LegacyGT.com

sound familiar ?

97 legacy gt

2.2 block

Stock 2.5 heads

Just blew the headgasket. I haven't done this before but I have a retired machinist friend to help. Also going to take his time to go ahead and throw on a cheap turbo set up. What headgasket do I get? I would assume something for the 2.5 heads but want to make sure.

I'm searching but I would like to get this back together soon.

Oh boy here we go again another person wanting to turbo there N/A car...haha well through all the posts i have read turboing your car is going to decrease reliability and alomost everyone on this forum will say dont do it. Might as well do a motor swap to a wrx or sti motor, since they are built for turbos. .....You can try checking Fred Beans Parts, they seem to have stuff for pretty cheap. Good luck

Did I say anything about reliability? Did i say anything about oh can i turbo my car? Read again. 2.2 block and 2.5 heads, decreased compression over stock and is fine for a small turbo setup. Its been done plenty of times. Read over on rs2.5.

All I asked was what headgasket.

You will need the head gasket to match the bore of the block and NOT the heads. I'd buy an OE or Felpro gasket set that is designed for your specific block.

Also, you would have no problem running a TD04 if you wanted. And, in order to run the turbo setup you will need a turbo crossmember, WRX/STi ECU and harness, and you will need to have the stock and WRX/STi harness' merged...

You'll need more than that, but those things are the most important things you'll need to take care of.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys I'm going to order my stuff tonight, and I don't want to forget anything. Head gaskets, valve cover gasket kit, cam seals, rear main seal, oil separator plate, intake manifold gaskets, and exhaust manifold gaskets. Any O-rings or other gaskets in the head I'm forgetting? Is there a gasket for the breathers on the valve covers?

I replaced the timing belt and components, water pump, thermostat, front main seal, and resealed the oil pump about 20k miles ago, so I'm going to wait a while to do that again.

I will be adding a turbo to my hybrid engine, maybe not right now, but I would like to go ahead and swap the crossmember while the engine is out. For you guys that went turbo, what crossmember did you use, and did you need anything else to make it work?

Archived