LegacyGT.com

05-06 LGT question...

MetalMatty

So I'm doing some very pre planned research.

As someone who has always wanted a Subaru I've come to know that the non turbo 2.5 eats head gaskets for breakfast.

I'm also aware that the STis turbo 2.5 does not.

From what I understand, the LGTs turbo 2.5 is different than the STi 2.5. Does the LGT 2.5T eat head gaskets too, or was that honor reserved for the N/A 2.5?

Also, aside from timing belt, what other maintenance should I look to have been completed on a 85-115k LGT manual?

Thanks,

Matt

The reason why the LGT / STi blocks aren't known for eating head gaskets is because they are not open deck blocks like the N/A's. The N/A blocks don't have any aluminum barring connecting the cylinders to the outside of the block, which allows some level of shift and flex which blows the head gaskets (this is the widely accepted theory, idk if it's proven). So the EJ25 short block (STi/LGT/WRX/FXT/OBXT) is semi closed, and allows for reinforcement of the cylinder walls from shifting or flexing.

I may be mistaken, but wasn't the HG issue with older gen subarus (2nd or 3rd gen) rather than 4th gens? I want to say I read that the Hg issue was resolved prior to the 4th gen release.

Tell that to my girlfriend with a 2005 2.5i with leaking head gaskets.

I may be mistaken, but wasn't the HG issue with older gen subarus (2nd or 3rd gen) rather than 4th gens? I want to say I read that the Hg issue was resolved prior to the 4th gen release.

The were notorious during those generations, but NA's are still prone to HG issues if it is not serviced in time.

The Subaru 2.5 head gasket issue was for non-turbo cars. And it could be any N/A 2.5 car 95-now. But I want to say I seem to remember that around 2011 they may have thought they declared victory on fixing the issue from the plant, once and for all.

And they don't eat head gaskets for breakfast, many cars get well over 150-170K miles without issue. But some fail under 100K. And I believe some models you could get the heads out in the car, others it is impossible and the motor needs to come out.

Yes the STi has a different turbo. Look at the 4th Gen forum and read up on the turbo wiki.

There are lots of things to look for other than just a simple timing belt. Search and browse. #1 is how the internals are doing (compression/leakdown) and #2 is the turbo. Either one failing very hard can cause the whole thing to become scrap metal, except for maybe being able to save the heads.

Archived