LegacyGT.com

Driveline Vibration at WOT in 5th Gear at Lower RPM

I noticed today that if I floor it in 5th gear at between 2500 and 3000 rpm I get some vibration through the driveline.

It doesn't happen at part throttle or any other throttle inputs in any other gears.

U-joints, maybe? Any ideas? It only does it for a moment at WOT.

Car specs: 2006 5MT, Stage II, 74K miles

Clutch slipping.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I noticed today that if I floor it in 5th gear at between 2500 and 3000 rpm I get some vibration through the driveline.

It doesn't happen at part throttle or any other throttle inputs in any other gears.

U-joints, maybe? Any ideas? It only does it for a moment at WOT.

i agree, most likely clutch slippage. I know that i can floor it in my car in the same criteria which is basically highway speed with no vibrations. a general guideline for checking clutch slippage is to drive slowly in a low gear and floor the throttle for a second or two. if the rpms go up quickly but road speed does not change, the clutch disc is worn out and is slipping.

perform the same test and if the result is she shakes and bucks like crazy, chances are the pressure plate is worn out and cannot hold the clutch fully engaged to the flywheel against the engines power. it essentially "hops" on and off the flywheel.

dont use any gear if the road speed will keep rpms below 2000, as previously mentioned this will lug the engine and cause more damage.

Clutch. What you're doing is an easy way to check that the clutch is fully engaged/not slipping. Depending on your driving habits it's either the clutch itself or the adjustment. I would play with the adjustment before jumping to replacing the clutch.

Or just don't do that. lol

Clutch. What you're doing is an easy way to check that the clutch is fully engaged/not slipping. Depending on your driving habits it's either the clutch itself or the adjustment. I would play with the adjustment before jumping to replacing the clutch.

Or just don't do that. lol

these clutches are adjustable? ive never seen a hydraulic clutch with an adjustment other than pedal freeplay... please enlighten me :)

not the clutch or and adjustment, there is no adjustment.. and if it dont happen in any other gear its not slipping..i have seen that is older subarus and its mostly the drive shaft..have had that on the newer ones yet..

Archived