LegacyGT.com

General Advice for Turbo noob

New to the site, and to owning a turbo car. I just got my 2005 Legacy GT about 4 months ago and have about 40k on it, and totally stock as far as I know. Are there anything you guys can recommend through experience outside of the normal 45000 mile service?

I heard some mention of banjo bolts and wondered if there is anything else that's popped up that I missed? I'm thinking I should at least tune it up with some good plugs/wires, but they don't have that in service schedule until 60,000.

Also thinking of getting Cobb Tuning Access Port and Air intake package. I don't have money for stage 2 yet. Think that will give me the most bang for a buck for under a grand?

I know it's kinda lame questions, but any advice is appreciated.

-Dev

For under a grand you should easily be able to get a vendor to package the AP along with a shorty downpipe and then go straight to stage 2. I'd do that over getting an intake. The intake won't give you much more than increased sound until you get beyond Stage 2. Plus, you really should tune specifically for the intake, whereas with the downpipe you could just run an off-the-shelf stage 2 map.

That's my opinion anyway.

For under a grand you should easily be able to get a vendor to package the AP along with a shorty downpipe and then go straight to stage 2. I'd do that over getting an intake. The intake won't give you much more than increased sound until you get beyond Stage 2. Plus, you really should tune specifically for the intake, whereas with the downpipe you could just run an off-the-shelf stage 2 map.

That's my opinion anyway.

I second, on this car the intake doesnt do very much until your car is highly modified, and even then requires a special tune. If you need a new filter anyways AVO makes a nice drop in filter as does Blitz. DP and AP probably two best bang for buck performance mods for this car. And if you dont have emissions issues for really cheap you can just gut your stock DP (poke the cat out of it with a long screwdriver) and have stage II for just the price of an AP with stg II map

Thanks guys, I do appreciate your advice. After getting my meager tax return this year, I'm not sure if I can buy the AP until next year which really sucks. I will take your advice and invest in the downpipe when I do get one over the intake kit.

Would getting the Cobb or another performance exhaust system make any substantial difference, or is the gain all in the down pipe? I have to say the exhaust on this car does not do it justice, it is not throaty at all and sounds like an Accord, but if I won't get any substantial performance improvement, I'd rather invest elsewhere seeing Cobb wants like 1500$ just for exhaust parts, which seems really steep.

Also, since I can't really afford any major mods this year, I would still like to do a tune up with parts that I would not have to upgrade again when I do get the AP and/or downpipe next year. Would your recommend using the stock plugs/wires and intake filter or can you recommend some after market parts that would server me better after the upgrades are done?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if I can buy the AP until next year which really sucks. I will take your advice and invest in the downpipe when I do get one over the intake kit.

Would getting the Cobb or another performance exhaust system make any substantial difference, or is the gain almost all in the down pipe? I have to say the exhaust on this car does not do it justice, it might be the only thing I don't like about the car, which is a good thing.

It is not throaty at all and sounds more like an Accord than a Porsche. If I won't get any substantial performance improvement, I'd rather invest elsewhere seeing Cobb wants like 1500$ just for exhaust parts, which seems really steep. Just curious if you have any knowledge in this area.

Also, since I can't really afford any major mods this year, I would still like to do a tune up with parts that I would not have to upgrade again when I do get the AP and/or downpipe next year. Would your recommend using the stock plugs/wires and intake filter or can you recommend some after market parts that would server me better after the upgrades are done?

Thanks in advance.

grecod - welcome to the forum. Do you know if the 30k mile service was performed? If not, that is something you should do right away. If you are decent with a wrench the 30k service can be done by yourself. Check the classifieds for catback systems. You will not see power gains with a catback like you would with the AP & downpipe. Do those first.
335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

There is a difference between running an aftermarket CBE verses the OEM CBE even without a tune in the overall ease of drivability of the car especially if your 5MT equipped. I did this initially and liked the improvement. Later I got the accessport stage 1 and a TDC tune which greatly improved performance further.

Stage 1 is easy and you don't need to deal with vehicle inspection hassles with stage 2 if that is an issue in your state. If you go stage 2 don't forget to change out the up pipe to a catless one so it doesn't eventually break up and fry the turbo.

$1500 is too much for a CBE. I paid $600 for my Greddy SP2 CBE.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm kinda torn right now as far as spending the money. I know I at least want the Cobb AP (seems like everyone's choice) and a decent boost gauge. Possibly soon if I tap into my summer vacation funds.;)

Then I'll figure out what I'm going to do with the exhaust down the road. I think the Subie will kick some serious @ss with just the AP alone, but I love the idea of just replacing the up, down, mid and Y pipe when I get some more $$. That just might be perfect solution reading into what all of you said about exhaust.

The car was supposed to have the 30000 mile service done already, they showed me the service history at the dealer when I bought it and it was the only service even listed on record, I think the car was a low mileage lease trade in from the same dealer.

I took it to local place get the oil changed to synthetic at 37,000 and my air filter was clogged , so I guess the dealer where I bought the car with 33600 miles on it missed it at the 30000 mile service which makes me wonder what else they missed too. :cool:

I'm calling my local dealer and making an appointment to get the car serviced and checked next week, and then mods coming soon after assuming all is good with the service. Once I decide on boost gauge I should have a starting plan, thanks to you guys.

Do any of you know of the good boost gauge you'd recommend? I don't like the high $$$$ Sti gauge package at all. I just pm Ultimate CC in this forum, his stuff looked pretty decent.

Thanks guys, I do appreciate your advice. After getting my meager tax return this year, I'm not sure if I can buy the AP until next year which really sucks.

Don't forget about your economy stimulus rebate in May - will the extra $ help then? :rolleyes:

I would make sure to change the oil every 3000 miles. Also, buying used parts will save you a ton of money. I have seen some AP v.1 sell for very cheap used. Get a megan or used Downpipe for around 200 or less. I am sure you can go stage 2 for $500 or less if you look at the classifieds for a while. Use the other 500 on suspension and brakes.

I would make sure to change the oil every 3000 miles. Also, buying used parts will save you a ton of money. I have seen some AP v.1 sell for very cheap used. Get a megan or used Downpipe for around 200 or less. I am sure you can go stage 2 for $500 or less if you look at the classifieds for a while. Use the other 500 on suspension and brakes.

/\excellent points,,troll the clasifieds here,good deals pop up from time to time.;)

/\excellent points,,troll the clasifieds here,good deals pop up from time to time.;)

Agreed.

If you are willing to wait and spend some time there are some great deals on the member classifieds.

Good luck.

A few vendors sell Megan catback exhaust systems with both single and dual tip mufflers (duel tips are the best!) for around $650 shipped. Gives you a nice sound but not overpowering nor enough for a overzealous state trooper to take notice.

Technically you could go stage 2 for about 100 dollars, 30 in gaskets for when you pull the downpipe and gut the cat and 70 for the tractrix ecu cable, then do a opensource ecuflash. And for 100 dollars you can be making the same or better power than with a generic cobb tune.

here is an idea. Gut your uppipe and downpipe and pick up a used AP V1 for around 300-400 bucks.

Stage II is possible for less than 500 bucks. (You might not see the power gains of an aftermarket DP/UP combo but it will make a substantial difference.)

Archived