LegacyGT.com

scooby vs. saab

hey all..

i have been deciding on getting a legacy gt limited for quite sometime now and i've been seeing these saab aero 9-6s popping up in my area and they quite appealed to me. i checked them out on the site and they seem decent with a decent amount of power (the higher model is a v6 turbo?)

of course it would come down to test driving in the end but i was wondering what some current legacy owners (or not) thought of these cars?

looking forward to hearing from you!

I used to like Saab until GM bought them up years ago. Now a Saab can be a Malibu or Malibu Max. What is up with that???? Subarus are still only Subarus except the 9-2x Saabaru. Volvos are the same way when Ford took them over. I like the old Saabs and Volvos because none of the Big 3 messed them up. There will be no Pontiac Subaru Bonnevilles anytime soon, thank god. Legacy rules.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

I am so confused. I think this below article is not about the same 9-6 that cobra commander is talking about, (it is from march 2005)but do we know if this is going to happen????????????????????? what does the 9-6 look like that cobra commander is talking about.

Some more guff on the 9-6x

A little more came to light on the forthcoming mostly-Saab SUV, the 9-6x.

The full monty, as found at Autotrend:

Subaru announced the name for its 2006 seven-passenger crossover SUV at the Miami motor show: B9X. The name seems designed to create confusion with the Subie's platform sibling, Saab's 2007 9-6x, which will bow as a concept this spring at the New York show. And Subaru plans to use the B9X to compete with the Acura MDX and Volvo XC90, taking the brand upmarket--into Saab territory.

But there are differences: Besides exclusive sheetmetal and a mostly exclusive interior, the 9-6x will be available only with two rows of seats, because Saab doesn't want to put a third row of passengers in its rear crumple zone. Most similarities are under the skin. The Saab 9-6x will have Subaru's 245-horsepower, 3.0-liter flat six and its Symmetrical all-wheel-drive system. And that new Subaru face, described as "a central intake flanked by two wings" is the reason for the name B9X, the Japanese automaker says. Subaru first showed the design theme on its 2003 Geneva B11S show car, then on the B9SC and R1e Detroit concepts, and "B9X" is similar to those names. The winged grille is meant to reflect Subaru's legacy as an aircraft manufacturer--just like Saab

This is not my beautiful car.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.bsauto.cz/saab/files/93_combi_7-c2ac5f1efced681e31ccaf665aab015a.jpg

I HATE THE INTERIOR! I hate it that the interior being like cheap german cars or american cars!!! the cheap feel buttons, everything!!! like i said b4, i would choose a Japanese car over any other brand any day!

Buttom point is Legacy is just a so much more refine car... though i have a N/A but it's all around very good car in its class and price! I loooove my Legacy!

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

The generic. lowest common denominator, GM thing turns me off to new SAABs.

Most cars sold in Sweden, Norway, Finland are 2WD. Hey, I would not give up my AWD, unless my car was never leaving Pasadena-Neport Beach runs, but it is interesting that those Vikings handle their 2WD cars like a kid with a sled. A winter cab ride from the airport in any of those countries gets you pumped.

The above pic is from a 9-3 sport-combi. I have driven one, and it's put together solidly.

I like that interior, I have always been partial to interiors with many features/buttons. THose who get confused by the many buttons should take two geritols and go drive a crown vic.

yeah no AWD, but at 2.8l and only 9psi, theres lots of room there, plus 6 gears instead of five.

The rear of the wagon looks much better than my leggy did IMHO

but they are "bjorn*" from jets, baby**

*disclaimer #1

(bjorn shoes have no affiliation with saab, general motors, or swedish laborers, they are now made in china with slave laborers with all profits going to the shareholders in sweden.

**disclaimer #2

(saab nor general motors have any affiliation with jets whatsoever)

I am so confused. I think this below article is not about the same 9-6 that cobra commander is talking about, (it is from march 2005)but do we know if this is going to happen????????????????????? what does the 9-6 look like that cobra commander is talking about.

The 9-6X project (at least the Subaru collaboration) was canceled when GM sold their share in FHI. Saab does sell a 9-7X which is a Chevy Trailblazer with Saab sheetmetal.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

When I was shopping for a car, the only two cars that made my final list were the LegacyGT and the 9-3 Aero. They were the only two cars that filled my car expectations. I tested both of them in same day and both of them are really good. The Aero feels more expensive, and it is, just not BMW expensive. It feels very solid and well put together. It's performance and handling it's great for being a FWD car. You just need to know how to drive one. The only thing I didn't like about the Aero was the steering wheel with those white plastic inserts. They're not very comfortable, unlike the LGT one, but seats were much better than the LGT seats. Overall, if I could, I get one of each. So far, I got the Legacy and love it. Specially since I got it for $5000 less than the pricing I got for the Aero.

When I was shopping for a car, the only two cars that made my final list were the LegacyGT and the 9-3 Aero. They were the only two cars that filled my car expectations. I tested both of them in same day and both of them are really good. The Aero feels more expensive, and it is, just not BMW expensive. It feels very solid and well put together. It's performance and handling it's great for being a FWD car. You just need to know how to drive one. The only thing I didn't like about the Aero was the steering wheel with those white plastic inserts. They're not very comfortable, unlike the LGT one, but seats were much better than the LGT seats. Overall, if I could, I get one of each. So far, I got the Legacy and love it. Specially since I got it for $5000 less than the pricing I got for the Aero.

When I drove the 9-3 Aero, I tried both manual and auto. It didn't seem like the power delivery was as linear as the subie. I recall more lag and the need to get it revving higher in order to get power. I don't typically like that type of power delivery.

I still have no idea what the hell this 9-6 sedan is about, can anyone link me to some info. I can't get anything on it.

I am brand new to this forum having just bought an 06 Legacy GT 3 days ago. Interestingly enough, the car I traded in was an 03 Saab 9-3 Arc 6 speed (210 hp turbo).

A few thoughts: The Saab was, hands down, the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I bought it new and it was back to the dealer no less than 12 times in the first year. Mostly electrical glitches. When I traded it earlier this week, the driver's window, rear door lock, and fuel level gauge were all malfunctioning. Truly a major POS.

That being said, the Saab offers a higher level of fit and finish than the Subaru. The leather still looked almost new after 74,000 miles. The seats in the Subaru have that thin cheesy Japaneese leather that I've seen wear out quickly (my wife's MDX had it too). The paint on the Saab was the best auto paint I have ever seen. No rock chips ever. It also had much better brakes than the Legacy does. More features too like memory seats, steering wheel controls and the 6 speed. The steering seemed like it had a bit more road feel than the Subaru. I also averaged mid-20's for mileage (and I drive very fast).

On the other hand, the Subaru's engine blows the Saab away. The only handling behavior the Saab knew was chronic understeer; not much fun.

So far I am pretty happy with the Subaru. I love the pasing power. The awd was a big factor for me too.

Due to the constant problems with my Saab, I would recommend staying away from one.

The steering seemed like it had a bit more road feel than the Subaru.

that's saying alot, b/c the lgt has excellent steering feel. CR says this about the LGT: "Steering feel and response are precise and communicative..." They also list it under Quick Picks "For those who want sporty driving, agility, and fun." Personally, I think the steering is magnificent; is prolly what sold me on the car as much as the acceleration.

As you pointed out, CR notes the 9-3's reliability is well-below average.

What color/options did you get?

The LGT definately has good steering feel compared to most cars out there, but there's better still, even among sedans/wagons. The LGT is my 3rd car, and its steering is the most numb of the three. I haven't driven the newest generation of 9-3s, so I can't compare their steering to the LGT's.

Going by looks and reviews, I think the 9-3 stacks up well against the Legacy *iff* AWD isn't important to you. The interior looks nice too except for the button overload, which puts even the Germans to shame and hurts usability, and it's probably built better. (I'd normally still prefer button overload to iDrive/MMI/etc, but the 9-3 has a really bad case of it...) On the outside the 9-3 sedan looks nicer than the LGT sedan, and the new 9-3 wagon looks good too, though its clear tails stand out too much for my taste and I think the LGT wagon looks better overall.

From what I've read the 9-3's new turbo v6 is somewhat unresponsive, but if the throttle is responsive then overall it's probably not much if any worse than the LGT's relatively responsive engine but laggy throttle.

Saab's reliability history is worse than Subaru's, but going by my experience with my LGT so far Subaru isn't doing too well either. I still trust Subaru reliability over Saab's though, or any european brand that's sold in the US for that matter (I haven't done much research on makes/models not sold here).

Ultimately I didn't consider the Saab because of its 2WD. The only reason I replaced my last car was to get AWD for driving in the snow and passing chain control w/o chains.

Matt, the steering response can be (cheaply) improved in three ways - 225/45/17 summer tires (or any good HP A/S), a rear sway bar, and/or by swapping out the springs with STI pinks. For ~ $2500 it's a great investment, bringing the car in the league of BMW and Audi wagons, to the extent those two are in the same league as each other =0.

anyway, you'll see a massive improvement in steering feel simply by adding higher performance rubber. In fact you might be surprised by the improvement. Whens the last time you drove an Audi or BMW with some low performance rubber in the league of the RE-92? I'll telll you - never ! LOL

Archived