LegacyGT.com

Some vf52 logs

05Boost

Edit: newest logs post 54 Sept 2th

Well i finally got my cable to hook up and everything right thanks to testes.

Notices some bad things so here you guys go. Hope i logged the right things for you guys.

Log 1/25

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mmtzymuwzzg

hope that works so you guys can view it. Or just send me an email and ill send it to you tom.sunderlan@gmail.com

-Tom

edit: logs 1/26 first part 3rd gear and second part is a run through the gears.

vhttp://www.mediafire.com/download.php?knkkemiwzwz

log 1/27 with stock mufflers on now.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2jzi2mehjyz

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're overboosting like crazy.

Don't forget that the VF52 comes with a small restrictor pill. I'm assuming that you are using the stock BCS with the pill that came with the VF52.

Anyway, even if you weren't overboosting (exceeding target boost), I think your target boost is about 0.5 to 1.0 psi too high. At 5000 rpm, I would drop target boost by 0.5 psi and above 5600 rpm, I would drop it at least by 1.0 psi. That will also take care of your IDCs since it will drop your MAF to around 265 g/s.

You'll also need to work on your timing.

You're overboosting like crazy.

Don't forget that the VF52 comes with a small restrictor pill. I'm assuming that you are using the stock BCS with the pill that came with the VF52.

Anyway, even if you weren't overboosting (exceeding target boost), I think your target boost is about 0.5 to 1.0 psi too high. At 5000 rpm, I would drop target boost by 0.5 psi and above 5600 rpm, I would drop it at least by 1.0 psi. That will also take care of your IDCs since it will drop your MAF to around 265 g/s.

You'll also need to work on your timing.

Im not sure what pill im on. This is the tune that ive been running since i first got the car tuned by a somewhat local tuner who is pretty popular around this way.

I dont really know how to look at all this to change it. Just wanted to kind of see what the car was doing bc the tune was done when it was about 50F out and now its like 30 or below.

wow, in some case you are running >22.35psi the 'corrected' MRP parameter you selected caps at 22.35psi. Could you post a screen shot of the Boost target map? Surely he's not targeting that high. WGD% definitely need some work as well as the timings not super smooth but doesn't seem 'too' aggressive.

You already logged target boost. No need to log it again.

2400 rpm target = 20.25 psi

4400 rpm target = 20.25 psi

4643 rpm target = 20.13 psi

5209 rpm target = 19.48 psi

5699 rpm target = 17.75 psi

6146 rpm target = 16.38 psi

You're overboosting but the target is still too high. The VF52 uses the same compressor wheel as the VF39 so that should give you an indication.

You already logged target boost. No need to log it again.

2400 rpm target = 20.25 psi

4400 rpm target = 20.25 psi

4643 rpm target = 20.13 psi

5209 rpm target = 19.48 psi

5699 rpm target = 17.75 psi

6146 rpm target = 16.38 psi

You're overboosting but the target is still too high. The VF52 uses the same compressor wheel as the VF39 so that should give you an indication.

I must of missed it in log....:spin:

I generally tune STi's to peak at around 20-21psi, so I wouldn't consider the target too high but the problem lies with overboosting.

Are you running on a stock fuel setup? Looks like the safe fuel range runs out around 260/gs :(

I'm currently pushing 250+/gs on my stock turbo so I'm guessing I'll need a fuel upgrade to make a VF52 a worthy upgrade.

What's the bio pressure at your location? You should log A/F ratios too, that way we can see what A/F ratios you're getting at 105+ IDC. I wouldn't go over 95% personally.

I must of missed it in log....:spin:

I generally tune STi's to peak at around 20-21psi, so I wouldn't consider the target too high but the problem lies with overboosting.

I tune it to around 19.5 to 20 psi at sealevel for peak. I haven't really checked if more boost will be better. However, I cut boost at high rpm.

What do you run above 5000 rpm to redline?

When I increased boost above 5000 rpm, the car acceleration went down. This is with the VF52.

The OP will need to cut boost anyway to reduce his IDCs at high rpm.

So far I haven't went above 19.5psi on the VF52, however I'm running a Hallman PRO MBC for boost control.

I never figured out how you guys do that when you don't have a solid target boost number.

I can understand it if you have a 30R and want to target 22 psi to red-line, but it doesn't make sense when you target something like 20psi tapering to 15.

I never figured out how you guys do that when you don't have a solid target boost number.

I can understand it if you have a 30R and want to target 22 psi to red-line, but it doesn't make sense when you target something like 20psi tapering to 15.

The MBC actually just let the turbo take the natural max curve it can. I don't totally understand it either. My TD05H-20G on my 2.0L WRX held full 24psi to redline whereas a TD04 or VF39 or whatever smalller turbo will naturally taper to redline using a quality MBC.

The MBC actually just let the turbo take the natural max curve it can. I don't totally understand it either. My TD05H-20G on my 2.0L WRX held full 24psi to redline whereas a TD04 or VF39 or whatever smalller turbo will naturally taper to redline using a quality MBC.

So you are just running the turbo till it is choke flow limited. I think that is OK on small-medium sized turbos that are on real good pump gas, or on alky, but not so much on lesser quality fuels. I think that a psi or two less then choke flow will give better performance then.

It's about flow rates, if the turbo can't push enough air to sustain the amount of pressure targeted for the amount of air the engine ingests then you wont get the same boost at all rpms ranges.

VF-40 can produce around 13psi at 6500, but push 20+ at 4000rpms. Basicly running out of wind at high rpms.

VF-52 from the logs posted can still push 17+ psi at 6000+, but not sure how efficiently. Since the logs show fuel limitations issues and the target boost levels set to those parameters.

So you are just running the turbo till it is choke flow limited. I think that is OK on small-medium sized turbos that are on real good pump gas, or on alky, but not so much on lesser quality fuels. I think that a psi or two less then choke flow will give better performance then.

I've got good non-e10 93 so thats not an issue. How I done it in the past on my WRX I increased the boost on the turbo until I saw no significant gains OR till I was uncomfortable going higher with boost. With my WRX meth tune on the 20G I could have ran another 1psi or 2 comfortably above the pump gas pressure but I was going at it blind with the stock MAP sensor so it stayed at ~24psi on pump+meth & on pump only. I had a 3bar GM Map ready I just never got around to installing it before I sold the WRX.

did you guys take a look at the new log from this morning? I think i did a better job t logging for you guys just let me know.

The tuning gurus will chime in, but if I were you, I would not do any more WOT runs until you get your tuned ironed out. You are getting some knock from 4000 RPM up at WOT.

05Boost,

Your waste gate duty cycles are all off, you need to set them at a 10 point span between the high and lows. Plus you need to limit the max range of the duty cycles since you are still overboosting. Keep you turbo dynamics close to 0 if you are monitoring it.

You should also log your A/F ratio's, I bet your running lean and creating knock due to high boost and not enough fuel.

Archived