LegacyGT.com

Not a happy camper right now....

So this past weekend I treated my 05LGT to a brake job... nicely painted calipers, new pads & new rotors... https://www.dropbox.com/sc/o9hzeu3gsu3ibib/AADf8xNOJT7nCDm8s4KWgidya

All is well with that.. but yesterday she decided to do this to me... https://www.dropbox.com/sc/v79a28js3b58j17/AACBnTtDAaeJVruR2SOOUyQ2a

I feel so betrayed! The only reason why this isnt a total shitshow for me is I need my timing belt done anyway... but she didnt have to leave me standing on the side of the road in 90 degree heat. Now im stuck driving my wifes 02 elantra shitbox till it gets fixed.

Anybody know how bad it would be to drive around with a hole in the timing cover like that? If I just cut that belt, would I be ok driving it to a shop? I have a semi-local shop I plan on using if I have to tow it, or my regular shop if I can drive it like 40 miles. COuld I just cover it with some ductTape(hellyeah) to get me by?

Thanks for lookin..

-Jon:spin:

Did the whole crank pulley fail?

I personally wouldn't drive that, not worth the risk in case something is borked in your timing setup.

I have to take a closer look at that area.. snapped these pics as I was leaving for work this morning. Yeah I know there is probably some debris from the cover in there now... I wouldn't want to risk it to save a few bucks on a tow.

Just remember it could have been ALOT worse. Timing belt could have failed and caused massive amounts of internal damage. I'd much rather an accessory belt fail than my t-belt.

Like you said, at least you were near tbelt service interval anyways. No real harm done except it's bad timing.

This is one of those times whe na AAA membership pay's for itself. I have 100 mile towing. There are other benifits too, there BofA card gives me cash back, which more then covers the membership fee.

Sorry I can't see the pictures here at work.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FYI I've got 200 mile tow with Gieco no charge.

I'd tow, and get fixed. While it could have been much worse I've found things just keep going wrong with my LGT. It's such a money pit it's not funny anymore.

Looks like a classic crank pulley failure. Mine did a similar thing. I'm still driving around with no a/c a few years later because I have no desire to replace the compressor, I hardly used the a/c to begin with.

Looks like a classic crank pulley failure. Mine did a similar thing. I'm still driving around with no a/c a few years later because I have no desire to replace the compressor, I hardly used the a/c to begin with.

I'd die without AC and 90+ days.

I'd die without AC and 90+ days.

But I thought "its a dry heat" LOL

You light weights. Why back in my day, I didn't have a car with AC till 1985. Spent the late 70's in the high desert of CA.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You light weights. Why back in my day, I didn't have a car with AC till 1985. Spent the late 70's in the high desert of CA.

It is! But I tell you black leather gets hot.

Oh, I recall some hot days without AC and leaving the car soaking wet from sweat. Thank God for AC!

:lol: You guys are silly, it gets above 100* for 2 months here. I had a car during the '90s that didn't have no A/C, I drove that car for 10 years before buying my 1st Subi with A/C in 2001. It's nice to have to have, but it's not a necessity.
My wife's balls are delicious.

:lol: You guys are silly, it gets above 100* for 2 months here. I had a car during the '90s that didn't have no A/C, I drove that car for 10 years before buying my 1st Subi with A/C in 2001. It's nice to have to have, but it's not a necessity.

again, dry heat. :rolleyes:

You CA boy's don't know humidity. I would hate to live in the south east, it's bad enough here in New England.

:hide:

My family of 5 did a trip to Florida (west coast) from Ontario (a couple of hours NE of Detroit), AUGUST of 1986, no AC in our '79 Dodge Aspen. We had an extra 12v plugin fan that sat on the dash - until the dash MELTED in the heat and started to sag. Good Times :lol:

You guys are all crazy. If it gets above 85 I am dying.

Did you grow up in the Bay Area? My wife, born and raised here, can't take above mid-80s (her mother, who has lived here all her life is the same way), nor below about 60.. She's a self-confessed weather wimp.

Growing up near Detroit (Kitchener, Ontario), I have memories of:

-a couple of weeks almost every summer of 95+ with 9x% humidity (not as bad as say Indiana, but not THAT far off).

-at least every 3rd winter a week or two of weather below 0F, with a ton of car batteries dying. Had it happen to me once at work, had to wait around an hour for my dad to come give me a boost late at night around -20F (-30C), with just jeans, shirt and a medium jacket.. Got a little cold, yo :lol:

Now that I've lived in the Bay Area for almost 10 years, my body has largely adapted. I can still wear shorts in 40 degree weather and be ok, and not faint in 100+, but, it's more taxing than it used to be. Then again, I'm into my mid-40s now, so that probably also has something to do with it.

I grew up SoCal - so I used to be ok with dry heat. But been in San Luis Obispo for 4 and the Bay area for 6. All heat tolerance has left me.

Had to wear a tux for a wedding in Chico the other weekend it was 104. I bought cold packs and shoved them down my shirt so I could handle it.

The same thing just happened to me on Wednesday, but the damage was not nearly as bad. I have a small slit in the timing cover on the left side of the crank pulley, and the AC compressor wiring harness has wee little groove taken out. I'm hoping its not dead.

Got a Grimmspeed black crank pulley that I'm installing tomorrow night. Good luck with everything!

Same thing happened to me a few years back. This linked thread below will help get your AC back online for cheap, with a salvage compressor and a few tools. The stealership denies this repair is possible but it worked for me. I bought a new Perrin pulley and swapped the compressor clutch which includes the electrical connector, no problem. Good luck.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/c-compressor-clutch-replacement-diy-walkthrough-149236.html

I didnt get a chance to see if it was my crank pulley or not that caused this.. if it is Im going to be even more annoyed.

Last year I had my car in the shop for a bunch of work... one thing I requested was a new OEM crank pulley installed because mine was looking pretty chewed up. The shop assured me that 'they all look like that' and not to touch it. :(

Going to try to get it to the shop tomorrow or Monday to see what the damage tally is. I really hope it didnt do more damage that I can see. I just spent 800 bucks on suspension and another 500 on new brakes... don't got the cash for this right now.

My service truck (03 Isuzu NPR) has no AC. . . it's 90deg/70% humidity today. Yes, it sucks, but I remind myself that our deployed forces have to deal with that while covered head to toe and in kevlar in triple digit heat. . . Pretty sure (properly uparmored) humvee windows don't roll down, either.

If the crank pulley has failed, don't drive it. You can get away without running the alt/PS belt for a short period of time, but not having a functional harmonic balancer is bad news. Tow it or fix it where it sits.

Aftermarket crank pulleys are pretty reasonable. . . Perrin/Grimmspeed, under $150 all day long.

The crank pulley on these motors are just that, a pulley. No harmonic balancing is happening with it. But I agree don't drive with a failed pulley, unless you want the outer ring to fly around your engine bay wreaking havoc.

Archived