LegacyGT.com

radiator hose

i went to the dealership for an oil change. the service guy told me i have a leak on my upper hose. he advised that i should change the bottom one as well. my question is why do i need to do both if only one is leaking? also how hard is it to swap hoses? i looked up on youtube, and saw a video on a WRX swapping hoses. does't look hard at all. my car is 99% stock. is it worth going high performance aftermarket? i did the kuhmo tires and hawk brake pads.

all the love goes to the miata :wub:

• I Donated

Hoses are made of rubber. Rubber deteriorates over time. 2005s are 7-8 years old now. You should change them both.

They are not that hard to change. Getting them off is the hard part, as the coolant may have created deposits that "glue" them on. I'd say if you REALLY don't know what you're doing, it's a 2 hour job. If you know what you're doing, half an hour, including draining the radiator and filling it back up.

I'm guessing for the cost of the silicone hoses, you could change to new rubber ones two or three times. Maybe more. They are good if you want to rice your engine bay out, though. :lol:

I just replaced all 4 of those hoses when I did the engine. The new radiator hoses, for some reason don't like the old clamps. I put the old clamps on the hoses, then put some soap on the inside of the hoses and put them on. I found it so hard to get the OEM clamps over the bump on the radiator that I just put screw type clamps on.

The hose are not that hard to change or get to. I would pull the tmic to make it easier to get the heater hoses.

The heater hoses need some care in taking them off, Don't twist the on the firewall end, if you damage the heater core you in big trouble.

You need to be careful with the radiator because the tanks are plastic. You can take a good sharp knife and cut the hoses off the nipples on the radiator and heater core if you need.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived