LegacyGT.com

HID lights: Help a noob to replace these..

Juicy555

So the person before my installed one of those aftermarket HID kits, and they look cool but im not too sure on how to replace them, I've only ever had to replace a regular one but im not to sure about these..

I went to autozone and he said they cost 100 bucks a peice? is that the true price of where can I find a cheaper one???

If anyone wants a picture i can take some, but it has an hid box thing tied down near each headlight and it looks like he spliced up the original assembly for that..

my question is:

Is there cheaper ones? Like not 100$?

Or can I convert it back anyhow?

Amazon, son! But yeah, be prepared to spend about $50ea for the good bulbs.

Here, you get what you pay for:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/6000K-Xenon-Replacement-Light-Bulbs/dp/B006G6VDQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393434234&sr=8-1&keywords=H1+HID+xenon]Amazon.com: H1 6000K HID Xenon Replacement Light Bulbs - 1 Pair: Car Electronics[/ame]

And this brand seems to be the most popular:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Xenon-Replacement-Bulbs-Colors/dp/B004YWPKS2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1393434279&sr=8-6&keywords=H1+HID+bulb]Amazon.com: Kensun HID Xenon Replacement Bulbs "All Sizes and Colors" - H1 - 6000k (In Original Kensun Box) - 2 Year Warranty: Automotive[/ame]

So basically you have a couple different HID options. The bulbs you have are "rebased" bulbs (an hid bulb put into a base that fits your headlight).

All you need to look for is an h1 HID bulb (or whatever your headlight low beam bulb is) in whatever color you want. 4300k is standard and produces the best light in my opinion, or a higher color temp like 6000k which would look more blue. Don't go over 6000k if you don't want crazy blue headlights. (Very distracting to other drivers.)

Also a 35watt bulb should do the trick unless you have higher powered ballasts. Take a look at the ballast (the driver or computer for the hid bulb) and see if it says anything on it. If you see "50 watt" anywhere, you need to look for a 50 watt bulb with the same combination.

Please be very careful when working with HID bulbs....make sure your headlights are off, and there is no power going to the bulbs.

For recommendations, I would go with theretrofitsource.com. Here is a link to what I would get . ( I have used this website for all of my hid stuff over the years. Great products, great service.)

Here are great bulbs for 35 watt ballasts and in my opinion worth the price.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/bulbs/morimoto-xb35-h1-bulbs.html#.Uw6HGJK9KSM

Got the bulbs from amazon today and they actually look just like the old ones. took about 5 minutes to put in the new one and it looks great! So glad i get to keep my hid's :D And didnt pay 100$ for em.

Got a little discouraged at first, but for whatever reason the power wires and ground ( red/black ) were inverted.

Archived