LegacyGT.com

Load leveling/stiffening for 2005 Legacy GT MT wagon

rayu

I am picking up my 2005 Legacy GT limited MT wagon (18,000 miles, Atlantic Blue Pearl, tinted windows, short-shift; $21,800) tomorrow. It was the only one I could find in New England. On of the things I will be doing with the wagon, a replacement for my 99 Passat 1.8T MT wagon with 153,000 miles, is towing. On the Passat I fitted a sweet (but very expensive) pair of Nivomat load leveling rear shocks. No matter what, from solo Sunday rides to 4 people, luggage, 4 bikes, and boat in tow, a nice level ride.

What are my options for my new Subaru? I note that in one thread the poster noted that towing his two motorcycle trailer did put his headlights skyward. To my knowledge, Nivomats are unavailable. It is my understanding that load leveling on the Legacy/Outback is fitted on the Japanese market vehicles. What system do they use? Is it available in any way over here? Would adjustable (coilover?) shocks be the way to go? If so, how hard are they to adjust? Should I just stiffen the springs?

As a new Legacy GT owner, any help would be greatly appreciated.

rayu - In regards to your question; there's nothing specifically available to the N. American market for automatic load levelling. However for our Sport Spec springs; we do offer a HD version of our rear springs. They are designed for those with the OBXT or those who carry alot of equipment in their boot/trunk consistently.

iON: Are the heavy duty rear sport spec springs for the Legacy GT MT progressive? Do they lower or raise ride height? Here in New England with the terrible roads I am not that interested in decreasing suspension travel. Do they require new matched front springs or can they be used with the stock fronts? Will they work OK with the stock struts?

iON: Are the heavy duty rear sport spec springs for the Legacy GT MT progressive? Do they lower or raise ride height? Here in New England with the terrible roads I am not that interested in decreasing suspension travel. Do they require new matched front springs or can they be used with the stock fronts? Will they work OK with the stock struts?

we will just have to wait until somebody makes them.:icon_conf I.E. air shocks

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I finally got around to adding my long-overdue rear trailer hitch to my LGT Ltd 5MT Wagon (ordered the Subaru OB one) just before the Memorial Day weekend.

I have an LGA www.letsgoaero.com AT Sport Trailer that weighs 275 lbs dry (seems lighter than that but that's what the specs say) and I load it with about 400-500 lbs of stuff. Include three full coolers inside (seats folded) and the dog behind the cargo separator and a 16 CU FT Yakima box on top (with ~100 lbs in it) and the car doesn't drop much at all.

Car rides flat and level and had no bounce per se, but the issue is how low the trailer hitch is, relative to the ground and it will "drag" occasionally.

http://www.letsgoaero.com/upload/HSPT_PT_CruiseDriveway_Best.jpg

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I sense some sort of suspension fetish going on here, how many sets do you have already ? :lol:

stock and what's on the car. :lol: with 100lbs of stereo gear hanging over the rear axle, the rear sits a bot lower than I'd like.

yeah...I'll try those first for $12 before swapping out springs. ;) Given the purchase of a wagon over a sedan, I'd like 100% of the usability of hauling mulch, dirt, beer, etc :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Some follow-up info. Jack at Ion has given me the following info:

-Heavy duty rear (HD) springs are linear, not progressive.

-Unloaded ride height at the rear will be slighly increased.

-Cost is $175 plus shipping.

-Springs are not in stock but Ion expects a production run soon.

-Spring rate is higher than USDM or JDM spec-B springs.

-Wagon and sedan springs, while slightly different, can be physically interchanged.

Archived