LegacyGT.com

5mt axle seals

Max Capacity

OK what's the deal or difference.

Today I stopped by the dealer and picked up the left and right side seals, two different part numbers.

Above the p/n on each bag is printed 35x50x9.

Are they in fact the same size ?

The last 3 numbers in the p/n are different 806735290 for the left and 806735300 for the right.

I have the receipt in the car, I'll verify the p/n when I get home.

Is there really a difference in them ?

FWIW the tail shaft seal is 35x50x11.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I was curious when I did mine as well why there were two part numbers. The dimensions of the two seals appear to be the same.

The best I could see from looking at them is the small ridges/ribs on the inside of the outer-most seal lip are actually directional for some reason. If you picture them in the vehicle position (and if I'm remembering correctly from when I did them), the pattern will face forward for both sides (so the seals are essentially mirrored to one another). If the same part was used L/R, then one side would have this pattern backwards.

I don't know what these ribs are supposed to do functionally, but that's the best I could come up with. Maybe they are designed to reduce the drag on the half shafts (or seal better) in the primary direction of rotation.

I could also be way out in left field with this...

Last night I mentioned this question to my tranny guy. He knew exactly what the difference was. Yes, its those little wipers. They are directional.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

Archived