LegacyGT.com

LGT Wagon Suspension swapped into Outback XT

Duffman

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tein-s' are the exact route I'd like to take with mine. All I need are the struts from the gt wagon. Any suggestions?? I've been on the classifieds daily...

Diggs, Pm me after labor day, I may have what you want...from 07 wagon virtually new

2005 and up Legacy, GT, XT , OB etc all use wheel speed sensor for the speedo so no matter what wheels and tires you put on the speedo is spot on ;):spin:

So how does the ABS & speedo know you changed the tire size, in the case above smaller, therefore more revs/mile indicating moving faster on the dial?

If you change the tire size, how quickly or slowly the pulses occur will change and the ECU corrects it in our cars.

Not all cars do that but ours does.

Some cars ECU is programmed for nominal tire size (circumference) but the newer cars look for actual wheel speed.

In the old days it was a mechanical gear in the transmission and if you changed tire size and still had the same speedo gear it would be off...

Thats why when I put my 08 STI 6 speed and R180 rear diff in my car the speedo is spot on even though the gear ratio changed.

This doesn't make any sense to me.

It DOES make sense that wheel speed sensors would automatically adjust for changes in gearing, as in your case.

It does NOT make sense that wheel speed sensors know the circumference of the tire, if it's not OEM. They only know how fast the wheel/tire are spinning, not how big they are (or how far or how fast they're traveling). Changing the wheel/tire WILL change speedometer and odometer readings.

OOOPS!!!! I deleted my posts because.....

You are correct, not sure why I was thinking this.

I was probably thinking of times when I changed both tire size and gearing at the same time.

Edited by Scooby2.5

Scooby got me all confused, I was thinking what kind of sensor must that be... Afaik ecu uses ABS sensor which as Bimmer correctly pointed out can not tell how big the tire is, just how many repetitions per minute it is doing...

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

btw does anyone have a stock LGT wagon suspension for sale, got an 05OB for my son and guess what - he wants to lower it right away :)

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Scooby got me all confused, I was thinking what kind of sensor must that be... Afaik ecu uses ABS sensor which as Bimmer correctly pointed out can not tell how big the tire is, just how many repetitions per minute it is doing...

:redface: sorry about that

• 9 months later...

I too am struggling with Tire Size. I have Prodrove PFF7's that are 18x8 and 51 offset.

I am pretty sure I can fit 235/45/18, but now I am wondering about 245/45/18. It looks damn close to fitting on willitfit.com.

• Moderators
fstaslp, I can pretty much guarantee that you can't fit 245/45/18s with a stock style strut up front. I test fit a set of 245/40/18s on a +48 wheel (18x8.5 I believe) and the clearance to the spring perch was quite close. Other than the spring perch I think you might be able to massage the tire (or rather the car) to fit, but you need a lower offset or a smaller tire to clear the perch.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I too am struggling with Tire Size. I have Prodrove PFF7's that are 18x8 and 51 offset.

I am pretty sure I can fit 235/45/18, but now I am wondering about 245/45/18. It looks damn close to fitting on willitfit.com.

I have 245x45x18 on stock 18.5" 55 offset STI Enkei wheels.

Used a 15mm adapter from adaptech which gave me a 40 offset.

I had to roll the fenders a bit but it looks great.

Need to roll the front now as once in a while it hits...

^aren't you on coils though?

I tried that same size and it rubbed on EVERYTHING. That was on 18x9.5 +38 though. I actually just picked up some Pff7s too but I'm thinking 245/40/18

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Sideways the Seven

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

• Moderators
Yeah, coils open up options big time--that's the main reason I'm considering them. Fender work can more-or-less ALWAYS be fixed with time and money--stock strut clearance (the front lower spring perch) cannot be fixed aside from switching to coils.

Same here. I really wanted to avoid going with coils, but I'm thinking the 235/40/18 are looking too small and I'd rather not have my tire size options limited by the stock strut body. I toyed with the idea of using the stock OBXT strut bodies with some LGT lowering springs, but then I think proper damping is going to be an issue. Too bad there isn't a Koni setup for the longer strut body.

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

fstaslp, I can pretty much guarantee that you can't fit 245/45/18s with a stock style strut up front. I test fit a set of 245/40/18s on a +48 wheel (18x8.5 I believe) and the clearance to the spring perch was quite close. Other than the spring perch I think you might be able to massage the tire (or rather the car) to fit, but you need a lower offset or a smaller tire to clear the perch.

His listed tires have a slightly smaller diameter than the stock OB tire size (which fits under LGT struts). If a wheel with the appropriate offset is used, why wouldn't those fit?

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/225-55R17/245-45R18/235-45R18

• Moderators
His listed tires have a slightly smaller diameter than the stock OB tire size (which fits under LGT struts). If a wheel with the appropriate offset is used, why wouldn't those fit?

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/225-55R17/245-45R18/235-45R18

He names a specific offset, +48. That's why I don't think they will fit. And again, just because the tire is the same height, the wider width causes issue.

Edited by BarManBean

• Moderators
I have 245/45-18 on 18x7.5 wheels with a +45mm offset. My OBXT is held up by Koni insert LGT suspension. The wheels I have clear Brembo calipers. No rubbing anywhere.

Really? Lol...This is driving me crazy--conflicting reports from all directions. Some claim excessive rubbing on stock outback height and now here you are at LGT height claiming no issues. I'm gonna go crazy of this :spin::spin::spin:

BTW, those are some seriously meaty tires on 7.5" wheels!