LegacyGT.com

So I put my Legacy into a wall...

Last night, we had SnowPocalypse 2010 here in Atlanta. I was heading out of my neighborhood to pick up some stuff for my roommate, when, as I was making a right turn at about 2-3mph, my car hit ice/compacted snow and started sliding. I tried to recover it, but nothing worked, and all I could do was sit and watch the retaining wall by the side of the road approach and hit the car.

http://i.imgur.com/u9HWo.jpg

I don't want to go through insurance to fix it up, because that would send my rates through the roof. Does anyone know where I could find a new bumper cover and front left fender to replace my damaged ones?

check the f/s threads. there is a SWP bumper for sale for $100, but it has a scuff. Definitely not as bad as yours. Thats gonna be a costly repair. PM PhillyWilly I think he has a headlight if you need one. Good Luck
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Thanks guys. The snow itself wasn't that bad, but it was the ice below it that caught me out. It was at night and there was a layer of snow over it, so no way to see it there. Being on Bridgestone RE-01R summer tires didn't help much either! Turns out that two of the other guys I autocross with regularly, both nationally competitive drivers, also got in accidents (one in an STI, just ruined a wheel). I've already got a front bumper lined up, so now I just need to find a fender.

I lived in Hotlanta in 1996 and there was a very nasty Ice storm that winter, so I know what it was like for you. Total bummer man. You have learned a very hard lesson though....and that is to NEVER drive summer rubber in freezing conditions. The rubber compound turns as hard as a hockey puck and you have zero traction. Good luck with your fix.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Last night, we had SnowPocalypse 2010 here in Atlanta. I was heading out of my neighborhood to pick up some stuff for my roommate, when, as I was making a right turn at about 2-3mph, my car hit ice/compacted snow and started sliding. I tried to recover it, but nothing worked, and all I could do was sit and watch the retaining wall by the side of the road approach and hit the car.

http://i.imgur.com/u9HWo.jpg

I don't want to go through insurance to fix it up, because that would send my rates through the roof. Does anyone know where I could find a new bumper cover and front left fender to replace my damaged ones?

2-3mph? Pretty sure all American cars have 5mph bumpers.... maybe you can sue SOA and get your car repaired for free.....:rolleyes:

Guest LGT-NY
2-3mph? Pretty sure all American cars have 5mph bumpers.... maybe you can sue SOA and get your car repaired for free.....:rolleyes:

Well, that was dick. :lol:

Trouble is it didn't actually hit the bumper square. The first point of contact was right at the edge of the bumper on the left, so it gave up what little give it had and the fender absorbed the rest of the impact. I would love to have a spare set of wheels to have winter tires mounted up, but I don't have the space in my apartment to leave them sitting around. I got the RE-01R's under the assumption that I would be very rarely/almost never be driving in the conditions we had last week down here in Atlanta. Had to have them fail me at the worst possible time :)

I did the same, but went full on left into a curb. Bounced off, only road rashed the wheels and have bad alignment. Bent rear control arm(?) and maybe the front aluminum one, and a ball joint.

The weird thing is now my Traction control is off, and stays off (light on dash). Ideas as to what is buggered causing the car to force off TC?

Archived