on wheels only

and who the hell steals OEM wheels...damn those low life bastards

Enkeis are going for $104 for 17x7.5, available as: Enkei Performance Sesto

Finish: Bright Sil w/Mach Lip OR Gunmetal w/Mach Lip.

If they were super light, then the gravity cast construction would be concerning, but they weigh 22 lbs, so are basically the same as stock rim weight so I would assume would be strong enough and Enkei is a well known and respected brand.

Less than $500 for a brand new set of rims is excellent IMHO...

OEM wheels are made to a MUCH higher standard than aftermarket, even though they are all made by Enkei...

My company started supplying wheels for Toyota, and it's annoying...

as for the weight, given the same size and similar spoke design, OEM will always be lighter due to not having to account of different offset and bolt pattern

Thanks for the tips. I had thought about finding OEM replacements but the cheapest is $170 and they're reconditioned. I was wondering if I could find something better for that price.

Should I really avoid used rims?

I do, but unfortunately renter's insurance specifically excludes "auto parts". And since they weren't attached to my car at the time of theft, car insurance won't cover them either.

Do you have homeowners or rental insurance and is your deductible low enough to offset the replacement cost? Given the price the dealers typically charge for the stock rims it might be worth looking into.

Archived