LegacyGT.com

backfire/stutter under heavy boost?

Had cyl 3 misfire code this weekend, car was idling rough and bogging down. Saw coil pack connector was loose (broken tab), changed coil pack just in case and ziptied connected for now.

Cleared code with AP (stage 2 for the last 40k miles no issues). Car idles perfect, drives fine until i really get on the gas. There seems to be like a backfire popping noise, no codes come up.

Could my coil pack mishap have fouled the plug? or is this something else.

We tell everyone to zip tie the vacuum hose, they can pop off over time.

You can pull the small hose off the blow off valve and give it a short blast of air, then put your thumb over the hose. Make sure you put a pint size paint can in the hose off the air filter box to keep the air pressure in. If you have a leak you should be abole to hear it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I really dont think its a leak, it boosts just fine.

I am getting cylinder 3 roughness on the accessport, none in the others. 2 counts when i floored it and backed off right away. Plug or injector?

I had a similar problem that I took too long to diagnose and ended up with ringland failure. IMHO, until you get a better idea of what this is, stop driving your car.

Have you checked to see what your AFR does when you get the roughness?

Have you checked around the head for leaks?

Also, if you want more help from the vets, it might be a good idea to list any mods you have done to clarify.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived