LegacyGT.com

New sound system

emmer90d

Right now I'm running alpine type s speakers with a alpine f4 (400 watt) powering them.

I also have 2 rockford 12in P1's (2nd generation) with a walmart special sony xplode 1000 watt amp.

For the issue, I am not happy with the subs i have and am looking to put kicker CVX's in the box and take out the P1s. The kickers "call" for 750rms each. I would like to keep my subs and amp from the same company. (might be unneeded, but i feel that a company makes amps that can power their own subs...) I'm looking at getting 2 kicker ZX1000 amps to power the Kicker CVX's.

If i did this, would all 3 amps be drawing too much power from my battery/alt? Would that result in me needing a second battery?

I'm not competing or anything, but if i'm putting a large box in my trunk, i should get the most out of it. Money is tight, but for the right system i can work for it. As it looks i'm already going to spend about $1200 for the subs and amps.

I'm new at this and will take any opinions and suggestions on what i should do, or if i should not get the kickers...and if so please give a suggestions on what to get!

Get one amp for your subs, it's way simpler. And don't get all set on having Kicker amps for Kicker subs; that really narrows your options and you won't be able to get what's best for you. Kicker doesn't design their amps to specifically power their own subs, nor do they design their subs such that another amp can't power them effectively.

With two CVXs, I'd get THIS amp myself. You'd want two dual 4 ohm subs so you could wire to 1 ohm at the amp.

And yes, this would be quite the strain on your car's electrical system. I don't personally have experience with my Subaru running a system this powerful, but based on past experiences...expect to wear out alternators a lot faster if you don't upgrade. Also, expect to have serious light dimming at night. Adding a second battery wouldn't help any unless you want extra reserve power for showing off the system when the car isn't running.

Whatever you do, the enclosure is the biggest factor. You sound like the kind of guy that would do well with a ported enclosure. Get a custom one built to the specs of the subs you buy and you'll be impressed. Heck...try a new enclosure (and an amp that doesn't suck) with the subs you have now and you may be satisfied.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Your stock alternator probably won't be able to handle that much abuse.

I'm running an Optima Redtop /w a special car audio battery in the trunk, 0 guage "big 3" upgrade and still getting dim lights.

My setup is:

JBL BP 1200.1 pushing 2 Alpine type R's

Rockford Fosgate PBR300x4 pushing 4 Polk Audio db651's

At a bare minimum, do the "big 3" upgrade and/or upgrade your stock battery.

+1 Dbl,

There is no need to match the manufacturer of your amplifier(s) to your driver(s). If you are particular to this "idea" than so be it, but it's only going to limit your options. Manufacturers do not really engineer/fabricate amplifier(s) to specific drivers they may offer. It's a business. They engineer/fabricate their amplifier(s) to be used universally.

Why are you particular to the Kicker CVX's? Is it because of your enclosure type/volume?

Btw, why exactly aren't you satisfied w/ your p1's?

If money is "tight," than why multiple Sub(woofers)?

$1200? -I won't derail this thread, but I did just drool a little bit thinking about the drivers one/I could purchase w/ that budget. Scan, Dyn, Brax, Mac, ....Cream of the crop. That's an insane $$$ ratio between your front stage & your substage. -A backwards one in fact, lol.

Btw, if you are particular to "kicker," the neighbor has a Kicker Mono laying around. Pm me if interested.

+1 Dbl,

There is no need to match the manufacturer of your amplifier(s) to your driver(s). If you are particular to this "idea" than so be it, but it's only going to limit your options. Manufacturers do not really engineer/fabricate amplifier(s) to specific drivers they may offer. It's a business. They engineer/fabricate their amplifier(s) to be used universally.

Why are you particular to the Kicker CVX's? Is it because of your enclosure type/volume?

Btw, why exactly aren't you satisfied w/ your p1's?

If money is "tight," than why multiple Sub(woofers)?

$1200? -I won't derail this thread, but I did just drool a little bit thinking about the drivers one/I could purchase w/ that budget. Scan, Dyn, Brax, Mac, ....Cream of the crop. That's an insane $$$ ratio between your front stage & your substage. -A backwards one in fact, lol.

Btw, if you are particular to "kicker," the neighbor has a Kicker Mono laying around. Pm me if interested.

For a while i used Kicker CVRs that were in a factory box and they were very nice. They hit lower notes than the P1s i have. I was kind of looking for subs that i can put into the box i already have, it would save a little money, and the box fits nicely in my trunk.

I guess i'm off of the same amp and speakers because everyone seems to think it means nothing.

What do you mean by "i'm backwards"? I haven't even heard of " Scan, Dyn, Brax, Mac..." before.

I've been told i "need" to change my head unit, but subaru has a nice factory unit, and i have every feature subaru offers (6-cd, sat, aux..). I thought about maybe investing in a JL audio cleensweep to clean up the sound coming out.

And i am open to any sugestions. if you think 1200 could be spent better then i want to hear it. I don't want to waste my money either.....

Heck...try a new enclosure (and an amp that doesn't suck) with the subs you have now and you may be satisfied.

Thats a very good thought, i wonder if i just get a better amp for the P1s if i can get the sound i'm looking to get. The subs don't have the best ratings, (150rms each i think), but maybe a better amp would do the trick and save me a lot of money.

The box is a custom build ported box for the P-1s. I'll take a picture today, if i end up getting a new system then they will be for sale.

P1s are kinda entry-level, so they're not gonna shock and awe anyone. I've been out of the subwoofer game for a couple years so I'm not going to make any recommendations beyond suggesting you take a look at the Alpine Type R. A friend of mine had a pair of 12s that impressed me, especially for the price. If you want to hit the lows really hard, get a pair of 15s.

.17HMR is saying you're backwards in that you're spending a lot on your substage with a kinda lack-luster front stage. The front stage is way more important in terms of listening to music, but if you're happy with what you've got, go with it.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

What exactly is the problem with your current subs? From what you said, it sounds like you're looking for better depth? If so, just changing the box might really be the only thing you need to do. I've only ever run a single 12 (first a Treo, now an MTX Thunder 5500, neither anything special) getting maybe 300W (in both a a car trunk and an SUV) and it's always been gut-busting. The box can truly make or break a subwoofer application.

Understood on your enclosure dilema.

-Type of enclosure? -Ported, just seen that a few posts down. Type of port?

-Volume?

-Any preference(s) on drivers?

Correct, the whole "same amp & speakers" means nothing.

Dbl explained what I mean by "backwards." Scan, Dyn, etc. are mostly raw drivers. I will not get into this as it would ultimately derail this thread. PM me if interested.

If you are satisfied & wish to retain your OEM HU, a processor would be a VERY good investment, especially considering your budget.

$1200 can be spent bettter. However, that "better" is only going to differ person to person. It seems like you have a few components picked out already (cleansweep, CVX's, etc.) which is good. However, before you drop your $$$, I suggest you start from square 1 & start figuring your priorities to make the most of your $1200 budget. You have a budget. Now what's your motive. Than figure your application & finally any other circumstances that needed to be taken into consideration.

You'd be surprised how loud "1 Watt RMS" actually is.

The Type R is not a bad woofer. One of our local distributors carries them. I have personally heard a wide variety of woofers & I will note that I prefer Boston over the Type R, CVR or CVX (as you noted) & many more considering the price/value. I spoke to Jeff (owner) a while back & he also noted that a majority of his customers preferred the Boston (G3) over the Type R -both at a similar pricepoint.

^This is all subjective, but I am just laying down some additional information for you.

Ha, I would totally derail this thread if I listed what I'd do W/ a $12xx budget

It's definitely all preference. I've been running 1 12" Rockford Fosgate Prime P1 powered by a planet audio 1000w amp since last summer for my first system and haven't been disappointed with it at all. Granted it's nothing compared to my buddies systems which is why I'll be upgrading to 2 12" RF Punch P3's this summer.

Also, over winter break I helped my friend install 2 10" Kicker CVX's in his regular cab ranger and they definitely hit pretty hard. Just enough to blur your vision a little. Got it done for A LOT cheaper than $1200..more around $300.

Archived