LegacyGT.com

05 lgt rattle noise..help!!

Did you check all your bolts on the exhaust and did you use new gaskets on your install? Check downpipe, uppipe, header, also check the heat shields on the header itself. Do you still have the cat in the uppipe?

Get that cat out of there asap. Total armchair quarterback theory that is probably completely wrong but still hypothetical (Ditch the cat for a $45 sti uppipe which can be found in the NASIOC classifieds or ebay and do the 2.2kohm resistor mod in the EGT port(Search)).

Up pipe cat is rattling around loose in the up pipe. Which could potentially fry your new turbo.

What was wrong with the original turbo? Did it have turbine wheel damage? Turbine disc damage could be an indication of damage from the cat breaking up. I have an invidia catless uppipe and I highly recommend it - fit was perfect and install was smooth. Don't get a cheap uppipe. It's not "just a pipe" when it comes to fitment. STi OEM is a good option as well.

compsurge i heard the indivia fitment was a touch off...did u install it yourself?? i was looking at that one along with hks and grimspeed...worried the grimspeed flex will deteriorate tho...not sure

Search EGT resistor to delete the cel for the egt probe. I have been running an invidia uppipe problem free for the last year. Installed myself, fairly straight forward installation.

compsurge i heard the indivia fitment was a touch off...did u install it yourself?? i was looking at that one along with hks and grimspeed...worried the grimspeed flex will deteriorate tho...not sure

I haven't heard of any invidia fitment issues. I installed it myself. The STi pipe should be spot on.

The turbo theory's are people jumping the gun IMHO. This is board is turbo replacement happy. I hear it cures the common cold too.

Sounds like a loose exhaust component. If you spend <$20 on Mechanic's Stethoscope you can listen to the turbo to id if that is the area.

The turbo theory's are people jumping the gun IMHO. This is board is turbo replacement happy. I hear it cures the common cold too.

Sounds like a loose exhaust component. If you spend <$20 on Mechanic's Stethoscope you can listen to the turbo to id if that is the area.

$20...lol I think I might have spent $1.99 at harbor freight for one that works great. It might not have been that expensive though.

• 1 month later...
My car made the exact same sound the night before my turbo blew a seal on the hot side.

As the rpms/load drops off the shaft would float and the blades on the hot side were tapping on the housing. Or at least that's how the tech at subaru explained it to me.

Turbo seal has nothing to do with any kind of shaft float or play. If your impeller was hitting the exhaust housing then either-1. your bushings are worn so much that there is excessive side play, 2. one of the bushings has frozen onto the shaft and it has worn the actual cast iron center housing causing excessive side play, 3. the shaft has worn inside of the bushing and has excessive side play, or 4. your thrust washer or thrust plates are excessively worn allowing the shaft to move forward and back too far which can snap the exhaust side seal out of it's groove.

The "journal bearings" (read bronze bushings) are extremely small in a VF40 (hell, they're small in ALL of the IHI journal bearing turbos) and can be subject to an oil starvation situation due to how they float inside of the housing and also the shaft floats inside of the bushings, which can cause the above excessive shaft play scenarios.

The seals are actually very similar to a piston ring and they snap into grooves on the exhaust impeller shaft for the exhaust side and into a small cone that fits onto the shaft for the compressor side. These rings then snap into the back of the turbo center housing into another groove for the exhaust impeller end. On the compressor side the small cone snaps into the compressor plate for your front seal. If the seal goes bad, it really does nothing mechanical except begin to leak oil past the piston ring which on the exhaust side, can be due to excessive carbon buildup in the groove in the center housing which prevents it from rotating as it's supposed to. The other thing that can cause the seals to fail on either or both ends is the thrust washer or plates being excessively worn allowing the shaft to move back and forth on the bushings. The exhaust seal relies on the shaft not moving as it's a fixed position seal. The compressor seal can move slightly due to the cone not being attached to the shaft but rather allowed to float as necessary.

The seals cannot fall out, nor do they give enough support to keep the shaft in place-the bushings and thrust washers and plates are responsible for that. When it does go bad, it's a direct line for oil to go into the exhaust which results in a lot of smoking, usually whitish smoke. If the front seal fails, then you have oil in your IC and intake tract, usually resulting in more blue smoke, especially when you are on high boost.

Either way, your turbo is failing and can cause other issues and needs to be changed.

Yea it wasnt the turbo...it was the uppipe...the cat internals were moving around....Nothing broken off...turbo is in perfect condition...I put a dc sport uppipe in....reviews were good and it was pretty cheap....130 shipped....so far so good

Archived