LegacyGT.com

Thinking on jumping ship....

CL21376

Lately I’ve been putting a lot of thought into jumping ship. When I got my GT, I knew it wasn’t 100% what I wanted, but figured I could easily get it to where I wanted it. That hasn’t exactly been easy. It’s been 2 years waiting on shocks to fix this god-awful suspension and I’m already half-way through my loan. I’m afraid I’m going to constantly be chasing a goal with this car, and never fully enjoy it, as I’m always thinking “what next?”

I’m also the kinda of person that pays off a car and keeps it for maybe a year and then moves on. So I’ll be close to halfway through my time with my GT before I have it to where I think I want it.

Sure, with Stage 1+ it’s an absolute blast in a straight line. And sticky tires and AWD help cornering, but let’s be honest…the 5th gen isn’t a great handling car. Couple with a shifter that is “acceptable” and seats that are flat as a park bench, and it just isn’t that comfortable or enjoyable sitting in traffic or toting around my wife and 1 year old.

I’m looking to get into something I don’t have to mod to get where I want it to be. I’m going to go test drive a G37s and also try to find a 6-spd Acura TL. Yeah, those cars probably aren’t as fast in a straight line, but I’m getting to where a 0.5 second in 0-60 just isn’t that big of a deal, and I’d be willing to trade that for more supportive seats, better handling, nicer interior, etc.

The added bonus of this is it would free up some money so that I could get my ’94 Firebird freshened up and start driving it as a toy car again. With 55,000 miles and mostly OEM parts, it needs some TLC.

Anyone want to help talk me out of, or into this decision?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think your nuts bro, but I here you on always wanting to modify. I love my car in every way but I see your complaints. That's why I went with coil overs and love them.

I wouldn't go as far as to say your nuts and agree with some of what your saying but really think you should take whit's advice and look at getting some coils. I'm very happy with the handling of my LGT....esp given the fact it's the size of a city block.

I wouldn't go as far as to say your nuts and agree with some of what your saying but really think you should take whit's advice and look at getting some coils. I'm very happy with the handling of my LGT....esp given the fact it's the size of a city block.

The thing is, I just hate dropping more $$ into it. I added things up, and I'm at about $4K in mods.

I've never been in a car with coilovers. Ride harshness and having them rebuilt at certain intervals concerns me. I don't want to make my GT a race car.

The thing is, I just hate dropping more $$ into it. I added things up, and I'm at about $4K in mods.

I've never been in a car with coilovers. Ride harshness and having them rebuilt at certain intervals concerns me. I don't want to make my GT a race car.

Only $4k in, ha, you're lucky. :lol:

Feel free to take an east coast road trip and I'll let you ride in mine. I'll be down in Blacksburg, VA in November which is only about 3 hours away from Charlotte if you can wait that long.

Are you going with the awd acura or don't need awd? Acuras are pricey new and not perfect either. Good luck with whatever you chose.

AWD is the only way to get a manual trans. I would probably get a CPO/used car.

If you have the money and you want to spend it on a car, then go for it. For handeling, the G-series is the closest you will get to BMW quality handeling with a japanese maker. That's my opinion of course.

Don't get an early release 2012 TL if you care about front crash safety. The later release is much better.

Acura crash tests at safercar.gov

If you aren't happy with it, get what makes you happy. Theres no point in working hard for you money and coming home and not enjoying the things you bought with it.

For me a car is a MAJOR source of enjoyment so it's the one area that I won't cut corners. I drive it to work, I relieve stress in it on the way home from work - I drive it everywhere I go. I have to LOVE it. I'm sure you're at least similar in that respect

On the other hand, if you're only getting rid of it because you don't want to mod it anymore, I'm not sure thats a great idea as we all know how that goes. If you're into modding cars, it's only a matter of time before you drop money into whatever the replacement is. Modding a car is fun, but realistically the end goal keeps getting bigger and more unattainable as you spend more.

I know how you feel and I was thinking the same thing although I grew to tolerate the car, it just isn't exactly what I want and I'll be going back to BMW soon enough (Unlike you, I am only 6 months into payments :rolleyes:)

Financial decisions suck, so I hope you figure it out and get what makes you happy and gives you plenty of enjoyment - thats what life is all about.

Lately I’ve been putting a lot of thought into jumping ship...a bunch of stuff...Anyone want to help talk me out of, or into this decision?

I'm in the same boat as you. My next car will be fast straight from the factory. I love my car, but the maintenance it requires is a bit too much for a DD.

I hate to ditch the platform because they are great cars, but it gets very expensive after awhile to try to keep up with other manufacturers newer models (even some older models).

Yeah man, go with your gut- obviously you have to make a responsible decision, but life's way too short to 'settle' with anything.. career, relationship.. anything. I LOVE the versatility of this car- looked at the Acura and Infinitys as well.. all great, long lasting and reliable cars. Get/stay with what fits your lifestyle- I couldn't go without fold-down seats and a manual.. this car is absolutely perfect for me.. but I also made this decision knowing I'm going to have it for a long, long time..

I have driven countless number of G37X and G35X for hundreds of miles at a time when I owned my M45S, as dealer loaner cars.

The 7 speed auto in the G37 is a quick and well programmed for a slush box. The acceleration is brisk, but the car is noisy, especially at higher RPMs - too noisy. The 3.7 V6 is also quite rough. The G series cars handle very well. Some might even say that they handle better than equivalent 3-series BMWs. A matter of opinion, I guess. The steering is quick and precise and the car is composed.

Stock G to stock LGT - the Infiniti is more fun to drive, the power is more linear, handling and braking is better. It is however smaller than the Legacy. And I think that my 2011 LGT is more refined (isolated). The seats in the G are more supportive and feel sportier. So does the steering wheel. Any 2010+ will have a Journey package and a back up camera.

I also got tired of an automatic and wanted to get back to a manual - I like rowing my own gears and I don't drive much in stop/go traffic. The Gs used can be had for a great price, as they depreciate more than equivalent Acura and Lexus cars. Greta value for the money. But not much to modify there - which drove me away from it - but seems like it is what you want.

Go drive the G37 and G37X and see what you think. They are reliable cars that can get you up to 26/27mpg on the highway if you behave.

PM me if you have any more questions on the G vs LGT.

Stock G to stock LGT - the Infiniti is more fun to drive, the power is more linear, handling and braking is better.

I know there are different types of braking but straight line 60-0 the LGT stops 5 feet shorter than the AWD G.

I had to cross the G37x off the list because there is no manual option. I wasn't interested in an automatic. And I didn't really want a RWD car at the time. I've looked in the Acura TLS recently, but it doesn't seem worth it to me to move over to the car. It's much nicer inside, but the performance isn't there.

I'm waiting for the new Holden Commodore VF to be released along with it's sister car by Chevy... hopefully they don't jack the prices through the roof as the production numbers will be low.

I've had my Firebird since 2001, and its always been my mod car. It wasn't until I got my GT that I started modding my daily driver. Now I'm starting to realize how nice it was to have a stock, reliable DD. I've put about 100 miles on it in the last 3 years and I kinda miss driving it.

I don't really care about fold down rear seats as my wife has an MDX. As long as I can get a rear facing infant seat I'm happy. I also don't need AWD, we get like 6" of snow a year here, and if it does snow, I can just work from home.

Before we got the MDX we had a 06 325i with the sport package. I'd love to have that type of steering precision and handling, even if it means a marginally slower car.

Looking at coilovers...$2400 for KW3s. I just hate to keep throwing $$ into cars. Having just bought a house, I can honestly say i would rather spend that money on patio furniture :lol:

Y'all make some good points. I need to find a G and a TL to drive.

I never really liked the G Series. They don't do it for me.

I'm going to look at the 2.0 Caddy ATS when it hits dealer floors in a couple days. 6spd, brembos, 270ft lbs tq from 1700rpm. When it gets too slow, tunes for the LNF are making 70 - 100hp over stock in other applications.

I know there are different types of braking but straight line 60-0 the LGT stops 5 feet shorter than the AWD G.

I think the S model with the staggered tires and 4/2 piston calipers would probably outstop the AWD G.

I never really liked the G Series. They don't do it for me.

I'm going to look at the 2.0 Caddy ATS when it hits dealer floors in a couple days. 6spd, brembos, 270ft lbs tq from 1700rpm. When it gets too slow, tunes for the LNF are making 70 - 100hp over stock in other applications.

I haven't been paying much attention to the ATS...I need to read up :)

The biggest issue with the G is everyone and their brother has one.

Archived