LegacyGT.com

Loose Gas Cap = No Cruise???

So I filled my LGT up this morning and then went on a 3 hour road trip. When I got there I noticed the Check Engine light was one and the Cruise light was blinking. I pulled over and checked the gas cap and found it was loose, so I tightened it back up again. I called the dealership and they said once the Check Engine light is tripped, by my gas cap in this case, the cruise control is disabled. They also said it would stay that way for a couple days until the computer resets itself. In addition, they said if I could find a Subaru dealer they could reset it for me manually, but that I only get one loose gas cap reset under warranty. What a load of crap. I had to drive three hours back on the interstate without cruise control, something I depend on to keep myself from speeding.

End rant.

Dang, what's with 'one loose gascap reset under warranty' crap? I thought Subaru was taking more of an initiative to take care of their customers?

On the ligher side, instead of a three hour road trip, you could've said 'a three hour tour'. Now everyone hates me cuz they have Gilligan's island theme song in their heads :lol:

PS Maryann was hotter than Ginger

PS Maryann was hotter than Ginger

Agreed.

Mr. Poon -

Honestly I don't think that is all that bad. VW and Audi (as others, Ford, GMC) do not reset the CEL without money - especially when the driver forgets to tighten the cap. User error in my book - especially with the sensitive smog regulations.

Give it time for the computer to reset. All is good in the end. If you don't wanna wait, go and get it reset at the stealership... for free. Just don't forget to tighten your cap next time.

In my experience with a EGT CEL / cruise shutdown, it took only a halfday and one cold start before it reset itself (once I corrected the problem).

+2 on Maryann! But I was only a kid, and she looked something like my mom {shudder...} :D

Both lights are still on this morning- this is getting old. We'll see how things are this afternoon.

MaryAnn all the way for me, too. I used to wonder why the Professor could manage to build a radio out of a coconut but couldn't patch the freaking boat. But it occurred to me, why would he want to? He's got MaryAnn and Ginger on a deserted island. Skipper and Gilligan seem to be somewhat of a (ahem) couple, and the Powells are in their own world. Turns out that the Professor is even wiser than we all thought, the old scammer.

Are you sure it is just the gas cap ?

I had a similiar occurance, the CEL/Blinkie came on, I stop by the side of the road. Checked gas cap, tightened it because it was loose. Drove back home and after a few cranks of the starter it went away. Then it came back next day and I went straight to the dealer. Found a couple of Gas Cap and one EGT sensor CELs in history and cleared em all. By the end of the day the CEL/Blinkie came on again, so I hit up the dealer early next morning, they found out the EGT sensor was faulty and replaced.

Hit up Autozone, they can read and clear the codes, I think. At least you will know what the codes are.

I keed I keeed

If they want to charge you to reset the CEL, screw that. Go out and pick up an ODBII scanner for $100 instead. I'm sure they will charge you like $75 for a reset, I know some places around here charge that $75 just to look at what the CEL is. This way you can look at your CEL, and clear the gas cap CEL, or other CEL, every time you get one, not that it would be often....just an idea.

• 9 years later...

A loose gas cap disables the cruise control? Subaru must have quite the sense of humor, but it's not funny.

And, with all their high tech info display, they can't tell the driver what's wrong? How much trouble could it be to translate the fault code into something legible.

I'm afraid this gets Subaru a black mark in Consumer Reports.

A loose gas cap disables the cruise control? Subaru must have quite the sense of humor, but it's not funny.

And, with all their high tech info display, they can't tell the driver what's wrong? How much trouble could it be to translate the fault code into something legible.

I'm afraid this gets Subaru a black mark in Consumer Reports.

Welcome to the forum. All the CEL codes are listed on here.

You can reset the ECU by starting and stopping the engine 4 times, or remove the battery cable for about 15 minutes.

Or any auto parts store will read the code and reset it for free.

anytime you get a CEL the CC drops out. It's part of the way to force you to get it checked out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

drJohnny was obviously using the search function for a specific issue.

Guy gets blasted for breathing life into this dusty crypt of an old thread, yet would get blasted for starting a new thread?

New guys can't win....

Archived