LegacyGT.com

Winter Wheel/Tire Options - '05 Legacy GT

DaveWilson

I'm starting to look at what wheels and tires I'm going to run for the winter on my new-to-me 2005 Legacy GT and I'm looking for some input on a few different options. As for my driving style, I would say I drive faster than I probably should on rough and snow covered roads. My 90km commute is a bit of uncleared gravel road but mostly prairie highway but it is often covered in snow drifts and sometimes black ice.

1) Run stock size winters (215/45-R17) on my 17" wheels and risk damaging a wheel/tire in a deep pothole.

2) Run taller than stock car winter tires on my 17" wheels to gain some sidewall height and a bit of ground clearance too.

3) Run taller than stock light truck winter tires on my 17" wheels to get a bit more sidewall strength as well.

4) Put some wrx front brakes on and run a smaller diameter wheel with taller sidewall but stay around the stock overall diameter. This seems expensive but with the potholes we get around here if I destroy a wheel and tire because I didn't have enough sidewall this option doesn't sound too bad.

Still have some time to figure it out before winter hits, but figured I'd start asking now. Thanks in advance for any input,

Dave

I ran the Stock 2005 LGT rims on my 98 with Winter Sport M3s in 215/45/17 with no issue.

Although I would have preferred the Winter Sport 4Ds in 225/45/17.

Either way if you go with a performance snow tire - they have much stiffer sidewalls and will provide the protection you seek for "Spirited" driving.

I actually was sold on this when I put the M3s on my Turbo Jetta a few years back only to discover they outperformed the factory All-Seasons in the dry summer months - WHAT!!!:spin: Yeah VW cheaps out on All-Seasons.:p

Archived