LegacyGT.com

LGT Wagon Suspension swapped into Outback XT

Duffman

• Moderators
Looks like the same clearance I get for the same tire size and offset with the LGT swap on my OBXT. Pictures are a few pages back post #151.

Your pic in post #151 is with bilsteins, correct? Not just regular LGT suspension?

They look to be yellow, but maybe that's just the camera.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

There's a guy that's somewhat local to me that has a set of 245/45s mounted up right now, need to make the time to meet up with him and test fit them with my tokicos...curious to see how the perch on them sits...

bleh, no time!

• Moderators
Tokicos are OEM LGT spec, correct? Or am I confusing them with the KYBs?

Tokicos are lgt spec, yes--but technically so are bilsteins, konis, and kybs. The fact that the perches on the bilsteins are a bit higher is recent news to me and many others. Konis are installed in a stock housing, so the perch will obviously be stock. Tokicos are sold as a full bolt on strut w/ housing, so I'm not sure where my perches line up in terms of stock / bilstein location. Tokicos are also adjustable like konis, although konis only adjust dampening where the tokicos adjust dampening and compression, though not independently (i believe...)

Tokicos are lgt spec, yes--but technically so are bilsteins, konis, and kybs. The fact that the perches on the bilsteins are a bit higher is recent news to me and many others. Konis are installed in a stock housing, so the perch will obviously be stock. Tokicos are sold as a full bolt on strut w/ housing, so I'm not sure where my perches line up in terms of stock / bilstein location. Tokicos are also adjustable like konis, although konis only adjust dampening where the tokicos adjust dampening and compression, though not independently (i believe...)

it depends if tokicos require spec b top hats or lgt top hats. if spec b top hats, then they should also have the higher perch like bilsteins, but i dont think that is the case.

• Moderators
That almost makes it sound like in a sense the konis are adjustable LGT/KYB struts while the tokicos are adjustable spec.b/bilsteins. I know that's not going to be entirely accurate in terms of behavior, but in terms of shape / size / spring perch it sounds like that's a possibility.

• Moderators

On my car :lol:

Here's a thread about them: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tokico-hts-d-spec-struts-05-legacy-gt-great-strut-96832.html

They came on my car from the previous owner. I'm sure I could find out where he bought them from.

That almost makes it sound like in a sense the konis are adjustable LGT/KYB struts while the tokicos are adjustable spec.b/bilsteins. I know that's not going to be entirely accurate in terms of behavior, but in terms of shape / size / spring perch it sounds like that's a possibility.

yes that sounds accurate size/shape wise. to confirm this, if are able to measure from the bottom of the strut to the bottom of the spring perch, along the body, of you tokicos, then i or someone can measure the bilsteins and we can compare.

Your pic in post #151 is with bilsteins, correct? Not just regular LGT suspension?

They look to be yellow, but maybe that's just the camera.

As stated, I have OEM LGT suspension. I put Koni inserts in them but otherwise they are stock LGT. The yellow colour is a feature of the previous owner of the stocks (he painted them). Edited by dschultz

Just as an FYI, I had BC coilovers on my OBXT. I used the model spec'd for a LGT. I had no problem reaching a decent ride height with them. But in doing so left only a few inches of travel which does not work well on public roads.

When I switched to the LGT OEM suspension with the Koni inserts I found the stock LGT spring rate to soft or the spring too short. So I removed them and put the OBXT stock springs in. So what I have now is LGT bodies, Koni inserts and OBXT springs. This is the best setup I've tried on my car.

Hmm... You've got me thinking again. This might be worth a shot.

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

These tires are spec'd for mounting on 7.5" as the minimum wheel width.

I snapped some pictures for you so you can see the clearances. With stock OBXT suspension you will have more tire height to spring perch clearance. Even an 8" or 8.5" wheel with the proper offset would still clear as the tire is wider than the wheel as you can see.

What I suggest is that you find a tire shop willing to order in your chosen wheel and test fit it for you at no cost. That is what I did, because of my brakes and the shop could return the wheels to the supplier if they didn't fit and were not mounted.

Pictures:

Komodo (18x7.5 +45) by Fastwheels

OEM stock LGT suspension (painted yellow by previous LGT owner)

Tires Falken FK-452 245/45-18

Thanks for the pic showing OB sized tires using Legacy strut housings. Reading thru this topic and other postings, I see you are at 15 3/8" front and 15 1/4" rear from hub to fender lip, correct? That would make you 2" lower then OEM OB ride height and still using OB sized tires? I wounder if I could make a 2" saggy butt spacer to get back to OEM OB ride height.

Thanks for the pic showing OB sized tires using Legacy strut housings. Reading thru this topic and other postings, I see you are at 15 3/8" front and 15 1/4" rear from hub to fender lip, correct? That would make you 2" lower then OEM OB ride height and still using OB sized tires? I wounder if I could make a 2" saggy butt spacer to get back to OEM OB ride height.

I suppose you could. What would you do up front though?

Post #54 has the OEM specs.

the car will be lower regardless of the spring used. the OB ride height is not from the springs, but from the extended shock bodys. so if you run konis in LGT bodys, the OB will be 2" lower even with OB springs.

• 1 month later...