LegacyGT.com

Bad steering wheel shake - bent wheel/warped rotors?!

Catalyst

I have pretty severe vibration through the steering wheel at speeds over 60 and I can feel like a dead spot or something when I'm coming to a stop. I recently rotated my tires and the problem got worse noticeably.

But the vibration is worst when braking at moderate to high speeds, pretty violent. Could I have a bent wheel and warped rotors? Would a bent rim shake the steering wheel that bad when braking?

I replaced rotors only about 2 years ago with Centric premiums. Tires have been balanced many times. Tires are in very bad need of replacing as well but I'd like to know if I need new wheels first.

"This is an adventure."

• Mega Users

I get a pretty bad steering wobble only under mid to hard braking. I do have a bit of a dead spot in the steering but the wheel is solid at all other times.

My front rotors are pretty worn and ribbed. I get tons of brake dust lately.

I'm also pretty sure that my LCA bushings are shot.

My plan is to replace my pads, resurface rotors, install both sets of poly LCA bushings, and install poly steering rack bushings.

Hopefully that will take all of the play out of the whole front end. Good luck with your issue.

Just adding my recent experience.

I thought I had warped rotors that needed turned or replaced. I would get steering wheel shimmy when braking from higher speeds.

My plan was to do this after getting my front LCA bushings and rear upper bushings replaced.

While driving home after the bushing installs, to my delight, I noticed that the braking shimmy was completely gone.

Turns out it was all another symptom of toasted bushings.

Archived