LegacyGT.com

LAX police

terrangama

I got pulled over twice at LAX in a 2 minute span. While it is my fault that I have an expired registration I think it was kind of ridiculous what happened.

first time getting pulled over the Police officer says my registration is expired and that I need to put my front license plate on. He gives me a corrective ticket for only the registration telling me to put my front license plate on as soon as possible, but that I wont have to get it checked. So he puts me on my way. 2 minutes later another police officer pulls me over again for registration. I show the officer that I had just gotten a corrective ticket for it and that I will take care of it as soon as possible. He then proceeds to walk around my car looking for more things to write me up for. He says that on top of my expired registration and front license plate, my windows are tinted (bought the car second hand, its so light you can barely notice). I tell him that the previous officer noted that I did not have a front license plate, but did not write it up, so this officer says he is writing me up another corrective ticket for my front license plate, but that he is going leave me be with the tint. I was expecting to be pulled over one more time and being ticketed for my window tint.

This all happened around 7 am on saturday, when LAX was relatively slow. Does anyone else here think that they bored a**holes were just trying to fill their quota? I mean it is kind of handy that the first guy decides to let me off for the front license plate and the next guy decides to write me up for it even though the first guy decides to let me go. Not to mention the second officer letting me go for tint.

honestly I screwed up my registration, but was it really necessary to look for more things to write me up for after getting my first ticket? The second officer distinctively walked around my car after he I showed him that I had already been ticketed for expired registration.

You got to be shitting me!! .. you drive around without a front plate AND without rego .. and expect the cops to ... be lenient!?

Man!

Yes we all love to be tall and fancy free, with the wind blowing in our hair etc etc .. only thing that screws that up ... the God Damned authorities have rules regulations and laws .. damned!

Now in saying that.. they were a bit "picky" but then, if you put yourself in a situation where they CAN.. pick on you .. well..

I have been pulled a few times in my life and yes, I have faltered too .. however lately .. I play by the rules, and must say .. one feel rather "content" when they have NOTHING .. to ping you on :)

There is still plenty of scope to mod your car etc .. but honestly .. no front plate .. no registration ... I really don't think you have a lot to whine about

Wow...what a bunch of asshats! :eek: I'm not surprised...as soon as I read the title "LAX police" I knew nothing good could come from that. I always exercise extra caution when I need to go through there.

But I am surprised that it took place that early on a Saturday. Usually LAX is crawling w/ those Nazis on weekdays but they're nowhere to be found on weekends (which goes to show you they don't really care about "safety", only revenue). :rolleyes:

You got to be shitting me!! .. you drive around without a front plate AND without rego .. and expect the cops to ... be lenient!?

Man!

Yes we all love to be tall and fancy free, with the wind blowing in our hair etc etc .. only thing that screws that up ... the God Damned authorities have rules regulations and laws .. damned!

Now in saying that.. they were a bit "picky" but then, if you put yourself in a situation where they CAN.. pick on you .. well..

I have been pulled a few times in my life and yes, I have faltered too .. however lately .. I play by the rules, and must say .. one feel rather "content" when they have NOTHING .. to ping you on :)

There is still plenty of scope to mod your car etc .. but honestly .. no front plate .. no registration ... I really don't think you have a lot to whine about

I admit that i was at fault. No registration is completely on me and I have only myself to blame. Front license plate, sure it is the law. What I am upset about is the fact that I got pulled over a second time, and the officer who pulled me over that second time felt it was necessary to do a walk around on my car even when I had been pulled over 2 minutes earlier. Even when I told him the officer before him already addressed me about my front license . I feel as if he was pissed that I had already been ticketed and that he had to find something else to put on me. Or maybe it is a conspiracy and all the LAX officers have this things where they each ticket you for one individual item so they can all get in on some action.

but you are right, you gotta make sure they can't get anything on you, again registration is on me. Lesson learned.

On that note is it ok to put the front license plate on my windshield? I realy dont want to drill holes on my new jdm bumper

Here is an update.

My GF just got pulled over today while driving my car around USC. Again she was pulled over for vehicle registration, but as noted above we have corrective tickets for both Expired license and no front license plate. So after that he asks her if I race and asks her to pop the hood. So GF said she played dumb the whole way and said she didn't know if I have ever modified my car. She said she didn't know but that I had bought the car second hand. So eventually pops the hood and says that I have a heavily modified engine all the while asking her if I race my car again and again. He also asks her if I put on the boost gauge and that people who race usually install boost gauges. In the end he let her go since she wasn't the owner of the car, but he told her as she left that had I been driving he would have written me a ticket for several hundred dollars. I haven't exactly had time to get my registration done, but I taking time off tomorrow to get that done ASAP. How many of you have had to pop your hood for a cop? and are there any tricks to make the car look more stock?

*raises hand*

Was harrassed for over 2 hours right infront of my work by Riverside Cops. In the end he didn't describe anything right on my car but the judge favored in his testimony and my ticket was $962. Ticket was for Smog (intake breather hose wasn't connected to the manifold because it fell off while I was driving) and for modified exhaust.

The car was my Civic Hatch with a GSR engine.

Just fyi in California a modified exhaust is probable cause for search under the hood. I can't remember what year it was changed but a modified exhaust used to have to be determined by a DBA meter as being to loud before any ticket could be written up. They changed the law and now anything sounding "un-normal" is deemed to be modified and warrants probable cause for search of the engine bay. They can't however search the vehicle so let them look under the hood all they want.

Oh and they also did a walk around my car about 10-20 times trying to find stuff, running the vin on the car and the motor swap etc.. Riverside has a very smart Anti-race task force with lots of data and information and training to those officers. In the end the only found the hose to be off the intake and my exhaust to be "not natural sounding" (as the cop stated to the judge).

Thats what we get for living in this liberal nazi state.

Well illegal activity is illegal activity, window tint on the front windows is illegal in California, no front license plate is illegal and so is expired registration, most of those are great hits to find more. Most minor infractions lead to bigger crimes. From experience window tint sucks, one from having to remove it, and the other being shot at approaching a car with tint, so most cops have a zero tolerance with tint. The front license plate is minor but that alone can alert a cop. If you don't want them messing with you, stop making yourself a target! I had to get rid of my Folgers can Greddy exhaust, window tint and my clear corner lights on my Nissan. To stop getting harassed. It just made me a target! Even though I had a letter from the Commander of CHP to Greddy stating this exhaust system is legal and that he appoligizes himself for any harassment that occurred before the letter.

The letter usually pissed off the officer that pulled me over for the exhaust, causing them to search around the vehicle for other illegal crap. In one night I got pulled over 5 times for that exhaust, then finally ticked for the clear corner lights. Well as the law stated it was illegal to change or alter my turn signal/reflector.

As for the Riverside Task force here is some history on it. It actually started in San Diego. The task force is called "Drag-Net" kinda catchy name. The Drag-Net has been broken up in San Diego because a lack of funding, but they are training other agencies to fight drag racing as far away as Turkey (that's right international recognition!)http://www.californiaconnected.org/tv/archives/71

The Drag-Net training is being performed by some EPA board emissions control experts and a couple San Diego Police Officers that started Drag-Net. Laws are changing in California to allow officers to look under the hood of your car if he has probable cause. Things they are looking for are, large aftermarket tachs (monster tachs), exhaust, A/F meters or any auxillery gauges for that matter, piggyback ecu's that are visible, roll cages all suggests a strong case to illegal street racing and would lead to a high probability of more that 51% that you have illegal modification done to your emissions controlled engine. Some mods they know are illegal, adjustable fuel pressure regulators, boost controllers manual or auto, air filters, inter coolers and the lists go on. I attended one of these training courses and was kinda shocked what they know and what they are training some of these agencies. Even though the car may pass the sniff test out the tail pipe it still is illegal to change the emissions equipment without a CARB OE #. The class also teaches how to "Profile" a racer too, which is kinda vague in my opinion, so with some of these mods you are guilty until proven innocent which I think is a violation of our rights. Even though I took the class, I didn't agree with alot of what they were doing, I think they are working on a very gray legal line here, but when you have the backing of the DA and most all of the Judges out there that have a zero tolerance on the subject you will loose.

The profiling, that I said is kinda vague, but only because I don't agree with it to me it dosent say a specific person, but a group of automotive enthusiats that arent breaking the law. But I listed them in my original post. Most of it is the visual stuff on the car. The profiling as I call it is just the targeting of certain import cars (civics, WRX's, Toyotas) very few domestics were listed. What they are looking for is: Lowered, Tinted Window, Exhaust, Monster Tach, A/F Gauge, Boot Gauges, Boost Controlers, Piggybacked ECU's, Pillar Gauges, Roll Cages and all of this has to be in plain view from the window of the car. Mostly what makes a "ricer" a ricer. It felt like the course was more being taught by domestic market lovers against the import aftermarket scene, not really street racing. I felt like I was a criminal myself even though I havent modified my car yet!

just next time dont give them a reason to pull you over

+1.

I love these tard threads where the OP states that he hates such-and-such authorities because they pulled him over and hassled/ ticketed him for his illegal actions.

Here's a thought: Stop breaking the law, Asshole!

You were driving around with expired insurance? Good one. Up here, they tow your car to impound, and give you a $500.00+ ticket for being a retard.

Guess howe much the insurance company helps you out if you get into an accident and smash up somebody else's car and hurt / kill someone?

Guess!

yeah breaking the law is breaking the law.

But now the Law has changed a little, you could be going along thinking your not doing anything wrong, a Cop observes certain legal modifications, with a combination of a few of them and figures in a certain amount of probability based on those modifications, and now your late for work, and he's under the hood conducting an inspection of sorts. Then writing you up for what in his professional opinion is, illegal under the hood of your car, leaving you to take the bus.

I'm all for a good stop, and issuing tickets to people that you know would not take care of something with just a warning, but just because you have certain legal mods on your car you are most certain an Illegal Street Racer with Illegal Modifications Done to you car.

Great posts here...yes police definitely "profile" vehicles and expired registration is a big PICK ME target to get pulled over.

Rolling the windows down, avoid passing them or try to stay behind them, never go over 10 mph over the speed limit, making exact stops...etc all good tips.

Don't use ANY stickers or decals because that also attracts attention.

LAX Airport cops aren't regular LAPD. They get paid way less and probably give more tickets so they can get promoted to regular LAPD. So LAX area is a ticket magnet.

Re: the front plates...if you have to park on the street the meter maids in L.A. give tons of tickets for that so just another hassle to deal with.

+1.

I love these tard threads where the OP states that he hates such-and-such authorities because they pulled him over and hassled/ ticketed him for his illegal actions.

Here's a thought: Stop breaking the law, Asshole!

You were driving around with expired insurance? Good one. Up here, they tow your car to impound, and give you a $500.00+ ticket for being a retard.

Guess howe much the insurance company helps you out if you get into an accident and smash up somebody else's car and hurt / kill someone?

Guess!

The OP had insurance as far as we know so no need to flame on him. He was not registered and if I did not have my registration right in front of my eyes on the window with a clearly written month and year I would most likely forget too. Cali has those really small stickers on the plates...how often do you check that:confused: Years go by fast and even with my window stickers I have nearly forgotten once or twice.

Concerning the OP I feel he was more angry over being pulled over twice within two minutes, showed the PO the previous ticket and stated he planned on immediately fixing the issues (was even honest with the front plate and the previous PO) yet the PO decided to waste more of his VALUABLE time sitting in the car getting looked over to what can be assumed as "gettin' his quota if the other PO got his" like he is some piece of meat.

The first stop is warranted for the mistakes of the OP, but the length of the second stop is rediculous.

Archived