LegacyGT.com

Engine Cover On or Off?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most take it off to 'be different' or because they have a different intercooler or turbo set up.

In my opinion the boxer engine itself is not a very pretty engine in the first place. I understand why Subaru chose to try and cover up the engine on the LGT as they wanted the bay to look more 'upscale'.

Some think it's an important part of the airflow dynamics, others realize it won't make a huge difference either way.

I believe it will allow for a slightly higher air pressure over the intercooler but I don't believe it will make much difference.

All my pop-its holding the cover on broke, and I didn't much care for it flapping around in the engine bay, so now it is decorating the wall of my garage.

my count:

-1 missing completely

-1 very broken and can't even really hold itself in the hole, much less the cover on the engine

-2 partially/mostly broken.

I hate those effing clips.

Keeping it on will cause a nice seal between the intercooler and the hood scoop, resulting in direct channeling of the air flow on to the TMIC.

But I'm sure everyone knew that already.

I'd be scared to ask Subaru what they charge for replacements.:lol:

Your local auto zone should sell bags of various sized pop-its and grommets for cheap.

Hell, I just saw a bag for sale the other day from my local Canadian Tire. If we have it for sale, lord knows the USA can get something like it.

Took my cover off 6 years ago when I took it off the first time and lost one of the poppit crap things. It's been off ever since, 129,500 miles now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You can buy a whole bag of ones that look just like the stockers for a few bucks at AutoZone.

Mine is going back on once I modify it a bit. I'm cutting off the TMIC section of it and may have to trim some for the intake but it should go back on in some fashion.

You honestly don't even need pop-its or anything else to secure the engine cover. Just line it up right and close the hood, it's not going anywhere once the hood is down.

I think the issue here is rattling, though.

Mine is on but it is trimmed to fit the AVO intercooler and the extra hoses for the air/oil separator. To make a tight seal around the intercooler, I used JB weld to glue on open cell foam rubber insulation. Then I had to glue a strip of aluminum (painted black to match) to the top back part so the baffle would connect with it and not touch the intercooler directly. Otherwise the baffle would block off the last 2 rows of the intercooler.

Here is the picture:http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/crawford-air-oil-separator-ver-2-133179.html?t=133179

Archived