LegacyGT.com

Legacy Carpeting Ruined.

Long story short, changed oil at a friends house, and brought it back. Bag somehow broke (we triple garbaged bagged it) and got all over the rear passenger carpeting.

Its just a light tan colored now, but still it bugs me. What worries me now, is any potential oil UNDER the carpeting....

I have some Vacation Pics, but it seems like the carpeting is one huge piece?

On another car I had there was an oil pressure line that was feeding the gauge that broke and pumped about a quart of oil under the carpet...I did not notice at first until I smelled oil and did some searching...:mad:

I ended up taking all the carpeting out, spraying biodegradable degreaser on the carpet and pressure washing it then repeating those steps another 900 times....it took ALL day (I was literally outside from 8am to 4pm) but I got most of it out.

For the car itself, I left that on a side slope, in the sun and placed papertowels in strategic areas where the remaining oil was soaked up. Did the degreaser thing in there as well...

All in all it was a 2 1/2 day project stripping, cleaning and reassembling.

Good luck!

i'm guessing on the carpeting being one large piece but you can lift up the back section pretty easily. Just remove the rear seats and some pop rivets and lift half the section of carpeting up. Then you can check or clean whatever oil there is. This is just my guess i haven't done it before.

One large piece. Lots of places will make you new carpet kits. It can't be lower quality than the crap they put in there to begin with. I had a hole in my carpet where my heel pivoted when I got in the car after 6 months of driving the thing. It's not like I'm a 400 pound gorilla either. It is just cheap carpet. You are better off without it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

You can be sure there is still a bit of oil under the carpet. Engine oil is nasty stuff in terms of getting into every little crease and sticking on surfaces. This exactly what you want it to do in your engine but not in your cabin.

I think you should try a wet/dry vac!

I'm surprised you aren't still smelling it.

Grab your yellow pages and let your fingers do the walking.

I would also suggest maybe trying a detail shop where they have a hot water extractor. That could help at least get the oil that is still in the carpet out. It might not do much for the stain, but it could help. Or you can rent one, but make sure it is a hot water extractor. The ones that detailers use will superheat that water to near steam and it really gets the job done.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived