LegacyGT.com

Wiring The Back Up Cam

paintpollz

• Mega Users

Hey Guys,

Sorry I've been blowing up the double din thread like crazy. I'm trying to figure out how to wire my Boyo back up cam that came with my Kenwood DNX 7180.

The back up cam has the yellow A/V input to go into head unit (like 25ft long). Then it has a pair of black and yellow wires, which Im assuming are power wires.

So the HU has the camera accessory wires. two of them say "cam + & cam -" which I'm assuming are the power wires for the camera. Then is has wires that are "relay 2 & relay 1". The HUs manual says "relay 2 to the relay box" and relay 1 blue/red".

I'm running wires to the rear of the car regardless (for an amp). I've seen in other threads that if you are doing that, its easier to run the HU accessory wires to the back of the car to connect to the tail lights. Yes, no?

Also, the Relay 2 wire would go to the reverse light wire correct (because I'm not hooking it up to the relay)? what about relay 1? is that a power wire? and where could I run that?

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Mega Users

so on the wiring harness of the Kenwood HU there is also a really long purple wire labeled reverse. So I think I can attach that to the reverse light, run the video a/v cord from the camera to the HU, and just run the power wires to my trailer relay and I'll be good. I dont think I need to use the camera accessory wires I was talking about earlier, maybe thats just for the Kenwood brand reverse cam? (I have a Boyo backup cam)

Any one chime in here on theire thoughts?

I put a camera on the back of the tent trailer and wired the camera power to the trailer tail-light. Then I ran the coax cable up to the trunk where I have an RCA coupler, then another cable that runs to my LCD touch screen. I just plug it in and close the lid on the cable when I use it.

I'd guess that your CAM+ and CAM- would go to that COAX from the camera, and your purple wire goes to the backup lights so it auto-switches to the camera view when you go in to reverse. You could also wire your camera power to the backup light line so it is only on in reverse, if you only wanted a reverse camera.

In my case I wanted the camera on all the time when I was towing. I actually have two cameras now- one on my car and one on the trailer. I have switched to the car cam a few times to check out the trailer hitch and all while I'm towing, but mostly I just leave it on the trailer cam.

My trailer camera is only on when the tail lights are on, but that was easier than running another power line from the car to the trailer, since my trailer battery keeps the trailer power hot all the time, which would have kept the camera always on.

• Mega Users

Ya i figured it out those camera harness on the HU was for an accessory camera, not the rear one. So like in your case, if I had a trailer, that's how I would wire it.

I just ran the purple reverse wire in the HUs harness all the way back to the reverse light, plugged the video cord from the camera into the HU, then powered the camera with the trailer relay (i ran a power wire for the trailer all the way to the batt.)

It's working perfectly.

Thanks

Archived