LegacyGT.com

Former legacy owner with a few questions on a 1998 Legacy GT

Mobius1

Hi guys, as you may be able to tell from my profile I owned a 2.2 1997 legacy a few years ago. Ended up selling it before I was deployed to Afghanistan a couple years ago. I'm gonna be taking a look at a 1998 legacy GT. It has 225,000 miles on it and my main worry is the head gaskets. Anything else I should look for? Its going to be my winter / commuter car because my 2010 Honda civic si puts down 300 HP and I want to keep the miles off it and not drive it in snow if I can help it.

Heres the ad for the legacy:

For Sale is a 1998 Legacy GT Sedan. It has the 2.5l Engine. Automatic Transmission. 225K miles on the car. Leather seats, power everything (except seats) Moonroof, All wheel Drive. Has the usual Air, Cruise, tilt, etc. This car also has an Astrostart. I installed a Bluetooth Stereo so I could hook my phone to it for hands free and to listen to music while driving. The original stereo was fine and I still have it if you want it instead of the newer stereo.

In the last year, I have replaced Spark Plugs, all brake pads, Rear brake calipers, Rear struts, Front driver's wheel bearing, and blower fan for heater/AC. Oil was changed at the usual interval of 3000 miles. This was my work car and I drove it to work (30 miles one way) most weekdays from September to May. Last winter was brutal for driving, but this car got me safely to work and back and the AWD kept me safely on the road.

Of course, at this price, there are things that need attention. Here are the cons:

Will need Tires Soon. Front ones are worn, rear ones are very worn.

There is an exhaust leak. The car isn't super loud, but louder than it should be.

There is a Check Engine Light. The code is a Knock Sensor which is a real easy fix. The light was on when I bought the car. It doesn't seem to effect mileage so I haven't gotten around to replacing it. (Gas Mileage is about 26 MPG right now)

There is rust coming in, around the wheel wells, and the trunk. Also, the paint isn't real good on the front and rear bumpers, I think they have been painted at some time.

And Finally, the ABS light likes to come on once in a while. I think it's sensor related as the ABS likes to operate even when I don't need it. I ended up taking the fuse out most of the time and going without ABS. The brakes work great otherwise.

I am selling because I got a newer car. I am asking 800 but I am listening to reasonable offers. This car would be a great first car, and especially for someone who wants to mess with modding, etc. Also, it would be a great second "winter beater" car for someone who has a really nice primary vehicle and wants to save wear and tear on it.

Thanks for any help offered guys!!

Archived