LegacyGT.com

Please any help! Tranny/clutch issue and being ripped by mechanic!!! :(

So i recently went on a trip.. drove almost 4000 miles and towards the end started hearing a metallic rattle that shook the shift knob slightly and was only heard when in neutral at higher speeds and and when starting out acceleration in 4th and 5th and when slightly applying the gas to maintain highway speeds(making kind of a high pitched whine while barely holding pedal). I assumed read and heard from buddies that it was a bearing or tranny input bearing. The car shifts fine.. the clutch feels fine.. Perfect power and no slipping or grinding of gears. I take it to a new local subaru shop from my usual shop as he doesnt like to do tranny stuff. So they call and say your clutch is going give me a price.. that is the problem.. i say ok awesome go for it. They call me the next day and say your car is done but its not the clutch its a tranny bearing..... so i talk and say ill come by tomorrow to talk and pay up.

So am i responsible to pay for this? even though i told them i was pretty sure it was a tranny bearing.... yet they do the clutch and then say oops its the tranny.?>!?!>!>!?!? please help lol

i took their word that it was the clutch and they took a shot in the dark and saw that my clutch was worn pretty well from spirited driving and assumed most likely that it was the problem... they did not say it maybe is the clutch we will replace it and see or should they have fully inspected the clutch and cracked the tranny? before geting a conclusion!?

• Moderators

If you told the shop what to do and they did it, you should pay for it. If they told you what to do and now are saying that they were wrong but did the work anyway, you should not pay for it.

Don't know if that makes sense here--your story is a bit tough to follow...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

i told them what the problem was and what i was almost sure what was causing the problem. they contradicted my idea and told me it was the clutch hands down, i agreed to the clutch. The next day i get a call saying so yaaaaa it was not the clutch its a tranny bearing... but you owe for the clutch even though the initial problem i went there for was not fixed and they pushed another deal/price on me for the tranny

First off what's the mileage on the car ? your going to need a someday anyways.

What clutch did they put in ?

Does the new price leave out the labor to R&R the tranny ?

I would think you should not pay for that labor, because if they would have fixed the tranny the first time, you should only pay for that labor one time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

60k miles.. I'm going in to see if he will do as you said price for clutch job and then like 200 or whatever for an input bearing or whatever it is... If he doesn't want to work with me then f him... I'm getting a free clutch

talked to mechanic... saw my clutch was ravaged and a bearing making noise but was not problem... Said that will be full price and that he will crack my tranny and find and replace the actual bearing within tranny for 600...discounting a lot of labor... seems legit.. as long as he doesnt call and say well i took apart and put back together your tranny and thats not it its this.... sooo stressfulllll

Archived