LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

I followed Jazzy's method of zip-tieing it to the radios power cord. I cinched it down tight and don't expect it to allow the jack to disconnecct. I used a 3' male 1/8" to RCA and they RCA's ended up just in front of the shifter. 3' seems like the perfect length to gain access if you want to change your cables down the line. This was pure dumb luck on my part.

I had planned on installing the jack in the center armrest as well but found the plastic was likely to be too thick for the jack I had from RS. Granted this was just my best guess but I didn't want to drill holes to find out later it wasn't going to work. I don't have the tools to thin out the plastic if it needed it. The other issue I ran into was space. Make sure you consider location before soldering the jack. Both of mine have the cable parallel to the jack. Orienting the cable 90 degrees may allow for different set ups.

Can you tell I didn't read the instructions yet? I didn't know about Jazzy's zip-tie method.

Here's the panel mount I was thinking about - http://www.datapro.net/products/1224.html

I've got to believe the plastic of the armrest floor is thin enough for that.

I forgot one detail for my "clean" install. The gf filter - there's a 3.5M to 3.5F at crutchfield. too bad that makes another pair of connections.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Jazzy, the eagle has landed. I'm impressed with the quality of the board. Very professional.

I have a question though. I'm thinking of adding a switch to it. I want to add a toggle switch on a wire that would allow me to switch between the aux signal and the CD changer signal. Any thoughts on this? Doable? If you think I'm crazy, I'll just stick with the silent CD.

Can you tell I didn't read the instructions yet? I didn't know about Jazzy's zip-tie method.

Here's the panel mount I was thinking about - http://www.datapro.net/products/1224.html

I've got to believe the plastic of the armrest floor is thin enough for that.

I forgot one detail for my "clean" install. The gf filter - there's a 3.5M to 3.5F at crutchfield. too bad that makes another pair of connections.

That cable looks perfect, wish I had found it before my install. The threaded depth doesn't look much different than the one I used http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103451&cp=&kw=panel+jack&parentPage=search . I could be wrong but I firmly suggest pulling the center console out (easy) and see what you have to work with. I had lots of ideas that got nixed once I saw what I had to work with. My original plans were to put a jack in the upper cubby but there was too much crap around the sides and I didn't want to put it all the way in the back.

Also, be careful when tightening the nut on the jack. I pulled one out and had to solder a new one. Since you're looking at a pre-fabed cable it'll be a more expensive and less convenient. Food for thought.

Good Luck and post pics when done.

Ross

Hey Jazzy, the eagle has landed. I'm impressed with the quality of the board. Very professional.

I have a question though. I'm thinking of adding a switch to it. I want to add a toggle switch on a wire that would allow me to switch between the aux signal and the CD changer signal. Any thoughts on this? Doable? If you think I'm crazy, I'll just stick with the silent CD.

I don't think you're crazy. The "other" effort to design a board was going to use this method, but it would be very difficult to add it to mine now...I would just sick with the silent CD.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I got the head unit half way out but I can't figure out how to disconnect the antenna. It's the big blue cable on the bottom left, right? I can see how the insulation of the cable is stripped as it enters the stereo just past the plastic wire guide/clip. It's seriously connected, and there's no obvious way to pull it out. I can't reach the other side of it -- it goes off deep into the dash toward the steering wheel. As long as it's connected I can't get the radio out more than a couple inches.

Jazzy's instructions made it sound so simple. I guess I'm giving up and putting it back together. Bummer.

Now my jazzy / iPod / XM / switcher is really finished!

iPod nano and Roday XT sources are switched to jazzy board via RCA A/B switch located in the center console. Fashioned a cover to hide the switcher and chargers out of masonite. Covered with suede and ghettoed chrome buttons on to the hacked switcher stalks for push button switching from ipod to XM. Sure beats having to disconnect / reconnect mini plugs. Still have my phone charger hanging out to charge phone in cup holder bin.

Nano and Roady mounted on Kuda base.

Sounds great thanks to Jazzy!!!!

DSC00127.jpg.f9e54752b70b372475c62fbbdc19b3d2.jpg

DSC00138.jpg.dc672164f8d8e891ce9d72618053afdf.jpg

DSC00142.jpg.63192d43d3063274fb078811cd4482b8.jpg

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

Now my jazzy / iPod / XM / switcher is really finished!

iPod nano and Roday XT sources are switched to jazzy board via RCA A/B switch located in the center console. Fashioned a cover to hide the switcher and chargers out of masonite. Covered with suede and ghettoed chrome buttons on to the hacked switcher stalks for push button switching from ipod to XM. Sure beats having to disconnect / reconnect mini plugs. Still have my phone charger hanging out to charge phone in cup holder bin.

Nano and Roady mounted on Kuda base.

Sounds great thanks to Jazzy!!!!

What'd you do to install the switch?

Looks good

What'd you do to install the switch?

Looks good

Thanks. Used an old RCA switcher that I had lying around. Used heavy duty velcro to attach switcher to underside of masonite board. It's on there solid. Drilled 2 holes to allow access to switch stalks. Fashioned the push buttons from chrome buttons I found in my shop and fixed them to the stalks. Works great.

Below is a pic of the switcher I used.... I looked high and low for a new switcher to use but there were not many simple / cheap solutions out there short of making something myself - lucky I came across this little doo-dad.

I did find at radio shack a 2 way audio switch box designed to allow push button switching between sources for your home PC like MP3, CD, etc. That'll work too and it should be easy enough to hack it to get a more custom look.

DSC00131.JPG.f0c9064ee0aa6b566da3be46e60c281a.JPG

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

This is the 1CD head unit by the way. So it may be somewhat different from the 6CD variety I suppose. But I wouldn't guess the cables on the back are that different.

Yeah it's a blue cable alright. I followed it back and couldn't reach the end of it. I pulled a bit to see if I could get some slack and maybe find a connector but it wouldn't budge. It's on the bottom of the unit on the extreme left (driver's side). I don't have a subwoofer. Could it be a subwoofer cable?

I had the XM radio professionally installed, but mainly just for the XM antenna (which they hid inside the fin over the rear lift gate -- totally invisible) and the XM commander mounting in the upper cubby. It's connected with wireless FM. I decided the sound quality wasn't good enough. So I'm trying to fix that bit of it, which I figured I was up to by myselft. So I guess it's possible that the blue cable is from the installer guys -- seems doubtful though.

If I get time to open it up again I'll try to take a picture.

This is the 1CD head unit by the way. So it may be somewhat different from the 6CD variety I suppose. But I wouldn't guess the cables on the back are that different.

Yeah it's a blue cable alright. I followed it back and couldn't reach the end of it. I pulled a bit to see if I could get some slack and maybe find a connector but it wouldn't budge. It's on the bottom of the unit on the extreme left (driver's side). I don't have a subwoofer. Could it be a subwoofer cable?

I had the XM radio professionally installed, but mainly just for the XM antenna (which they hid inside the fin over the rear lift gate -- totally invisible) and the XM commander mounting in the upper cubby. It's connected with wireless FM. I decided the sound quality wasn't good enough. So I'm trying to fix that bit of it, which I figured I was up to by myselft. So I guess it's possible that the blue cable is from the installer guys -- seems doubtful though.

If I get time to open it up again I'll try to take a picture.

I'm stuck in the same place with the 1CD HU -- I can't pull the stereo out! BTW, this is a stock unit -- no modifications. I was waiting for someone to post results on the installation for 1CD HU, but got impatient...

The blue cable is a thick cable (about a quarter inch thick) and comes right out from behind the HVAC knob. I've taken some photos -- but it's a very tight spot and hard to get good lighting let alone the camera in there!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b11/clothbutt/subaru004.jpg

The blue cable in question comes out from behind the HVAC temperature control knob (lower left hand side of unit, partially obscured by the steering wheel.) The little blue cable you see in this image is not the blue cable in question.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b11/clothbutt/?action=view&current=subaru012.jpg

Here's a shot from below. You can't clearly see the blue wire in this shot due to bad lighting. No, it's not the purple wire. However, if you look directly left of the vertical purple wire, you'll see a hint of the blue wire.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b11/clothbutt/?action=view&current=subaru015.jpg

And here's a clearer shot of the blue wire.

Anyone have any idea how to disconnect this thing?

All i know is that some of these cables come of easy, and others only with quite a bit of work. Most (if not all?) have a "tab" that must be pressed to release them, some times you have to press some tabs much more than others.

EDIT:

--I just noticed that you dont have auto climate control on your car, so that might be the reason that few people recognize your blue cable, cuz most of us have the auto HVAC system. --

Jazzy, will the mod even work on thr 1CD HU?

Folks,

Finally got the hack installed and working after 6 hours (with dinner and motherly duties in between...)

For those of you trying to install on the 1CD HU w/Manual HVAC, leave the HVAC controls (lower white section attached to the stereo) in the vehicle. Easiest way to do this is to first remove the right bracket on the unit. Jazzy's got a picture of this bracket under the "Disassemble Factory Stereo" section of the docs. 4 screws, take 'em out, take off the bracket. I'd go ahead and take off the hazard light at this point as well (2 screws.) If I recall correctly, there are a couple of screws on the side holding the white plastic HVAC controls to the HU. Unscrew those and pop out the tabs on both sides -- white section should come loose and you can then pull out the HU.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b11/clothbutt/subaru023.jpg

There you go -- even a girl can do it.

Thanks Jazzy -- it sounds great!

n8gray has an awesome photo blog about doing the install - his post is here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=321634#post321634

I just thought it would be good to remind people it's there. I'll be studying it before I do my install.

Yeah. Great site, instructions and photos! This is one of the sites I'd scoured before working on the mod. Unfortunately, didn't cover the problem I ran into with the manual HVAC configuration.

Folks,

Finally got the hack installed and working after 6 hours (with dinner and motherly duties in between...)

There you go -- even a girl can do it.

Thanks Jazzy -- it sounds great!

Excellent job sfsubie! Sorry I wasn't able to offer any insights. I've been down and out with the flu lately, but I wouldn't have been much help anyway since I've never actually seen/used a single CD setup. Thanks a ton for following up with us all and the good pictures. I'm sure this will help others stumped by the same issues and I'm glad you're happy with how it works now that you've got it all squared away.

abroadst - does sfsubie's posts help fill in the gaps for you or are you still having troubles? I'll help any way I can. Something else that might help manual climate control folks is the Metra instructions for replacing the faceplate with their kit. Someone scanned the manual and posted it here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20515&page=2

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

After doing my install yesterday, last evening I was reviewing some photos I took during the process and realized I might have forgotten to reconnect the single black wire in this photo:

http://www.csail.mit.edu/~ilh/pics/IMG_1393.jpg

Presumably it is a ground given it is black and it is the only wire on that small connector. Anybody know what it is or how important it is?

Everything sounds fine, I believe the HVAC system is operational, and I really don't want to go back in there if I don't need to. However, this is just the kind of thing that will gnaw at me if I don't go in to make sure.

--Lee