LegacyGT.com

2012 Legacy GT Wagon

BXR4T

I don't really care about memory seats so much as a powered passenger seat, rear passenger air conditioning (and heating unlike the Tribeca), heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, and especially a power tailgate (for Outbacks, Legacy wagons, Foresters, and the next SUV/CUV Subaru makes).

The answer is simple, America is a lousy market for wagons and most people aren't prepared to pay what folks do in other countries for a better-equipped Legacy.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

Armchair quarterback here.. I find it interesting that they spend all the research, design, implementation and manufacture for such options overseas and then don't offer them here. At that point the R&D is a sunk cost. Can't imagine why they wouldn't keep a few dozen on the side for special order or even as a dealer-installed option like my rear seat map lights and subwoofer.

Unless the wiring is substantially different. Plenty of manufacturers reused the same wiring harnesses (Ford was well known for this) making a lot of electronic options plug-and-play.

edit- was talking about the memory seats, not more substantial options..

Armchair quarterback here.. I find it interesting that they spend all the research, design, implementation and manufacture for such options overseas and then don't offer them here. At that point the R&D is a sunk cost. Can't imagine why they wouldn't keep a few dozen on the side for special order or even as a dealer-installed option like my rear seat map lights and subwoofer.

Unless the wiring is substantially different. Plenty of manufacturers reused the same wiring harnesses (Ford was well known for this) making a lot of electronic options plug-and-play.

edit- was talking about the memory seats, not more substantial options..

Regulation is substantially different for most countries. Although, in theory the R&D of getting a reliable product designed and production ready is almost identical from market to market, it may be a quite different in reality. Conforming to regulation sometimes entails significant changes.

Also, I believe that only the USDM legacy is produced in Indiana. Different plants often means different production lines as well. Not all accessories may be designed for both assembly lines.

In Australia, the sedan doesn't come with splitfold rear seats... or have the option of electric fold mirrors, heated mirrors, heated seats etc etc that are available in Japan...

So different markets get screwed in different ways.

Though yes, the NA market is REALLY screwed. :) Memory seat, powered passenger seat, rear aircon all standard on the GT in Australia.

Interestingly, next year Subaru Australia is putting EyeSight as standard in the 3.6 Libs and Outbacks, but not the GTs... weird.

All of the USDM Legacies in the Limited trim have power driver and passenger seats (they are heated, too - would be neat if they were cooled, too, though)... memory would be nice, as would the power folding mirrors...

In Australia, the sedan doesn't come with splitfold rear seats... or have the option of electric fold mirrors, heated mirrors, heated seats etc etc that are available in Japan...

So different markets get screwed in different ways.

Though yes, the NA market is REALLY screwed. :) Memory seat, powered passenger seat, rear aircon all standard on the GT in Australia.

Interestingly, next year Subaru Australia is putting EyeSight as standard in the 3.6 Libs and Outbacks, but not the GTs... weird.

Europe stock: heated + electric fold mirrors, heated + powered driver seats (but no memory, and passenger seats' regulation is all manual)

NO rear A/C, not even an air diffuser or somthing similar.

Plus the people from Subaru Europe told me that the EyeSight module is tuned for Japanese street signs, so no way to have that available over here.

I wonder how "similar" Australian road signs are to Japanese ones ???

Subaru product policy ? :iam:

What a shame :spin::spin: :mad::mad: !!

Looking at this Taiwanese version, in fact it resembles "our" Sport/ Trend version, only available with the 2.0 D Diesel engine (150 Hp) - >18" alloy wheels, "sport" bumper with fog's, sunroof.

But we lack SI Drive, rear view camera, USB Port, and the Sound/Navi system is different, too.

And "our" mirrors are different, so in the end they are like this:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7528/subarulegacywagonn.jpghttp://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6043/p1000468.jpg

Subaru should make the "plug & play" items more readily available through dealers, such as the blacked out headlights. Dealers could totally capatilize on extra labor income for these easy upgrades. Sure lots of people can do their own installs and customization, but realistically that's a pretty small portion of the buying public.

I also understand that there are several plants, but wouldn't it be cost effective to make one wiring harness for the world, and simply cap off the unused portions at the factory? That way, any electronic option available in the ROW could easily be installed on NA cars. . .

Subaru should make the "plug & play" items more readily available through dealers, such as the blacked out headlights. Dealers could totally capatilize on extra labor income for these easy upgrades. Sure lots of people can do their own installs and customization, but realistically that's a pretty small portion of the buying public.

I also understand that there are several plants, but wouldn't it be cost effective to make one wiring harness for the world, and simply cap off the unused portions at the factory? That way, any electronic option available in the ROW could easily be installed on NA cars. . .

Too bad good sensible ideas don't make it past the bean counters.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

i'm just jealous they all have headlight washers...

The headlight washers (+ automatic height adjustment) are legally compulsory here in case You have HID's, in order not to blind oncoming traffic.

In case of Halogen lamps there is a manual height adjustment (and without a washer unit usually).

• 4 weeks later...
awful. Why cant they just put out a diesel already?

Maybe they will later when they have the AT gearbox combined with the diesel. Right now you can only get diesel and 6-speed manual in Europe. And to sell cars in volume in the US you need an AT gearbox.

Right now it looks like it may be available in a year with a CVT gearbox here.

453747.png

awful. Why cant they just put out a diesel already?

:yeahthat:

Previous car was a TDI Jetta wagon and nothing beat driving from Rochester NY to Portland ME (500 mi. door to door) and still having a 1/4 tank of fuel...

would love a Legacy GT deisel or a VW TDI 4-Motion - wagon for both of course:)

Archived