LegacyGT.com

Hows everyones ipods/iphones behave with touchscreen stock radio?

Guys, I'm about 2 seconds from yanking the stereo out of my 2012 legacy, and smashing it into a thousand tiny little pieces. THEN! Grinding it into a fine powder. So no one has to ever even accidentally deal with this frustration!

I have the non touch stock screen radio in my legacy. Little 2 or 3 line florescent display.

Couple months back, it just up and quit reading my iPhone over USB cable. Some months went by, and i forgot, tried it, and it worked again. It'll read the iphone, the iphone starts playing, but the counter never increments and no audio is ever heard. Steering wheel controls still affect it just fine. I can skip tracks and adjust volume.

Well it quit working again about 2 weeks ago. Tried pulling the fuse, disconnecting the battery..nothin...but it will read a thumb drive.

Tried multiple phones/iPods/cords, it just hates apple. I use my iPhone+GPS for work all the time, so its nice to hear the voice come through the stereo.

Today i felt ambitious, and paired it via bluetooth. Works! Sweet! Worked all day. Stopped to get gas..and..well, no matter what i do it says "No device" on Bluetooth. The iPhone sees the car, and just says "Connection error" I've deleted the phone and re-paired it.

Guess what? Even says "No Device" when i select "Aux" input! Didnt know that was even an option!

DONE! Done.

I do see the OEM subie touchscreen radios on ebay for relatively cheap. Did those ever have iPod/iPhone issues? Thinking of grabbing one of those. Simply because in theory, i should just be able to pull out the old, drop in the new and not have to spend time soldering up a harness or rewiring anything.

Past that, i might just grab one of those droid based ones and install that. Given it costs 4-5x more, im curious what everyones experiences with the touch screen stock radios is.

Thanks guys!

I have the same issues with mine. I have a4th gen touchscreen ipod mini and 80% of the time it works fine, otherwise I get a "no device connected" message or "Reconnect iPod" message. Sometimes if I reset the iPod it will start working again, definitely not always that lucky. Sometimes I swear it's the song itself, so I'm not sure if this radio is just super sensitive, poorly made, or just not compatible with any apple product made after it was made.

I haven't had much success in making it work although I've never checked to see if there are firmware updates to help

The base 2.5i didn't have the Bluetooth, so I am guessing you have the premium level non HK Audio radio for 2012. I have the premium level non HK radio with a built in Bluetooth. Once I figured out how it worked, it has work well with the my iphone4 and iphone6 and my wife iphone 5s.

The radio will play my iphone through the USB radio setting, if I turn off the Bluetooth on my phone (it has better audio this way).

The radio will play 5 second of audio on the USB radio setting if I have the blue tooth on, but I need to use the Bluetooth audio setting for it to play.

The Aux input would needs a physical wire between the head phone jack and the jack port in the center console for that to work.

If I was to change my settings (ie turn Bluetooth on after the radio was turned on, I would need to turn my radio off and on to re-sync). Their was one guy on this forum that had issue with his radio/bluetooth because it seemed like his daughter had sync'd her phone, so he had random issues with his car radio was in the driveway at his house, because it was syncing to her phone in the house, so keep that in mind if you have other phone sync to your car.

yeah i know the aux cable would need to be connected, but, any time ive used the AUX and had nothing connected, it just says "Aux" it doesnt care if one is connected or not. Suddently now it does? I didnt know the head unit got feedback from the aux jack plug.

This morning? Bluetooth worked fine. UGH!

You guys have the simple radio? NOT the touchscreen one?

Archived