LegacyGT.com

LGT Wagon Suspension swapped into Outback XT

Duffman

so ive been playing around with this and installed spec.b take-offs on my OB. the rear ended up sitting perfect, but for some reason the front was way way too low. was rubbing on some turns(tire to fender). So just as a trial, i threw the OB springs on the spec b shocks and now the the front is too high, almost at stock Outback ride height. :lol: Im thinking maybe regular LGT springs will split the difference, but there is only one way to find out.

here is what it looked like with the spec b springs in front

20130902_134803.thumb.jpg.7f101ee3c0cf2ce8b618da9e83d925a8.jpg

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admittedly, the springs I saw we're used, and might not have been as advertised, but the front spec B springs were much longer than LGT (at least as long as OB XT) and thinner gauge. I never mounted them, but had the impression they would result in higher ride height than LGT mounted on the same strut. But maybe they would sag more given the thinner gauge. This was always baffling to me given spec B allegedly being higher perf. Maybe softer spring mates better with Bilstein, IDK.

spec b springs def are thinner gauge compared to lgt springs. didnt really compare the height, but the spec b springs def compressed more than lgt springs. so it could be that and not the uncompressed height as you said. either way, they did the trick.

Admittedly, the springs I saw we're used, and might not have been as advertised, but the front spec B springs were much longer than LGT (at least as long as OB XT) and thinner gauge. I never mounted them, but had the impression they would result in higher ride height than LGT mounted on the same strut. But maybe they would sag more given the thinner gauge. This was always baffling to me given spec B allegedly being higher perf. Maybe softer spring mates better with Bilstein, IDK.

Stiffer doesn't always mean better performance.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I purchased used legacy gt sedan shocks and strut assembly. Does anyone have pictures with and without saggy butt spacers? I'm curious how much difference they are compared to the lgt wagon for the rears. I believe the front ones sedan/wagon are the same.

• 3 months later...
Yes, you can re-use the XT's upper spring perch and upper mount.

How low are you trying to go?

H&R springs offer a 1.5-2.0 inch drop. So, along with the struts, probably 3-4 inches total?

I'm basically trying to have the ride-height of a lowered legacy, not a lowered outback. Does that makes sense?

Edited by MichaelBrown86

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Reviving dead thread! I've got kyb legacy front and read struts ordered from rockauto. I plan on just cutting down my bump stops instead of replacing them. Any problems with this? Also can someone tell me if I can carry over my stock strut boot cover from my obxt when I do the swap or will I need to order legacy specific ones?

• 1 month later...
Reviving dead thread! I've got kyb legacy front and read struts ordered from rockauto. I plan on just cutting down my bump stops instead of replacing them. Any problems with this? Also can someone tell me if I can carry over my stock strut boot cover from my obxt when I do the swap or will I need to order legacy specific ones?

Did you ever install everything? I actually had the questions run through my head as I was looking into the KYB Legacy GT struts and wasn't sure about the strut covers.

I did do the install. You can cut down the bump stops just fine. I cut the stops in half on the front strut and the bump stops in the rear in half as well. The stock boot works great. Only thing I'm not happy about is the 3/8" spacer I went with. Still a little bit of sag in the rear. Going to change out for 1/2" or maybe even 3/4" for a bit of rake.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the sedan suspension swapped into my obxt for a couple months now but yesterday I just got around to measuring the distance between my tire and wheel well. I was surprised to find a 1" difference between the front and the back. The back sagging that much even with a 3/8" spacer. Do you guys think this could be from installing the springs improperly? I've noticed an annoying clunk noise on the rear whenever I hit bumps or potholes. To me it almost sounds and feels like I'm hitting the bump stops but upon inspection ot looks like I've got plenty of clearance. (cut my stock stops in half). Anyone else experience anything like this?

Hardware:

New Kyb struts

100,00 mile used LGT sedan Springs

3/8" saggy butt spacers

I've had the sedan suspension swapped into my obxt for a couple months now but yesterday I just got around to measuring the distance between my tire and wheel well. I was surprised to find a 1" difference between the front and the back. The back sagging that much even with a 3/8" spacer. Do you guys think this could be from installing the springs improperly? I've noticed an annoying clunk noise on the rear whenever I hit bumps or potholes. To me it almost sounds and feels like I'm hitting the bump stops but upon inspection ot looks like I've got plenty of clearance. (cut my stock stops in half). Anyone else experience anything like this?

Hardware:

New Kyb struts

100,00 mile used LGT sedan Springs

3/8" saggy butt spacers

Did you replace all the rubber bits? Spring seats and spring perches? I think usually for wagons peope are running 1/2 - 3/4 inch spacers to even it all out.