LegacyGT.com

Quiet Intake and Exhaust Setup

bowzer

Okay, what would be everyone's recommendation to get the most performance out of exhaust and intake mods w/out the nuisance of exhaust noise.

My last car had a straight thru exhaust from the header back to the magnaflow exhaust, great power but it's a daily driver and drove me insane.

Any recommendations as to how much of this car's exhaust I can modify w/out the noise?

thanks

Best suggestion is to keep it stock. The factory already maximized the performance of the intake and exhaust while keeping the noise to the absolute minimum. About the only thing you can do without increasing noise is to get an Accessport.

That's what i've been seeing as i've read over numerous posts. I guess I can be happy with the performance and have no noise besides stock. My only real goal is to go w/stage 1 accessport and a nice solid suspension.

^^^At this point, which is the beginning. I will take any recommendation and do some research on whether it will meet my needs.

Where you live in nova? I'm also trying to go the quieter route, staying with stock cans is probably the best answer.

Get a qtec exhaust cutout. all the benefits of an open straight through exhaust, but you can shut it off when you want.

How does the exhaust cutout work?

done lots of research myself and aside from staying stock a fujitsubo catback is the quietest i have found and the quality is almost unmatched. very pricey though.

How 'bout the Prodrive mufflers. Aren't they kinda quiet too?

I would say that intake-wise, simply switch to an aftermarket panel filter without any additional modifications. Our stock intake tract has been shown to flow decently well, and typically, although around 10 to 15 wHP may be milked-out of an aftermarket full-intake setup through a custom-to-vehicle tune, such changes are typically made either for audible purposes or only come about when paired to a larger turbo/*significantly* more-power modifications have already been achieved.

As for the exhaust, it's a matter of great debate as to whether the stock mid-section, resonator, "Y," or muffler canisters offer the greatest restriction to flow. Depending on whose data you view and who you ask, it truly could be any of the areas.

But in terms of noise, it does seem that a great chunk of that is hushed by, of course, the muffler canisters themselves. Thus, pairing your stock mufflers with aftermarket piping upstream certainly seems to be a viable choice. In terms of aftermarket canisters, typically, the Prodrive units, as well as those from AVO and Blitz's Nur-Spec Touring model, are regarded as the quieter units.

However, depending on how you pair these canisters up with variously configured piping, they could again become quite loud and/or may drone.

To keep noise levels down, you may want to either pair these canisters with otherwise stock piping, or at least pair them with a resonated mid-section.

In so far as full cat-back or turbo-back systems are concerned, the now-defunct SPT cat-back seems to hold-down noise levels quite well. Unfortunately, these are, at least temporarily, out-of-production, and older units that may be floating around should be checked carefully for any production defects prior to secondary-market purchase. Borla's cat-back is yet another unit which offers excellent control over noise and drone - and as a side benefit carries excellent warranty and is also very reasonably priced from many of our trusted Vendors. If pricing is less of a concern, the two Fujitsubo cat-backs also offer a more mellow tone.

----

VTGT - The cut-out is typically welded-in prior to your last cat (if you're running the third cat), and thus allows "unrestricted" exhaust-flow post-turbo when switched (either electronically or manually), thus maximizing performance gains. During normal driving, it will allow normal passage of exhaust gasses downstream to the rest of the piping, including any cats and mufflers.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Cobb's exhaust. (Just the cans for now) are due out in a couple weeks. Their not supposed to be that loud. I am debating matching these cans with my existing perrrin y-pipe.

I think avo type 2 mufflers are "supposed" to be quieter than the originals. Curious if anyone has confirmed that.

Since we have an Jap car we have to sort though the ricer mods. We have coilovers in candy coated flavors, but half of them are terrible.

Half of the exhaust are way too loud as well.

I wish I could get the milltek equivalent for the legacy that I had on my S4.

I am curious if their will be intakes that go inside a box(or bigger box) to keep sound low. I just don't see them yet.

e.g.

AWE Tuning - Products

or

ARC Cold Air Box

or

Comptech Icebox Cold Air Intake (TSX) <font color="#FF0000">Free Shipping!!!</font>

or

MotoringFile » Archive » MotoringFile Review: The JCW Cold Air Intake

I will (hopefully) be installing a hybrid CBE consisting of Lachute Y-pipe/resonator and Prodrive mufflers tomorrow. I'll try and post before and after clips.

I will (hopefully) be installing a hybrid CBE consisting of Lachute Y-pipe/resonator and Prodrive mufflers tomorrow. I'll try and post before and after clips.

Subscribe. I'd like to hear how that turns out as well..

Cobb's exhaust really about to come out?

I'm also looking for a performance exhaust with a nice rumble but nothing overly noticeable. Mainly cause my leggy is my only car and I want to keep it quite for road trips and avoid a ricer appearance. I'm just not a showy person who wants some loud exhaust which screams "RACE ME!"

Subscribe. I'd like to hear how that turns out as well..

Check the thread he started.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived