LegacyGT.com

Removing scuffs on plastic parts?

OCDetails or someone knowledgeable, do you have any advice on removing scuff marks from plastic bits of the car? Specifically the door panels where your foot hits. I've got some lighter colored scuffs already and I'm curious what the best way to get rid of them would be, especially as the plastic is textured.

Additionally, I scratched my shift knob 'fake wood', I'm thinking a normal polish would take it out, but any advice on that one?

I think what also has to be remembered is that when you scratch something and actually remove mass from whatever got scratched, that sort of thing isn't just going to wipe off. You can't drag a screwdriver across your kitchen table and then expect to get a bottle of pledge and wipe it out. lol If you have gouges in parts of your car then it is quite possible that you are going to have to live with them. I don't know what the plastic stuff around the front of the seats are made of, but I had irreperable damage to those after a very short time. I don't know what I whacked them with, but it was enough to put some 'scuffs' in it that weren't coming out no matter what I used. Sometimes all you can do is clean the dirt out of the scrape and live with the damage.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I think what also has to be remembered is that when you scratch something and actually remove mass from whatever got scratched, that sort of thing isn't just going to wipe off. You can't drag a screwdriver across your kitchen table and then expect to get a bottle of pledge and wipe it out. lol If you have gouges in parts of your car then it is quite possible that you are going to have to live with them. I don't know what the plastic stuff around the front of the seats are made of, but I had irreperable damage to those after a very short time. I don't know what I whacked them with, but it was enough to put some 'scuffs' in it that weren't coming out no matter what I used. Sometimes all you can do is clean the dirt out of the scrape and live with the damage.

That's what I was afraid of. Definitely know about removing the mass -- just like a shallow scratch to paint. That's why I was wondering if anyone had tried an abrasive polish against it. That silly plastic trim seems to have a very thick clear outer portion that's very very soft. I may try a very mild abrasive and see if I can't polish those scratches out of it, since it's not a textured finish.

The door panels are another story -- due to the texture on them, short of polishing the texture out of the whole door panel, I suspect I'm hosed. I wouldn't think just shoe scuffing would actually remove significant mass, so maybe it's just an optical illusion making it look that way and cleaning is all it needs. We shall see!

• 5 years later...

get a scrap piece of interior plastic that has the same texture as what you scratched/ scuffed... take a torch and gentle heat the problem area than use your scrap piece as a press to re imprint the grain or texture into the panel.

Gentle steady heat, firm but gentle press, and then let it cool.

Archived